Budget...Rising?!

Cmill216

Senior Case Officer
Reaction score
From the Studio Briefing Movie News section of IMDb:

Escalating special effects costs have boosted the budget of Sony's Spider-Man 3, scheduled for release on May 4, 2007, to between $250 million and $300 million, the Wall Street Journal reported over the weekend, citing people close to the studio. The newspaper also said that at least three other films relying heavily on special effects will see their budgets exceed $200 million. They include 20th Century Fox's X-Men sequel ($210 million), Disney's Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest ($225 million) and Warner Bros.' Superman Returns ($261 million). Commented the Journal: "The price tags underscore that effects, not stars, sell big movies these days." It also noted that the skyrocketing costs have result in increased tensions between the studios, trying to keep costs down, and the effects houses.

EDIT: I expect Powder to be adding this to the FAQ thread, or at least move this there. :up:

sweet find, wasn't someone just saying they knew someone that was working for the movie in the effects house and that they were pissed off at the studio?

cmill216 said:

EDIT: I expect Powder to be adding this to the FAQ thread, or at least move this there. :up:

Great find Cmill. ppl are spoiled by sfx these days they no longer care about the art. Good example would be King kong which was hype because of the effects invovled and nothing more.

with all the money they're spending on this movie. it better be flawless. We only have 3 more months to get a hint as to if this movie will be Perfection.

cmill216 said:

Thanks cmill, can you provide me a link?

Thanks cmill I will give you credit for both things....:up:

Glad I could be of some assistance. ;)

Oh, and the first link I gave you may be the better bet as the SOURCE. I checked.

SLYspyder said:
with all the money they're spending on this movie. it better be flawless. We only have 3 more months to get a hint as to if this movie will be Perfection.
Flawless, perfection, in a comic book film (I haven't nor will I ever see a flawless movie<>especially a comic book movie), where there's geeks with a billion different opinions...you're kidding right?

cmill216 said:
Oh, and the first link I gave you may be the better bet as the SOURCE. I checked.

I sourced them both since the first one is based on the second one's information.

Well this is good news and bad news... They are taking seriously the special effects, and the action scenes are top notch.

but I hope they dont loose track up the story and writing.

Jeez... no wonder they couldn't do 3/4 back to back... this had better be a ground breaking film visually... similar to the impact the Star Wars, the Matrix T2, and Jurrassic Park had... how else can u justify this budget if it isn't revolutionary??? this budget is practically Titanic esque!!! Sony better pray this movie breaks 400 million or it might be consider a disappointmet if that's even possible... wouldn't that be something???

Turd McFurden said:
sweet find, wasn't someone just saying they knew someone that was working for the movie in the effects house and that they were pissed off at the studio?

Yup, further evidence that all these people who "know" people, really don't know squat!!! The only thing the effects company is complaining about is that their banks can't handle that much money.:)

You guys need to stop believing every piece of news about the budget. Theres still ppl who think Superman Returns has a 250 mil budget even after Singer said it was 185. Considering this article got both X3 (150) and Pirates 2 (180) wrong, I wouldnt put much stock in the 300 number.

True, only the studios execs./director knows the real budget, and when this info isn't given to those who want to know, they make up their own budgets, even Box Office Mojo does this.

PoC 2/3 were filmed back to back... they should've done the same with SM 3/4... now they are going to give us some crap ass 5 minute version of Venom and say goodbye forever...

movies should not be filmed back to back on a whim. These things need to be planned.

Harry potter & LOTR come from books which have a flow that they can use as a guideline to film the movies.

The Matrix Reloaded & Revolutions were filmed as one movie then split in 2.

The movies are good as is. back to back filming will cause for some messed up plot pacing.

What happened to the reports saying the budget of the 4th Harry Potter movie was OVER $300 million?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"