Brooklyn Man Electrocuted After Urinating on Subway’s ‘Third Rail’

They already covered it a long time ago. CONFIRMED

pretty sure it wasn't, something about the stream not being steady enough to hold the charge

Yes, my memory for that MBUSTERS ep is they used an electric fence to test this out and it came up a big fat BUSTED. And I'm betting in a drunken state this guys body, somehow touched the rail.

I'll be honest, coming from a small town and having ridden a subway twice in my life, I wouldn't have known about the "third rail" if it weren't for a very informative episode of Transformers: Prime. On a hunt for the sacred "relics", Arcee and Bumblebee wound up fighting Decepticons in an under-construction subway. The third rail was the focal point of the episode, terrifying the Autobots, the annoying humans and, ultimately, used to gain the upper hand in the battle. I was like, "damn, I'm never going to walk on a railway now!"

pretty sure it wasn't, something about the stream not being steady enough to hold the charge

I think it was plausible given a steady enough stream, but that's unlikely given human anatomy.

I guess I should cross "make love to a light socket" off my agenda, then? :csad::o

Just be careful. If the light socket was manufactured less than 18 years ago, it's statutory rape.

And trust me, telling the judge, "well, it was dressed up and looked like a much older light socket" doesn't work as a legal defence. :(

I can't lie. I've always been tempted to jump on the third rail because I thought the sign might be a bluff .

I'm too much of a risk.

I just watched the mythbusters clip. They used a dummy to pee on the rail and it didn't work. It did however shock the dummy when they had it pee and hold onto the rail at the same time.

Lesson to be learned, whatever you do don't piss and touch the 3rd rail.

Yes, my memory for that MBUSTERS ep is they used an electric fence to test this out and it came up a big fat BUSTED. And I'm betting in a drunken state this guys body, somehow touched the rail.

Maybe they need to re-test this myth.

I think it was plausible given a steady enough stream, but that's unlikely given human anatomy.
Clearly there's always someone who is more than willing to prove the rest of humanity wrong in the most dangerous ways possible.

Clearly there's always someone who is more than willing to prove the rest of humanity wrong in the most dangerous ways possible.

Of course. If you tell someone not to do something, they will inevitably do it.

Mythbusters did one reenactment of the pissing on the third rail "myth," using a dummy rigged to squirt urine (or fake urine) onto an electrified rail. Their model didn't release a steady stream of piss but rather droplets, so the liquid couldn't serve as a conductor for the current. But since it wasn't anatomically correct, there has to be a question of whether an actual human being could produce a steady enough stream of urine to conduct electricity. Unfortunately, none of the guys on Mythbusters was willing to put it on the line to get accurate results. :funny:

Now we need someone to confirm or bust that myth.

Does anyone actually watch Mythbusters out of scientific interest? I watch it to see the cast build crazy stuff to carry out an insane experiment that ultimately ends in something gloriously being destroyed.

"We've rigged up these two giant trucks to be remotely controlled to see just how badly an economy car would be crushed if caught in the middle of a head-on collision. Let's watch what happens, and then see it again in slow motion."

No one I know takes it as scientific fact. They try to be as accurate as possible but some of the myths they're busting are not factual to begin with or very hard to reproduce.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"