Breaking the realism?

Discussion in 'Thor' started by Aluchak, Mar 15, 2009.

1. Aluchak Registered

Tony Stark is an engineering genius, Bruce Banner got radiated by Gamma Rays, Henry Pym invented a suit that shrinks him down to the size of an ant, and Steve Rogers is a man who signed up for the Super Soldier program. They all have something to do with science.

Thor on the other hand is an immortal with a giant hammer, long blonde hair, and is a norse god. How is that going to adapt well on-screen with all the other characters? Unless they pull a lot of creative licenses on him, making the only thing similar to the comic book Thor is the name.

2. SuperFerret King of the Urban Jungle

Science isn't the only force in a fictional universe.

3. Aluchak Registered

I don't think it will translate well on-screen though. If your a non-comic fan and you go into watch this movie for a fun night, would you being laughing your *** off every time Thor comes in and says "I AM THE GOD OF THUNDER!!! I WILL SMASH YOU WITH MY HAMMER!!!". I know I would.

4. SuperFerret King of the Urban Jungle

If Thor were real, I mean really, really real, and he said that, I'd laugh so hard my spleen would explode. But, realistically portrayed, Thor wouldn't exclaim that.

5. Katsuro Registered

They could do it like The Ultimates, where the rest of the team treats him like he's crazy. Anyone who saw the standalone Thor movie would know that's not the case, and he really is the Norse God of Thunder, but if you're just watching The Avengers, you think he might just be a nut with some wierd technology.

6. WarBlade Registered

A bit of a side note here, but this setting clash was mentioned quite a while back by none other than Favreau himself...

Source

Third paragraph quoted below...

Another one. Source

7. Canis Sapiens Ragnarök and roll!

I think this could work very well. It would help the audience to become Thor's accomplice and identify with him - c'mon, we all love a misunderstood character. :oldrazz:

And that could be the source of a LOT of pretty humorous scenes, too.

#7 Canis Sapiens, Mar 15, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2009
  8. Canis Sapiens Ragnarök and roll!

I remember that. If anything, it shows that Favreau and the Marvel guys are giving the issue some thought. Nice find!

9. marcvader Lurker #1

I think everyone will identify with him as he will have been the star of his own blockbuster the year before. Thor has the chance to be a really charismatic and, as I've said in other threads, larger than life.

10. Canis Sapiens Ragnarök and roll!

But the issue here is not winning the heart of his solo movie audience... It's winning the hearts of the Iron Man, Cap, Hulk fans and average movie goers who will come to see the Avengers... you know, the ones who may not buy the idea of a Norse God mixed with all those sci-fi concepts.

#10 Canis Sapiens, Mar 15, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2009
  11. Shivsguy616 Registered

In a science fiction world where a man can turn into a giant green monster, why would it be hard to believe that people can travel from one dimention to another???

12. marcvader Lurker #1

The bottom line is that it's all fantasy and Marvel needs to market it as such. They need to have faith and be confident in the material. It's up to them to make it work and I'm confident they will. I'm thinking Thor will be huge, which will be important in the publics ability to accept him to be side by side with the others fighting a common foe. Superhero movies are superhero movies regardless of wether its science or magic based and i repeat the marketing of the Avengers will be vital.

13. Marz69 Registered

They may see him as a sort of weather man... Like Storm but only deals in thunder/lightening.

14. Chewy REDACTED

I agree with this.

Also, this is a fictional world, and there is nothing realistic about becoming a giant green monster

15. TheCorpulent1 SHAZAM!

While I'm not a fan of putting anything from the Ultimate comics into anything besides other Ultimate comics, I see no reason why anyone else on the Avengers would have to believe Thor is a real god. We, the audience, would know since we saw the realm of Asgard in Thor's movie by then, but it makes a lot more sense for other people in the Avengers movie to write Thor off as just a crazy guy.

Regardless of their opinions, though, he'll clearly be powerful enough to warrant a spot on the team. Just have Fury say something like, "He's probably crazy, but so long as he keeps breaking titanium for Uncle Sam with that hammer of his, we'll indulge him."
    Thor can use any kind of weather, not just thunder and lightning.

16. Colossal Spoons Paper boi

Thor might be a little ridiculous at times on the big screen, but somebody has to introduce magic to the new Marvel movie-verse :up:

17. SuperFerret King of the Urban Jungle

I still don't understand why Thor won't mesh well with the rest of the Avengers. It's not like there haven't been other movies where magic coexists with science.

18. TheCorpulent1 SHAZAM!

Yeah, what does it matter where the power comes from, so long as he can punch a guy through 3 feet of concrete and shoot lightning?

19. D-Man22 Registered

Like someone said above I think Thor can be made like Storm with a hammer. It could work.

20. TheCorpulent1 SHAZAM!

It's sad that people say "Storm with a hammer" like it's a good thing. Thor's a thousand times cooler than Storm right off the bat, as far as I'm concerned.

21. SuperFerret King of the Urban Jungle

Thor can't rock a mohawk like Ororo though.

22. marcvader Lurker #1

Thanks for that

23. TheCorpulent1 SHAZAM!

Maybe he could...

24. yoshimura Registered

Long blonde hair is real :oldrazz:

25. Rich Santoro Addicted to degeneracy

It is all abouit writing... If they do it well, it will kick ass like Army of Darkness. If they don't... it will look like Beast Master 2.