World Brandon Routh and Tom Welling presenting at Teen Choice Awards.

Bruce_Wayne29 said:
Batman Begins - Well at least it made profit domestically something this movie didn't do and it was supposed to and a lot of it....

Mainly due to that film's budget being less. Before the end of SR's run in theatres, it may likely make that 204 mill back (dom), it already has made its money back including international totals and other stuff according to Singer in that new AICN interview... but breaking the domestic; I'd give it some more time.

Bruce_Wayne29 said:
Don't count that direct to dvd/tv movie yet. I think it's exactly the opposite, ....

I was just stating you were misinformed about the Warner's plans for Direct to DVD for DC.... it only involved animation (that was actually stated in the press release itself).

Bruce_Wayne29 said:
It's already been confirmed that Tom WILL wear the suit in the end (so they will have to deal with it anyway and rumour has it the no suit is a restriction from the producers not Warner)....

The producers want Tom to wear the suit in the end, we'll see...but theres a major difference from wearing the costume briefly at the end of the series.... to marketing a dvd film with Tom Welling playing Superman. I really doubt the Warners would do that with the Superman films running in theatres. They put embargos on everything and there are lots of rights issues. We'll see how it pans out but its unlikely, I wouldnt bet on it.
The best chance for any type of Smallville film is the failure and cancellation of Singer's Superman movie franchaise.

Bruce_Wayne29 said:
and given that so many ppl want to see this happen it probably will in a way or another.)....

Haha. Just as many people wanted Bruce Wayne on Smallville and so did the producers, they fought for it... but it didnt make the slightest difference. WB and DC do things a certain way; I dont think they'll change their style on a whim.

Bruce_Wayne29 said:
The profit does count because it's an established franchise and it makes sense to take advantage of actors a vast majority of the public has acepted and loves in a new movie..

It wouldnt guarantee a better outcome than SR in theatres though. TV and movies are quite different. Smallville made that 200 mil over the world in the span of 5 years, SR made far over 300 mil worldwide in 40 days..
TV and Film = apples and oranges. The best way to compare SV to SR is Season 5 SV dvd sales VS SR dvd(s) sales.

Regardless, I'm sure the execs have done their research about the option of a Smallville movie for 2009 instead of SR II. If they truely believed it would fare much better than a Superman sequel, they'd greenlight it... We'll see. But I can make another wager with you that "SV the movie" wont happen.

Bruce_Wayne29 said:
The Brainiac thing - that goes exactly to prove my point, the guy can't do a Superman related movie that doesn't follow Donner's footsteps in one way or another. We'll have to wait and see what comes of it. Maybe it will be something good..

Um no. He didnt want to step on Donner's footsteps with what Donner was doing for Brainiac in the new Action Comics....thats why its prudent for Donner to decide what he wants to do with it first. DC wouldnt allow Singer to blantantly rip off recent comics anyways in that regard. The Brainiac story will likely be original.....hopefully somewhat respectful to some comic versions though.

I remember a rumor that said that Routh auditioned for Smallville...can anyone confirm?

He did. It wasnt a rumor. He said he did himself.

He wasnt right for the role of 15 year old teen Clark.

According to http://thewb.warnerbros.com/web/show_overview.jsp?id=SV
7th Heaven is the WB's highest rated show actually. Look at the numbers too. For whatever reason 7th Heaven has more viewers.
(Smallville is king in the male demographic though and that makes WB happy!)

Either way Smallville is a helluva lot better than 7th Heaven and I hope it wins whatever award it's nominated for (if any), like the best kiss award or cutest outfit for a superhero's girlfriend award or whatever weird award the Teen Choice has. I wonder what the Supermen will be presenting...

Deadman666 said:
Mainly due to that film's budget being less. Before the end of SR's run in theatres, it may likely make that 204 mill back (dom), it already has made its money back including international totals and other stuff according to Singer in that new AICN interview... but breaking the domestic; I'd give it some more time.

I was just stating you were misinformed about the Warner's plans for Direct to DVD for DC.... it only involved animation (that was actually stated in the press release itself).

The producers want Tom to wear the suit in the end, we'll see...but theres a major difference from wearing the costume briefly at the end of the series.... to marketing a dvd film with Tom Welling playing Superman. I really doubt the Warners would do that with the Superman films running in theatres. They put embargos on everything and there are lots of rights issues. We'll see how it pans out but its unlikely, I wouldnt bet on it.
The best chance for any type of Smallville film is the failure and cancellation of Singer's Superman movie franchaise.

Haha. Just as many people wanted Bruce Wayne on Smallville and so did the producers, they fought for it... but it didnt make the slightest difference. WB and DC do things a certain way; I dont think they'll change their style on a whim.

It wouldnt guarantee a better outcome than SR in theatres though. TV and movies are quite different. Smallville made that 200 mil over the world in the span of 5 years, SR made far over 300 mil worldwide in 40 days..
TV and Film = apples and oranges. The best way to compare SV to SR is Season 5 SV dvd sales VS SR dvd(s) sales.

Regardless, I'm sure the execs have done their research about the option of a Smallville movie for 2009 instead of SR II. If they truely believed it would fare much better than a Superman sequel, they'd greenlight it... We'll see. But I can make another wager with you that "SV the movie" wont happen.

Um no. He didnt want to step on Donner's footsteps with what Donner was doing for Brainiac in the new Action Comics....thats why its prudent for Donner to decide what he wants to do with it first. DC wouldnt allow Singer to blantantly rip off recent comics anyways in that regard. The Brainiac story will likely be original.....hopefully somewhat respectful to some comic versions though.

Granted it had a smaller budget but less than a third of the marketing this movie had, aside from the die hard fans very few ppl knew a new Batman movies was coming that June. Still my point is with a lesser marketing the movie payed itself and gave profit before going overseas. SR with the marketing it had should have done what Pirates has done even because it's a more popular and light Superhero like Spidey.
The Bruce Wayne on SV is a slightly different thing as they wanted to establish this new franchise and getting it out without the risk of an actor in the show getting as much or more recognition in the role as the one they cast for the movie (similar to the Tom Welling situation).
But that's a unique situation and it is doubtful that that would happen even because Bale is someone the fans wanted from the get go and it a great actor, unlike with all due respect Brandon who was cast because he looked like Chris which makes sense given the kind of movie Singer wanted to make.
The producers are still fighting for Bruce and I think there's reason to still have some hope as some of the embargos have been lifted (Jimmy Olsen for instance a month ago was one of those embargos and then 2 weeks later they allowed him to be used, the no-Kryptonians was another) so never say never.
Just one last thing that number I gave for the SV profits is not for the 5 years, it's a yearly profit.

LostSon88 said:
I remember a rumor that said that Routh auditioned for Smallville...can anyone confirm?

Yes both he and Kate Bosworth auditioned for SV and both were left off. I don't know if there was any preference over Bosworth other than Kirsten Kreuk but I know Brandon got on the finalists list but then other actors like Jensen Ankles and ultimately Tom Welling himself were prefered by the producers, the network and the studio.

Bruce_Wayne29 said:
Granted it had a smaller budget but less than a third of the marketing this movie had, aside from the die hard fans very few ppl knew a new Batman movies was coming that June. Still my point is with a lesser marketing the movie payed itself and gave profit before going overseas. SR with the marketing it had should have done what Pirates has done even because it's a more popular and light Superhero like Spidey..

Technically no, Batman is the more popular of the two with the films of the previous franchaise in recent memory. All Superman had in recent history was the Lois and Clark series....which is pretty much forgotten today.

Alot of people even thought Begins was in continuity with the previous films originally.

Bruce_Wayne29 said:
The Bruce Wayne on SV is a slightly different thing as they wanted to establish this new franchise and getting it out without the risk of an actor in the show getting as much or more recognition in the role as the one they cast for the movie (similar to the Tom Welling situation).
But that's a unique situation and it is doubtful that that would happen even because Bale is someone the fans wanted from the get go and it a great actor, unlike with all due respect Brandon who was cast because he looked like Chris which makes sense given the kind of movie Singer wanted to make.
The producers are still fighting for Bruce and I think there's reason to still have some hope as some of the embargos have been lifted (Jimmy Olsen for instance a month ago was one of those embargos and then 2 weeks later they allowed him to be used, the no-Kryptonians was another) so never say never...

Kryptonians...yes, Jimmy Olsen..no. There wasnt any restrictions on bringing daily planet characters in; Jimmy, Lois, Perry.... there were only restrictions on how Smallville used them. Ex: Lois and never be romantic with Clark or have deep association with Lex Luthor.

Even a year after Batman Begins, they still couldnt get Bruce rights. Deknight said 'Bruce and Diana are off the table'.... the film dept is very strict about the useage of these characters in live action, there can be only one interpretation.

The deal with Superman Returns and Smallville is one is the adventures of teenage Clark in Smallville discovering himself, and the other is the adventures of Superman. They wont run 2 adventures of Superman films at the same time... unless they totally change their practices, which I find unlikely.

Bruce_Wayne29 said:
Just one last thing that number I gave for the SV profits is not for the 5 years, it's a yearly profit.

Still my point was one year compared to 40 days. Smallville made most of that from DVD sales. The SR DVD(s) arent even out yet; neither is the state of the art SR video game which could be very popular. Mattel already reported a noticeable increase in sales thanks to SR merchandising. Give SR the same amount of time, and it will get vastly more money than Smallville...

Why? Because its a motion picture. It isnt fair comparing it to a television series regardless.

I don't like either Routh or Welling. There both very similiar to a 6'4 piece of cardboard.

Deadman666 said:
Kryptonians...yes, Jimmy Olsen..no. There wasnt any restrictions on bringing daily planet characters in; Jimmy, Lois, Perry.... there were only restrictions on how Smallville used them. Ex: Lois and never be romantic with Clark or have deep association with Lex Luthor.

Hum...no. There was a restriction on Jimmy and that was only recently lifted. That was said by DeKnight himself. Up until a week or two of the announcement that he was gonna be used, Warner Feature division didn't wanted them to use Jimmy. Maybe SR's disapointing box office will make them rethink those restrictions.
You're right about Lois. I'm not sure about Perry since he was only used once but we may find out this year as there's rumors he might show up again.

So then why were they allowed to mention Jimmy freely in season 4?

Bruce_Wayne29 said:
Maybe SR's disapointing box office will make them rethink those restrictions.

Hopefully not. Batman's disapointing BO (and it was less than expected apparently) never stopped them from saying no to Bruce Wayne on Smallville.

It worked out for the best.

Mention is one thing, appearing is another. That's why I expect them to mention Bruce in talks or newspapers like they did with Oliver even if they can't use them fisically.
I seriously doubt that Warner were expecting a huge blockbuster with Begins given the way it was done (being less accessible than the 4 previous movies, shot as an indy movie and with less marketing that was expected) but they still did very well, it's the second or third highest grossing Batman movie. I think they did it this way as to let word of mouth rebuild Batman's movie reputation. I expect the sequel to have more marketing and make more money.
And hopefully they will rethink those restrictions. (I know you don't want it but I do..llol)

Pickle-El said:
Actually, it's Routh that has no need to approach Welling. AT ALL. That's just the way the cards turned out. As the posters......(though we've seen Routh's act. He's a nice kid, he'll probably approach Welling.)

At this minute though, there's a huge media blitz in Japan and Germany with Brandon Routh's face.....I don't think Tom Welling will ever get that kind of international fame. (or do play devils advocate, infamy)

Once again, how could he have the gall to ever 'blow off' Brandon Routh?

I can see the reponses to my post already....

ps. I know Welling wouldn't ever purposely do that anyway.....he's not that kind of 'star'. Just playing out a scenario. It'd be like Dean Cain blowing off Tom Welling or some BS like that. :o

Uh say what? He presented from his own seat. :o

Having his face everywhere is not helping the movie, or him, AT ALL. Also having your face everywhere doesn't equal fame, this is only temporary, while Welling's face is on TV weekly.

I would love to see the show, but unfortunately they don't show it here :o so how were they? I heard Tom was there for about a minute? Did Brandon and Tom present together? It would have been a cool idea, but I doubt that they actually did it :(

ec86 said:
I would love to see the show, but unfortunately they don't show it here :o so how were they? I heard Tom was there for about a minute? Did Brandon and Tom present together? It would have been a cool idea, but I doubt that they actually did it :(

They didn't. Tom presented with an actress (don't remember who it was at the moment) and they presented an award to Johnny Depp...
w49592108.jpg

w49592131.jpg

]
w49592116gu4.jpg

w49586349dw4.jpg

and the handshake with Johnny:
tca2006tomdeppchunk42fv3.gif

w49592131.jpg
He looks so much more mature with the hair brushed back. Now that's how Superman should look.

OMG you can't imagine how happy you made me with the pix. Thank you SO much.:eek: :supes: you really made my day :)

:cmad:

Damn! I missed it. Was it last night? If so, does anyone knoe if it'll repeat? Anyone have pics of Routh there as well?

Wow, that show sucked. One more prove why teens should never vote for anything important.

Anyway, Tom owned Brandon alone with his looks. The "Singerman sucks" blog has a funny take on the show: Check it out!

Deadman666 said:
Even a year after Batman Begins, they still couldnt get Bruce rights. Deknight said 'Bruce and Diana are off the table'.... the film dept is very strict about the useage of these characters in live action, there can be only one interpretation.

Sorry to interrupt your debate but have you read the latest SV spoilers?
-->
Gough and Millar already confirmed that we will see Green Arrow and the foundation of the Justice League in season 6!
:eek:
And like last year I bet there will be one or two more newcomers. The "Martian Manhunter" had already been in talks for the last season.
If SV should enter a 7th season you can count on Diana Prince and Bruce Wayne. Even if they are only briefly in the final episode of the season/series - they will appear.
The route the show's heading I wouldn't even be surprised to see Hal Jordan or Kyle Rayner as GL.

Deknight will deny that as long he can because that way the impact of the announcements will be higher. Just look at the ratings impact Lois Lane and Aquaman had. And you pretty much wrote it yourself - SV deals with the teenage version of Clark and ultimately also all the JL members. That could skip the need to show Bruce or Diana in their final costumes.

he looks so much better with the short hair ;) but he also looks fantastic with the Superman hair :D and the Clark hair. So he looks always perfect LOL

btw: Superman Returns was nominated once or more. Maybe that's why Brandon was there.

Awesome. But i want to know if he won anything or maybe presented?

Kid_Kaos said:
Wow, that show sucked. One more prove why teens should never vote for anything important.

Anyway, Tom owned Brandon alone with his looks. The "Singerman sucks" blog has a funny take on the show: Check it out!

Sorry to interrupt your debate but have you read the latest SV spoilers?
-->
Gough and Millar already confirmed that we will see Green Arrow and the foundation of the Justice League in season 6!
:eek:
And like last year I bet there will be one or two more newcomers. The "Martian Manhunter" had already been in talks for the last season.
If SV should enter a 7th season you can count on Diana Prince and Bruce Wayne. Even if they are only briefly in the final episode of the season/series - they will appear.
The route the show's heading I wouldn't even be surprised to see Hal Jordan or Kyle Rayner as GL.

Deknight will deny that as long he can because that way the impact of the announcements will be higher. Just look at the ratings impact Lois Lane and Aquaman had. And you pretty much wrote it yourself - SV deals with the teenage version of Clark and ultimately also all the JL members. That could skip the need to show Bruce or Diana in their final costumes.

Yeah and freeze breath is also debuting this season. Quite possibly on the episode "Sneeze".

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"