• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Brian Michael Bendis is takeing over Marvel!

Eros

Superhero
Reaction score
Okay i love Bendis, and im not trying to bash him at all. But has anyone not noticed this guy has his hands in ever major marvel comic book in the past 6 years? The guy basically is in one way or another writing or plotting the Ultimate Universe, he is writing the New Avengers. He brought back D and C string heroes [Luke Cage,Spider-woman etc] into mainstream attention. He got spider-woman and her won new origin [which was co-written buy him]. Took over Daredevil [successfully] while writing Ultimate spider-man[sucessfully]. He created a character [Jessica Jones] and got her her own popular comic series[which he wrote]. Was allowed to retcon Jessica jones origin into the early days of spider-mans life.
He is writing every major Marvel event, or ploting it from behind the scenes. He wrote House of M, and is i garantee you is plotting in some form the events of the civil War. Basically in 6 years Bendis went from being an aclaimed crime comic writer, to an aclaimed powerhouse super-hero comic Book writer. whos influence has allowed him into doing things other long-time Marvel writers would not even suggest at a meeting. Possibly this influence is based on the fact they they don't want him to jump ship to DC, and thus give him what ever he asks for. I like the guy, but in a short time he went from being Bruce Jones to to Stan Lee in only 6 years! [AMAZING]

Not this is all my thoughts, and i would like to hear what you guys views on Bendis grand rise to Marvel power.:) Their hasn't been a more successfull rise to fame and power since Stan Lee with his artist teams in the 60s.

Bendis did some killer stuff with Alias and Daredevil.

Haven't read USM alot,so can't comment on that.

New Avengers has been hit and miss for alot of people.I thought the Sentry arc was a good intro for the character back in the MU.Ronin was OKAY,nothing great.Collective was the book's best arc IMO,nothing special,just straight up action.NA:Disassmebled has started off on a good note as well.

He brought back Luke Cage,Iron Fist,Spider-Woman,and several other villains from obscurity.

I've never seen a more talked about writer in the business.When he's good,he's really good (DD),and he has misses as well like other writers.However,he isn't the hack alot of people make him out to be.

Someone with his style isn't meant for big projects like "House of M" or New Avengers. His specialty is smaller, more dark, character-driven material that doesn't have to be too concerned with the continuity of other titles.

deemar325 said:
Bendis is ruining Marvel.
How's that?

Did he ruin the FF?

Ghost Rider?

Dr. Strange?

Spider-Man?

The X-Men?

Punisher?

certainly not Daredevil

so, really you just don't like his Avengers? that hardly qualifies as "Marvel" in general

Bendis isn't a very good writer. Anybody who would write something as sloppy as Avengers Disassembled, and as unmemorable as New Avengers, with it's always terrible story arc conclusions, proves that the early stuff was just a fluke. (and I really never liked his early stuff THAT much, but at least it was credible)

The sooner his 15 minutes of fame are up, the better. His "write for the trade" mentality that Marvel embraced has done more damage to the industry than any good, if any, that Bendis ever did.

since when do "fluke" writers win 5 Eisners? :rolleyes:

That Tom Hanks is a real fluke actor, too. Those Oscar nominations were just beginers luck. His 15 minutes will be over soon, too.

Actually, I don't like Tom Hanks in anything but comedic roles. Something must be wrong with me :p

hey, Saving Private Ryan was hysterical

Bendis is great at decompressed story telling but that's about it - he's a one trick pony.

read Fortune and Glory or Total Sell Out

bendis is not good on the mainstream superhero books plain and simple. he belongs on books like heroes for hire,daredevil,punisher, and maybe ghost rider.

::shrug:: just naming big Marvel characters Bendis has never touched. GR has never stayed popular for long periods of time, but he is a Marvel Mainstay. He was just one of a dozen names I could have mentioned.

Please guys, the Bendis bashing is getting boring even for me. If youre going to make posts like Bendis cant write this or hes ruining Marvel, at least make some valid arguments. *sigh*

True there haven't been any valid arguements. Just random rants as darthphere said. I say as long as he keeps writing kick ass ultimate Spidey arcs. I'm happy

savespidone said:
True there haven't been any valid arguements. Just random rants as darthphere said. I say as long as he keeps writing kick ass ultimate Spidey arcs. I'm happy

Has he written any "kickass" USM arcs lately?

mmm, no, not really. Best USM in recent memory was the annual, and that was the better part of a year ago

Elijya said:
mmm, no, not really. Best USM in recent memory was the annual, and that was the better part of a year ago

All ive heard is bad things after Gwen Stacy dying and that Hollywood arc.

To be honest I've only read up to the end of the Carnage arc. Gwen's death seemed a bit much.... and Carnage was not as good as he could have been. But yeah, I reckon they were kickass. If you disagree that's fair enogh

ultimate spider-man is my favorite comic. it takes peter bak to a teenager and the writing is brilliant. plus its not just a rehash of other stories there all unique although similar stuff comes with that i.e villians

have you ever tried Invincible, Secret?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"