Iron Fist Cancelled!

I don't think it's a single reason but a bunch of collective reasons for why it failed.

A big thing for me is the premise was weak. Danny comes home and meanders around for several episodes and then they simply solve the problem after he meets Meachum again.

The premise is simple. Danny left K'un L'un because he wanted revenge. He knows his parents are murdered and he's on a warpath. Unfortunately, because it was a plane crash, it seemed like an accident at first, even though Danny had its suspicions. They had to make it clear from the outset, Danny is back in NY for revenge and he's looking at all the parties he believes are responsible for his parents death and looking to connect the dots.

The climax should've been like in the comics. Danny finds out its Meachum, who maybe he's not an amputee, but he's terminally ill and Danny takes pity on him. And he finally lets go of his revenge. Then someone else murders Meachum and Joy blames Danny as a result and that's why she wants revenge on him instead of the pitiful setup for Season 2
I'd cut the Meachums' subplot out entirely.
They clearly found some groove with anything Hand-related, Davos hunting him down, and Danny being an overly sensitive & anxious fighter.

I'd cut the Meachums' subplot out entirely.
They clearly found some groove with anything Hand-related, Davos hunting him down, and Danny being an overly sensitive & anxious fighter.

Even the Hand stuff didn't really work for me. Because everything from Daredevil S1 and S2 indicated she was not part of the hand.

Plus we never learn anything about the Chaste being the army for Iron Fist anyway or really anything about K'un L'un.

Just dropped the continuation of the show. Wait a while then retry and this time--return to formula. Give me the IF mask. The Over the top, Martial Arts. Laid-back and fun Danny Rand. They need to wow people with Iron Fist.

Something Netflix just couldn't do with their cast and crew.

Ok I see, if that happens it will probably take a while.

Even the Hand stuff didn't really work for me. Because everything from Daredevil S1 and S2 indicated she was not part of the hand.

Plus we never learn anything about the Chaste being the army for Iron Fist anyway or really anything about K'un L'un.
This universe keeps coming up with new developments regarding the Hand in general. Wasn't that interested in Chaste or K'un L'un, knowing they don't have the budget & just kept reiterating those fell. What worked was showing a side of the Hand yet to really be or still has been this fleshed out and having Danny going on these 'quests' thinking he alone can vanquish this global clan.

I now fully believe all of those rumors that were circulating about Marvel not knowing what to do with Iron Fist before the show went into production. Its clear there was a lot of turmoil bts and no one knew wtf they were doing and I am baffled as to why. Did they just...simply not have the budget? Did they not have the time to hire good fight coordinators to make kickass action scenes? Were they afraid his costume would look toto silly? Did Jeph Loeb genuinely buy inyo Buck's pitch for the character? At what point did this go wrong when they nailed the other three Defenders so well?

I have a feeling they wanted to release Defenders before a certain (predetermined, perhaps contracted) deadline and Scott Buck was the one saying that he could make Iron Fist released in time.

And then he got Inhumans right after that. And that was the true abomination.

The guy ruins everything he touches and yet he'll probably continue to get showrunning gigs for the rest of his career. Hollywood for ya. Some people are allowed to fail upwards.

I liked the show Iron Fist so the news that it's been cancelled has left me in a really bad mood. I hope the petition done to get the show a third season on Netflix is successful. Whoever made this idiotic decision to cancel the show should be fired from Netflix asap.

And then he got Inhumans right after that. And that was the true abomination.

Both Iron Fist and Inhumans were produced under a time constraint (Iron Fist because of Defenders and Inhumans because of the IMAX deal), I remember the time from when Scott Buck was announced as Iron Fist's showrunner and Inhumans was announced as a TV series until their respective premiere dates was quite short compare to other Netflix Marvel series or Runaways/ Cloak and Dagger. There was definitely a rush factor there and probably Scott Buck was the only one confidently saying that he could deliver the product on time. After getting Iron Fist he rushed to find writers, then rushed them on the phone to finish 13 scripts while raced to find directors and cast actors at the same time. Finn Jones then had 2 months (or 6 weeks iirc) to train/ research choreograph before filming. They filmed for 6 months and had 5 months post-production, which was actually similar to DD, JJ and LC. In the end Scott Buck did make it in time, though the quality was questionable. And based on the fact that he delivered his promise Loeb probably gave him another project with a tight deadline (Inhumans).

The guy ruins everything he touches and yet he'll probably continue to get showrunning gigs for the rest of his career. Hollywood for ya. Some people are allowed to fail upwards.

Showrunner Scott Buck should now be nicknamed "The Showkiller".

He already has: :o

dc-comics-wonder-woman-god-killer-sword-prop-replica-factory-entertainment-903166-01.jpg

4D9mWW1.jpg

Both Iron Fist and Inhumans were produced under a time constraint (Iron Fist because of Defenders and Inhumans because of the IMAX deal), I remember the time from when Scott Buck was announced as Iron Fist's showrunner and Inhumans was announced as a TV series until their respective premiere dates was quite short compare to other Netflix Marvel series or Runaways/ Cloak and Dagger. There was definitely a rush factor there and probably Scott Buck was the only one confidently saying that he could deliver the product on time. After getting Iron Fist he rushed to find writers, then rushed them on the phone to finish 13 scripts while raced to find directors and cast actors at the same time. Finn Jones then had 2 months (or 6 weeks iirc) to train/ research choreograph before filming. They filmed for 6 months and had 5 months post-production, which was actually similar to DD, JJ and LC. In the end Scott Buck did make it in time, though the quality was questionable. And based on the fact that he delivered his promise Loeb probably gave him another project with a tight deadline (Inhumans).

If this means spreading around the blame more, I have no problem with that.

But let's also not ignore, sometimes directors and producers have had to work under time constraints and time crunches before and still made magic happen.

The whole "time constraints" thing gets no sympathy from me, I'm sorry. The ideas and general direction of the series was bad from the start. If you get someone who actually knew anything about the character or had a cool vision for him to run the show then you could forgive alot of budgetary limitations. Its clear Buck didnt even know anything about Iron Fist and got writers who didnt know anything about Iron Fist and as a result we got a show that resembled nothing like Iron Fist, thats all.

The whole "time constraints" thing gets no sympathy from me, I'm sorry. The ideas and general direction of the series was bad from the start. If you get someone who actually knew anything about the character or had a cool vision for him to run the show then you could forgive alot of budgetary limitations. Its clear Buck didnt even know anything about Iron Fist and got writers who didnt know anything about Iron Fist and as a result we got a show that resembled nothing like Iron Fist, thats all.

It was completely like Iron Fist. It was about ruling the board meetings with an iron fist and knowing when to show his hand. The dragon bit was meant to be like the UK reality TV series Dragon's Den where they pitch business ideas to each other.

It was completely like Iron Fist. It was about ruling the board meetings with an iron fist and knowing when to show his hand. The dragon bit was meant to be like the UK reality TV series Dragon's Den where they pitch business ideas to each other.

Lmao. Well...I stand corrected then.

I certainly didn't make excuse for Scott Buck or justify his decision. I just wanted to show that perhaps because of the time constraints he decided to sacrifice the casting and writing, because filming started very close to his announcement as showrunner, and Iron Fist had filming and post-production length same as the other show. Perhaps he's the type of person who, under a tight deadline, decide to rush the early stage until it's on schedule, then breathe a sigh of relief and do things at a normal speed, instead of doing everything on a tight schedule, or spending time on writing and casting while skimming on filming and post-production.

Whether Loeb should take responsibility on Iron Fist season 1 depends on how detail Scott Buck's pitch to him, I think. If his pitch was "Boy got in an accident, raised (and abused) by kungfu monks, then grew up and came back to his home town trying to find his inner self", then it was a solid premise and talented writers can write great scripts based on that. But if the pitch was a 10 pages of multiple times Danny not permitted into Rand building and several boardroom meetings, then Loeb should have known that it wouldn't work.

I certainly didn't make excuse for Scott Buck or justify his decision. I just wanted to show that perhaps because of the time constraints he decided to sacrifice the casting and writing, because filming started very close to his announcement as showrunner, and Iron Fist had filming and post-production length same as the other show. Perhaps he's the type of person who, under a tight deadline, decide to rush the early stage until it's on schedule, then breathe a sigh of relief and do things at a normal speed, instead of doing everything on a tight schedule, or spending time on writing and casting while skimming on filming and post-production.

Whether Loeb should take responsibility on Iron Fist season 1 depends on how detail Scott Buck's pitch to him, I think. If his pitch was "Boy got in an accident, raised (and abused) by kungfu monks, then grew up and came back to his home town trying to find his inner self", then it was a solid premise and talented writers can write great scripts based on that. But if the pitch was a 10 pages of multiple times Danny not permitted into Rand building and several boardroom meetings, then Loeb should have known that it wouldn't work.

Loeb: Can you get this done on time?

Buck: Yes, if I sacrifice the premise, costume, acting, writing, martial arts, comic book roots, budget, etc.

Loeb: Sounds like a plan then! Better get started on that!!

Loeb: Can you get this done on time?

Buck: Yes, if I sacrifice the premise, costume, acting, writing, martial arts, comic book roots, budget, etc.

Loeb: Sounds like a plan then! Better get started on that!!

Well if Buck was the only person who promised that they could finish the series on time, Loeb probably considered that priority. Buck was given Inhumans even after Loeb had seen how Iron Fist was for a reason. Or who knows maybe Loeb actually thought that Iron Fist was alright.

Buck: For Inhumans, we'll shave Medusa's head, give Karnak a head injury, give Gorgon regular boots, put Lockjaw to sleep, kill off Triton, give Blackbolt some karaoke and set it in Hawaii.

Loeb: Hmm. Something doesn't sound quite right about that but I can't put my finger on it. Ok let's go with that.

Kinda sucks that season 2 only got 10 episodes (done to improve the show) and it still got canned.

I kinda wish that Marvel could somehow convince Netflix to do a shortened season 3 of say 4-6 episodes to wrap up the storyline before launching the Heroes for Hire series.

All the things you stated were right. But let's not forget the budget. Why is Marvel (or is it Netflix?) so cheap on this? Stranger Things got like 8-10 million an episode but IF season 1 looked like it had a million per episode. This should have been the biggest visual effects out of all the Netflix series.

All the things you stated were right. But let's not forget the budget. Why is Marvel (or is it Netflix?) so cheap on this? Stranger Things got like 8-10 million an episode but IF season 1 looked like it had a million per episode. This should have been the biggest visual effects out of all the Netflix series.

Buck spent the budget on

a) Trying to teach Finn Jones basic fighting in a month

b) Finding some boardrooms to film in

c) Researching what people actually talk about in board meetings

d) Medusa's haircut

e) Paying back previous studios for ending their shows like Dexter.

If Iron Fist gets revived on the Disney streaming service, I wonder what the chances for a soft reboot are, because I really want them to recast. Finn Jones had several chances to impress, and outside of 2 or maybe 3 Episodes, he was severely lacking. Even in Season 2, which I admit I haven't watched, I keep hearing how he was the least interesting character and Colleen practically stole the show.

If Iron Fist gets revived on the Disney streaming service, I wonder what the chances for a soft reboot are, because I really want them to recast. Finn Jones had several chances to impress, and outside of 2 or maybe 3 Episodes, he was severely lacking. Even in Season 2, which I admit I haven't watched, I keep hearing how he was the least interesting character and Colleen practically stole the show.

Stole would imply that he had it at some point. :o

What happened was is that Colleen became the focus even with trying to flesh out the whole Davos/Danny thing. Davos I'm assuming was focused on more as well.
So, the titular lead became a supporting cast member on his own show.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"