Can Disney still buy Sony Pictures after the Fox deal?

Disney can afford to buy the Spidey rights alone though, given they are already lacking cash due to the Fox buyout.

Are the Spider-Man rights transferable? If not, would Marvel get the rights back anyway if Sony sold their movie studio to someone else?

Are the Spider-Man rights transferable? If not, would Marvel get the rights back anyway if Sony sold their movie studio to someone else?

That's not publically available info, so yeah, that's a pretty big question hovering over everything. Then again, "Sony's getting out of the film business" is just a rumour for now, so we're probably all getting a bit ahead of ourselves.

If Sony sells to someone else doesn't spider man still go back to marvel by default?

That's not publically available info, so yeah, that's a pretty big question hovering over everything. Then again, "Sony's getting out of the film business" is just a rumour for now, so we're probably all getting a bit ahead of ourselves.

Lol we all know it's true though, I mean look at what they've been puttinh out ...yeesh

If anyone else wants to buy Sony, I would think Disney would be at a major disadvantage being tied up with the Fox sale right now. And I don't know why others in the streaming race wouldn't want to own them if they could afford it, given the value of their back content.

Spider man film rights are transferable to the new buyer unless the 2015 amendment specifically changed that section of the contract.

http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=537939&highlight=

Well, one can only hope that Sony sees the financial advantage of selling of Spidey to Disney first. Disney would pay any price to have the full rights back, and save the integrity of the character by stopping the pointless Sony Spiderverse. Also there is no way Disney buys Sony outright, for too many reasons to count.

However I will acknowledge that a Spidey-less Sony pictures may be less palatable to another potential buyer. So that is a problem.

Well Disney need to make sure the deal with Fox goes through first because Comcast is reportedly coming back to the table:

Comcast, CNBC's owner, could also consider topping Disney's bid for Fox, according to people familiar with the matter. No decision has been made by Comcast on a topping bid yet, said the people, who asked not to be named because the decision is private. Disney is already preparing itself for a Comcast topping bid and considering responses in case, according to multiple people familiar with Disney's thinking.

An unsolicited offer at a premium to Disney's bid could persuade enough Fox shareholders to vote against Murdoch. His family controls 39 percent of Fox's Class B voting shares but owns only 17 percent of all outstanding shares. Comcast executives suggested to Murdoch last year they would be willing to pay significantly more for Fox's assets than what Disney was offering, said the people. Murdoch still went with the Disney offer, in large part due to regulatory concerns with Comcast.

Fox's international businesses are of particular interest to Comcast, which sees more potential growth outside of the U.S. than it does domestically. Spokeswomen for Comcast and Fox declined to comment.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/05/tru...l-stalled-big-media-helps-netflix-amazon.html

I think AT&T is a little different as they're a telcom, merging with a media company. Fox Entertainment and Disney are in the same sector and would not directly effect consumers in the same way. The Fox/Disney deal is out to 2019 anyway, so there's plenty of time to get through regulations.

Also I find the Comcast issue highly speculative. When these merger agreements are signed, there's usually a hefty penalty if either party backs out before any tentative closing date. If the penalty is stiff, then there's no way the Fox BOD would back out of an already negotiated deal. None of the other media outlets are picking up the story other than comic book gossip sites like SR and CBM, but no other financial media outlet has picked up the story.

Last edited:
Comcast just probably wanna ruffle some feathers within Disney so that maybe they gain some sort of advantage in the pitch for Sony, maybe. I really dont think they will be anywhere near the Fox deal at the end of the day.

Well you know if Disney does buy Sony, they would probably buy the whole thing so, Sony making a PS4 only Spiderman game might tip Disney in the wrong way.

As other users have stated, I don't think they'd buy Sony in its entirety but find a way the especifically get Spidey's rights back. This is a valuable asset for them and I don't think they'd want it to be stained by other studio's mess.

I'm sure Kevin Feige has a plan in case anything happens, whether Venom bombs or becomes a success.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"