Bruce/Hulk as a mutant...mutant powers explained from a different slant

thorstone

Civilian
Reaction score
I'd think it would be more interesting and much simpler to have explained Banner's reaction to the gamma radiation as a triggering and literal explosion of his mutation. His powers are quite similar to other comic characters out there, just he is stronger than everyone other than :supes: .

Like various comic characters his skin is almost inorganic in some versions. Like Swamp Thing his power is only limited by his mind. Like Onslaught, he is a manifestation of the character's mind. He can heal like Wolverine.

Because of his mental issues he also has multiple forms...if only he had a power similar to Multiple Man, the forms could depart resulting in several different personalities all with the same strength.

I read the mutants in Marvel comics not as physical mutations but rather physical manifestations of the minds of the characters.

I could see Wolverine hunting the Hulk; that would make a good movie. Hulk could be in a Spiderman or Wolverine movie in the future. He is an icon who hasn't been in a good film yet.

thorstone said:
I'd think it would be more interesting and much simpler to have explained Banner's reaction to the gamma radiation as a triggering and literal explosion of his mutation. His powers are quite similar to other comic characters out there, just he is stronger than everyone other than :supes: .

Like various comic characters his skin is almost inorganic in some versions. Like Swamp Thing his power is only limited by his mind. Like Onslaught, he is a manifestation of the character's mind. He can heal like Wolverine.

Because of his mental issues he also has multiple forms...if only he had a power similar to Multiple Man, the forms could depart resulting in several different personalities all with the same strength.

I read the mutants in Marvel comics not as physical mutations but rather physical manifestations of the minds of the characters.

I could see Wolverine hunting the Hulk; that would make a good movie. Hulk could be in a Spiderman or Wolverine movie in the future. He is an icon who hasn't been in a good film yet.

Hulk has no real reason to be a mutant and Hulk can beat the **** out of Superman.

Yes he does. Technically Bruce was born a mutant. :confused:

Sabretooth said:
Yes he does. Technically Bruce was born a mutant. :confused:

Bruce was born with enhanced genes due to the fact that his own father experimented on himself & passed it along to his son like it was some type of inherited disease but he didn't have any power until after he was exposed to the nanomeds & gamma radiation.

thorstone said:

Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

ampersand said:
Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
I have nothing to add, so I quoted.

James L Howlett said:
Not in the comic.

I'm pretty sure you're wrong (though I may be mistaken). As far as I can remember, Bruce's father experimented in gamma radiation, something that led to his father suspecting that (due to the radiation) Bruce had been born with some kind of genetic defect. This defect was in fact real, and helped Bruce absorb the gamma radiation from the G-Bomb when the time arrived.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here... I'm drawing from memory.

As far as I remember it was an assumption by his father & also a story that was coined way after the original story & was never fully touched on as absolute just conjecture by his father (I think, I could be wrong ).

I don’t have the book but you can read this http://www.hulknews.com/hulkdatabase/incarnations.php#footnotes & read at least to paragraph 5 & read all of this http://www.incrediblehulk.com/bannerhistory.html. I don’t believe it was ever proven & just psychotic paranoia on his dad’s part & nothing more. Bruce turned because of the physical & mental trauma that his father put him through because his father THOUGHT even before marrying Bruce’s mother & because of his twisted past that his offspring would be evil (the guy was a loon).

Bruce’s own physical & mental psychosis caused his change not latent xenomutant genes. Gamma radiation (in the Marvel universe) turn the user into their deepest &/or darkest desire. Just look at Doc. Samson, his desire was to become a super hero & he did (sort of) with no latent xenomutant genes. As have many others, so after all this you draw your own conclusions because I may or may not be wrong but the fact is that back-story came out way after the fact much like Origins so fans either accept it or they don’t.

It is a neat tidbit of info. that was obscurely touched on but interesting.

<(o_o)> said:
Bruce was born with enhanced genes due to the fact that his own father experimented on himself & passed it along to his son like it was some type of inherited disease but he didn't have any power until after he was exposed to the nanomeds & gamma radiation.
But he was still mutated.

Read this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mutant_(fictional). Bruce would be considered a xenomutant if the ASSUMPTIONS by his psychotic father were actually touched upon & proven instead of being an obsessive compulsive idea that he projected on his wife & son in the form of physical & mental abuse.

If we're talking in the context of the comics that is. In the movie he would be considered a xenomutant, but yeah a mutant nonetheless.

Basically my reading of mutants is that they are not physical mutations/ freaks of nature. Instead, the true evolution is in the brain of the mutant. The power observed, such as Storm's abilities or even Wolverine's claws, is a physical manifestation generated by the mind. Some mutants like Jean Grey or Professor X have powers that are directly related to their minds.

I'm only pointing out that neither the recent movie's explanation nor the old comic book explanation work. Any normal human exposed to the radiation is not going to turn into the Hulk. The explanation in the recent movie was so complicated it almost ruined the movie; then the poodle happened and it was officially ruined. And the final fight just threw the whole thing over a cliff into ****ville.

It would be easier to just say he was a mutant who had suppressed his powers along with his emotions to a boiling point where the exposure to the radiation caused a horrific "mutation" to occur. Think of it like Wolverine going through Weapon X.

One explanation in one of Marvel's continuities says Bruce was trying to duplicate the powers of Weapon I, Captain America, and the result was he turned himself into the Hulk.

It would all fit together better in a Wolverine movie anyways.

Kent said:
I'm pretty sure you're wrong (though I may be mistaken). As far as I can remember, Bruce's father experimented in gamma radiation, something that led to his father suspecting that (due to the radiation) Bruce had been born with some kind of genetic defect. This defect was in fact real, and helped Bruce absorb the gamma radiation from the G-Bomb when the time arrived.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here... I'm drawing from memory.
That was Bruce's father's drunken delusion. It was just an excuse for him to beat on Bruce, since he never really wanted a child.

Umm show me a who shoots kinetic energy from his eyes and then you can say that the hulks origin in unbelievable when a 1 in a billion chance(hint hint that banners survival was lucky or simply DESTINY) of the change into a the hulk from a puny human is impossible. Its enough spidermans origin got retooled to be mystical. To try to make the hulk into a mutant lacks imagination.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"