Reality Check(Budget vs. Profit)

When a movie greatly exceeds expectation, of course the studio starts thinking of a sequel.

With sequels, the studio starts off knowing a lot more about the potential audience so they are better at setting their expectations.

danoyse said:
They didn't plan a sequel to Pirates.

You're proof of this is where?

danoyse said:
Then Pirates made a lot of money, so they made two more.

Making more sequels due to favorable domestic profit percentages makes sense.

danoyse said:
There is no set plan for a 4th, just some speculation amongst the cast in recent interviews.

Why would there be a set plan when the 3rd one has not been released yet? George Lucas stated in many interviews that he planned was to make 9 star wars movies while he was filming episodes 4-6. There were no set plans to make episodes 1-3 at that time but, the films still got made. I would not be surprised if Lucas makes 3 more star wars films.

If Pirates of the Caribbean does well than Disney will probably make plans for a 4th film.

gambitfire said:
Yes it supports the point that is being stated. This one is set to end in 3 though but SM3 on the other hand if successful enough could lead to a 4.

I've heard rumours that Sam Rami will make 3 more spider-man movies if the money keeps pouring in.

Theweepeople said:
I've heard rumours that Sam Rami will make 3 more spider-man movies if the money keeps pouring in.

And why not? They have a great thing going so far and haven't made any mistakes. Sony knows they have a golden goose. And so far they're smart enough not to try to choke or kill the goose to maximize short-term profits.

And I even like the way they're interacting with the fan community. Messing around with us and making us guess who the 4th villain is is a really neat idea at teasing the fans and piquing interest!

Theweepeople said:
You're proof of this is where?

Read any article about Pirates 2, and they will tell you there was no plan for a sequel when they made the first one. Hell, Disney almost fired Johnny Depp.

Disney had made 3 movies based on theme park attractions: Pirates, Country Bears, and Haunted Mansion. All but Pirates were flops, and it was a one-shot thing. When the movie was an absolute fluke hit, then they started the sequel.

Making more sequels due to favorable domestic profit percentages makes sense.

But when the movies cost more and more with each sequel, those profits aren't as big. It's not worth it for the studio to keep making more.

George Lucas stated in many interviews that he planned was to make 9 star wars movies while he was filming episodes 4-6. There were no set plans to make episodes 1-3 at that time but, the films still got made. I would not be surprised if Lucas makes 3 more star wars films.

But George Lucas owns Star Wars. Lucas made that deal before the first one was ever filmed. Fox only owns the distribution rights. The only one making the decision to make more Star Wars movies will be George Lucas, and at this point he won't be making any more movies. The cast is far too old, and he told his story.

If Pirates of the Caribbean does well than Disney will probably make plans for a 4th film.

Oh, I'm sure they will...they've never met a sequel they didn't like. But the question is, will the be willing to spend the kind of money for another sequel? Audiences do start to wear down on the sequels after awhile.

danoyse said:
Disney had made 3 movies based on theme park attractions: Pirates, Country Bears, and Haunted Mansion.

OMG i hadn't noticed.

*has nightmares of SmallWorld Movie*

gambitfire said:
OMG i hadn't noticed.

*has nightmares of SmallWorld Movie*

Yes, mercifully they opted not to make that into a movie. :)

"Iiiit's a small world, aaafter all, iiit's a small world aaafter all, iiit's a small world aaafter all, it's a small world after all..."

There, that will endlessly torment you for days to come... :p

FNSpidey said:
"Iiiit's a small world, aaafter all, iiit's a small world aaafter all, iiit's a small world aaafter all, it's a small world after all..."

There, that will endlessly torment you for days to come... :p

Or as my friends said when we were on it with their kids (and even they were bored)...."It's a long, long ride!" :p

But i can't help it going on the ride every ****ing time i go?

I always go to Orlando in late summer cuz of the rain :p

If i need air ill just wonder in too a shop or something and sit on the floor. They have yet too tell me anything.

gambitfire said:
But i can't help it going on the ride every ****ing time i go?

Well, it's a classic. You can't ignore the classics! Plus, it is air-conditioned and you are seated for a decent amount of time, so it makes for a nice break as well...

I checked Box office mojo recently and no changes to X-Men 3's domestic budget gross in 9 days were made so I guess the final gross will remain at 234,351,765. Still within my 9.52-11.9% profit percentage prediction made in January.:yay:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"