Cap's shield and Wolverine's skeleton

Discussion in 'Marvel Comics' started by Kool-Aid, May 8, 2006.

1. Kool-Aid Registered

Okay, so when Cap takes a punch from Hulk or Thor throws his hammer at him, he can block it with his shield and not knocked off balance. Wolverine can take punches to the head by Namor, Hulk and others from top tier class in strength. Cap's shield is made outta adamantium and so is Wolverine's skeleton. Does the adamatium help take the force outta their punches, so that they don't get hurt? I know Cap has vibranium in his shield so that might explain his part, but what about Wolverine's?

2. gildea Registered

Caps shield isn't made of adamantium, its a vibranium/steel fluke of nature.

Wolverine has no vibranium in his skeleton so no force from punches will be absorbed.

3. Tropico Crusty, ol' curmudgeon.

That's funny, other sources mention adamantium in the mix. I've seen Wolverine take blows that send him flying (Thunderbird's punching him in the jaw comes to mind0 so the adamantium doesn't really give him any more stability apart from the added weight the metal gives him. Years of fighting probably have made him better at taking hits.

4. XFanTim Two-Time DTL Champion

Adamantium was created in an effort to duplicate the metal in Cap's shield -- but a lot of sources get this wrong and say the shield was made from adamantium.

5. Gilpesh Registered

I think the only mention of adamatium with Cap's shield is the fact that someone tried to reverse engineer the shield to reproduce the metal but came up with adamatium.

EDIT: XFanTim got it.

6. The Question Objectivism doesn't work.

Not true. Adimantium is a vibranium/steel composite. It was made while atempting to duplicate Cap's sheild.

7. Tropico Crusty, ol' curmudgeon.

Cool! I thought the shield had adamantium in it, in addition to the vibranium; not that it was adamantium and steel. I know that if it didn't have the vibranium his shield would be FUBAR'ed a long time ago.

8. gildea Registered

i'm not claiming to know, but according to wiki (which i know is not 100% accurate) true adamantium doesn't have vibranium in it.

9. Kool-Aid Registered

So then that explains why Wolverine doesn't get knocked out when hes hit in the head.:up:

10. Anubis Sup?

Nah thats just bad writing.

11. Nightwing 52 Things change

He was actually knocked out in the head by Captain America's shield in issue #25 of the Wolverine series.

12. PhotoJones Registered

what ever happened to cap's photon shield? i remember him using one for some reason during waid and kubert's run.

13. Infinity9999x Registered

That was a pretty badass secene too.

But also, Wolverine had been on the run for a few weeks, trying to fight mental brainwashing, and had just gotten a hole blown through him, so that would probably account to why he was K.O.ed by Cap and still able to take hits from the Hulk and keep going.

14. Anubis Sup?

He got his old one back. Cap's oldschool. He should give it to Patriot.

15. Kool-Aid Registered

Yeah I'd like that.:up: :)

16. Elijya Registered

17. Fantasyartist Registered

Dear every body

You're missing the point. The adamantium/viranium composite alloy that comprises Cap's shield is impervious to all harm(presumably the next best thing to total indestructability around-although in the last episode of "Secret Wars" it is shown being destroyed. it has been shown to resist attempts by first Mr Hyde, the Hulk and then the Crimson Dynamo to bend or break it))even more so than the adamantium that comprises Wolverine's claws and entire skeleton)

Just hope this clears up the issue!

Terry

18. The Question Objectivism doesn't work.

There is no Adimantium in Cap's sheild. It's a Vibranium/steel composite with unknown chemicals acting as a catalyst. Adimantium was mademin an atempt to recreat the sheild's properties.

19. Elijya Registered

No, you!

20. TheCorpulent1 SHAZAM!

That would be much cooler than sticking Patriot with the old triangular relic. I think the photon shield technology was ripped off by Taskmaster and the actual photon shield itself went to US Agent, though. I don't know what US Agent did with it, but he doesn't use it anymore.

21. The Question Objectivism doesn't work.

It would make sense if USAgent ditched it. With the photon sheild, you have even the slightest electrical error, you're down one weapon. Metal sheild? Not so much.

22. TheCorpulent1 SHAZAM!

But the photon shield was made by Stark Industries, wasn't it? Well, I guess it'd make sense regardless. US Agent and Iron Man aren't exactly the best of buds after everything that went down in Avengers West Coast.

23. The Question Objectivism doesn't work.

That too. And hell, Stark may be a smart guy, but even his stuff can break down and short out from time to time. All electronics do. And I think USAgent would rather have a perfectly reliable weapon in the feild than one that could, conceivably, break down in a crucial moment.

24. TheCorpulent1 SHAZAM!

I suppose. The photonic shield's been very reliable for Cap and Taskmaster, though.

25. The Question Objectivism doesn't work.

Well, the military has alot more say over USAgent. And the military doesn't like to use things that are more likely to crap out and harder to fix than basic mechanical bits. A classic example of simple technology trumping high tech stuff is in the show Firefly. Mal's chasing a corrupt billionare who killed someone he knew. The billionare had a laser gun, but when he tried to fire it, the sign blinkes saying "batteries low." Mal then proceeded to kick his ass. Simple is often times better than the high tech stuff. At least when it comes to weapons.