Discussion: UK Politics

Just to add as well this brexit process wouldn't fly in any other walk of life. 10 years ago I tried to buy a flat, I agreed a price and left it with a solicitor. After 2 months of negotiations the solicitor told me there was an issue with the deeds, it looked like it could be a long and expensive process, he asked me if I wanted to continue on with the expense to get documents, did I just want to risk it and continue or did I want to pull out? I weighed up everything I now knew and changed my mind.
You make a decision and leave it in the hands of the experts, the experts fail to get an agreement, they then ask you if you're sure you want to proceed.

What's the issue?

If the public feels the same about Brexit, what is the issue? That is what kills me about the idea you can't vote again. It's almost like those that want to leave are afraid the reality of the situation has hurt their position. Also when Putin starts agreeing with you, you need to start examining your decision making. :funny:

If the public feels the same about Brexit, what is the issue? That is what kills me about the idea you can't vote again. It's almost like those that want to leave are afraid the reality of the situation has hurt their position. Also when Putin starts agreeing with you, you need to start examining your decision making. :funny:

I think its a dangerous one to redo for the simple reason if they get a different result it could cause some major issues in terms of what we deem democratic. Unless its a total white wash this time like 92% Remain and 8% Leave so its incredibly clear that pretty much the entirety of the country changed their mind on the issue. What happens if the vote swings the other way this time with similar percentages? You surely have to have a third vote because if you are going to disregard more than half the vote once you have to be willing to do it again.

I have no vested interest in whatever they do end up with remain or leave, I just think whatever they do you are going to have a lot of British people left feeling very disenfranchised. There doesn't seem to be any good way for everyone out of this.

I think its a dangerous one to redo for the simple reason if they get a different result it could cause some major issues in terms of what we deem democratic. Unless its a total white wash this time like 92% Remain and 8% Leave so its incredibly clear that pretty much the entirety of the country changed their mind on the issue. What happens if the vote swings the other way this time with similar percentages? You surely have to have a third vote because if you are going to disregard more than half the vote once you have to be willing to do it again.

I have no vested interest in whatever they do end up with remain or leave, I just think whatever they do you are going to have a lot of British people left feeling very disenfranchised. There doesn't seem to be any good way for everyone out of this.

On a practical level though I am of the opinion that anything that get's decided 52% to 48% can hardly be described as a "mandate" either. That's me.

I totally agree that there should be a 3rd vote in that situation, not just a Remain wins next time so we take that as the final result. But Brexit is a major change from the status quo. You don't lose majorly overnight when you don't change anything so a remain vote doesn't have the same short-term potential consequences. It should have required a certain majority rather than just anything over 50% in a one-off vote while half (at least) the country knew nothing about the issues to confirm.

Heard on the news that the outcome of a 'NO deal' will result in a world of s**t for me based on the fact evidently 99% of all insulin for UK Diabetic consumption is imported and so if there is this 'cock up' at the docks and ferry entrance network, is indicating there are no provisions for back up with the expectation of 48 hrs delays to all incoming insulin with no chemists given a Plan B for stockpile, so basically once and IF a no deal occurs, I'll be dead in 2 days from the end of March. Great.

May just lost the meaningful vote by 230 votes...

Corbyn with the call for the vote of confidence.

United States and United Kingdom are united in ****ting themselves in front of the world.

Corbyn, the eurosceptic in charge of the biggest pro-remain party. I don’t see any possible solution lol. He doesn’t have any possible position that will be ok to both himself and his party.

Interesting to see Poland now breaking away and suggesting a solution to the back up section of the withdrawal deal.... this is why No Deal being on the table is still a thing.

So why don't they just do a second referendum?

Because that will end up causing more issues than it could solve... What do you put as the option? Remain was taken off the table in the last vote and May's deal (as it was) was demolished last week...

Eh we're at a point where the ERG and a few other of the head bangers have moved the goalposts that much that anything but a no deal is a betrayal of the "will of the people".

There isn't a result or deal that heals the division in this country.

it's coming clearer that there isn't....

Scary thing is I think a number of people in this country want no deal brexit no matter what it costs. It's gone beyond politics.

The Telegraph - Sony and Panasonic scramble to soften blow of no-deal Brexit

Electronics giant Sony is planning to merge its UK-headquartered European business into its Dutch arm as Japanese companies manoeuvre to soften the impact of a no-deal Brexit.

The move will see Sony’s £3.3bn European business register its corporate seat, effectively its legal headquarters, in Amsterdam.

The combined arm will be responsible for the Tokyo giant’s electronics business in Europe. The deal will be completed on March 29 2019, according to merger documents reviewed by The Daily Telegraph.

The deal will see its current Weybridge-based arm merged into the new business, but will not cost jobs.

Heard on the news that the outcome of a 'NO deal' will result in a world of s**t for me based on the fact evidently 99% of all insulin for UK Diabetic consumption is imported and so if there is this 'cock up' at the docks and ferry entrance network, is indicating there are no provisions for back up with the expectation of 48 hrs delays to all incoming insulin with no chemists given a Plan B for stockpile, so basically once and IF a no deal occurs, I'll be dead in 2 days from the end of March. Great.

Absolutely understandable why you're so concerned mate. But the news are just spreading a bit of panic over this.

Channel 4 News - Are insulin supplies really at risk from a no-deal Brexit?

JDRF- JDRF update on insulin supplies in the event of a no deal Brexit – January 17, 2019

Novo Nordisk CEO reassures UK patients over Brexit insulin supplies

We could have Oliver Queen as Mayor though, or Lex Luthor as President!

Gotta love the whole "keep voting until we get our way" train of thought.

Like someone else said: you take a second vote, you win by 5% or whatever. Why wouldn't the pro-Brexiteers be justified in demanding a third one in 6 months under the guise of "more information's come out since the vote"?

Democracy doesn't do do-overs. The vote probably shouldn't have been held in the first place, but given it was, you do the right thing and respect the outcome. Voting doesn't require huge margins, just a majority. Like any election of a head of state or whatever, no different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"