Can Disney still buy Sony Pictures after the Fox deal?

Simon Kinberg has a Lucasfilm connection. He's doing okay.

They are going to want Spider-man back 100%. I don't think Disney cares about the rest of Sony. So long as they can continue making MCU Spider-man and have their current licensing agreement on merchandising, there's really no need for Marvel to get Sony.

There's no licensing agreement on merchandise anymore. However, yes, they will want Spidey back 100%.

I'm gonna be honest I really don't feel the need for Marvel to completely obtain the rights to Spider-Man as they already have access to Spider-Man through the partnership they made with Sony. It really doesn't matter to me one way or another if/when Sony sells as the rights situation with Spider-Man have more or less been resolved as Spider-Man is in the MCU with movies being produced by Marvel proper.

Sure, if Marvel were to obtain the rights to Spider-Man completely it would spare us from Sony's pathetic attempts to compete in the cinematic universe race by forcing spin-offs like Venom that no-one really wants but the rights issue with Spider-Man is not like with Fox in which they were this incorrigibly stubborn studio that refused to play ball and collaborate with Marvel hence the only alternative to waiting for the rights to expire was a uber-expensive purchase of Fox. Sony is already sharing their piece of the Spider-Man rights pie and even though they still own the whole pie they are still letting Marvel take a bite of it.

If Disney buys Fox, okay, if not, then fine it really doesn't matter much to me at all.

Last edited:
That's the thing, I think they would be more apt to just sell the whole thing than simply selling Spider-Man back, which is their only viable franchise right now. You take Spider-Man away and that's a major part of their worth in a potential deal. They'd want to at least keep the Spider-Man right available to make a deal worth more for them.

Jumanji actually performed better than I thought it would, almost as good as Spiderman Homecoming relatively speaking

Deadline and Variety are corroborating.

you are right, but the thought of Disney owning Sony...well it's one thing to buy the film division but to buy the whole conglomerate would mean huge changes coming to playstation as well, I guess

I wonder why they have to buy them? It's kind of like bringing a nuke to a gunfight isn't it? Just buy Spider-Man off them. Do they have anything else? Maybe bond

you are right, but the thought of Disney owning Sony...well it's one thing to buy the film division but to buy the whole conglomerate would mean huge changes coming to playstation as well, I guess

The news only suggests that Sony Film and television may be available for sale. That would not effect Playstation at all. This only speculation since the new CEO prefers the technology driven portions of the company. This doesn't mean much except the likelihood of Sony picture being closed or sold off is higher, still not guaranteed. If Sony Picture consistently under preforms it will add fuel to that outcome.

So it may be the beginning of something or nothing at all.

I wonder why they have to buy them? It's kind of like bringing a nuke to a gunfight isn't it? Just buy Spider-Man off them. Do they have anything else? Maybe bond

They still have a ton of properties that can be huge franchises in the right hands. It could be they just close to the studio department and then sell off the rights individually. And apparently no matter who would buy Sony Picture the Spider-man rights would just revert back to Marvel so it seems Disney doesn't even have to pay for it. Just sit back and wait. Again this is just speculation that something might happen to Sony Pictures.

Last edited:
Well we live in the darkest timeline these days, so why not?

(Referring to the nightmare this is for the movie industry. Unlike X-Men, I think Spidey should belong totally to Marvel Studios and would benefit if he was there, because Sony has no idea how to handle its comic book properties if Sam Raimi isn't directing.)

I would prefer Disney just got the Spidey full rights only with the other stuff going elsewhere.

When the news and rumors of the FOX/Disney deal came out the first thing that entered my mind was "Sony's next".

The news only suggests that Sony Film and television may be available for sale. That would not effect Playstation at all. This only speculation since the new CEO prefers the technology driven portions of the company. This doesn't mean much except the likelihood of Sony picture being closed or sold off is higher, still not guaranteed. If Sony Picture consistently under preforms it will add fuel to that outcome.

So it may be the beginning of something or nothing at all.

I don't know shxt about how these business acquisitions work but if and when these happen, Disney will sure see return on their investments but I feel like Sony will burn through the profit they make from selling off their divisions, after that there would be a very little budget left to support playstation from what there used to be

Disney Isn't going to buy two big studios at the same time, are they? Wouldn't Comcast be the more likely buyer? Unless the studios are shuttered and film rights are sold off piecemeal.

God I hope Disney gets Spidey back. Jesus Marvel is going to be in a SWEEEEET place in the next few years

Disney Isn't going to buy two big studios at the same time, are they? Wouldn't Comcast be the more likely buyer? Unless the studios are shuttered and film rights are sold off piecemeal.

I can't see Disney trying to get through TWO major studio acquisitions through the FCC at the same time. They will want to get the Fox deal approved as quickly and painlessly as possible and trying to buy Sony at the same time could send a bad message.

Well, I guess Herr Disney has made his intentions clear. We're living in a Mouse House.

The ideal situation is to buy the Spidey rights back out right. They not buying two major studios. Hopefully it could happen ASAP before Sony makes a solo film for every Spidey supporting character.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"