BOUGHT some solar jewels/THOUGHT about charging 'em, November 16, 2011

I may just do that. I've decided I also need to get the Captain Britain & MI-13 trades to start lending them to other people (and also to re-read them because that series was awesome).

That was a good series. I tend to find that I really enjoy stories with a lot of focus on Captain Britain. I'm hoping he gets good staring time in Secret Avengers.

Me too. I actually think I prefer that costume they're taking him back to, as well. The MI-13 one looked a bit plain by comparison.

I was curious when I heard that SHIELD had been resurrected with Daisy Johnson at its head, and I happened to be in a comic shop today, so I decided to finally buy and read the final issue of Secret Warriors. I almost wish I'd stuck with the series straight through. It was a really great final issue, speaking volumes about all the characters involved. Nothing explosively innovative happened, granted--the Howling Commmandos PMC reorganizes into the new SHIELD under Daisy and HYDRA's infrastructure was apparently dismantled in the arc leading up to the issue--but it was a good ending to the series. There's a speech from Cap to Fury about 2/3rds of the way through that perfectly sums up both characters--Cap has the luxury to remain idealistic because he got to sleep in ice for decades. Fury had to witness the end of WWII and then see the world change--for the worse, in a lot of ways--in its wake and, moreover, he had to adapt and learn to fight in that new world. Fury as the "one man" who can change the world with the strength of his convictions is a nice retrospective on the character now that it seems they're putting him back in the toybox for a while. Well done all around. :up:
You should pick up all the volumes. It's my favorite series by far. I'm in the process of re reading the whole series. Also , if you liked the moment that Fury and Cap had in the final issue you should read the fourth volume of Secret Warriors. It really hits you.

Last edited:
You should pick up all the volumes. It's my favorite series by far. I'm in the process of re reading the whole series. Also , if you liked the moment that Fury and Cap had in the final issue you should read the fourth volume of Secret Warriors. It really hits you.

I loved this series, it's highly underrated in my opinion.

I loved this series, it's highly underrated in my opinion.
I wish Marvel would've given Hickman more time to flesh out Secret Warriors. We would've seen more of the Grey and Black teams.

I wish Marvel would've given Hickman more time to flesh out Secret Warriors. We would've seen more of the Grey and Black teams.

Given him more time??!!?? How many issues of this series was there? And, it moved at a snail's pace. Very little happened issue to issue; then, he had to finish it all up with those last few issues. The series started off nicely; but, I found so many flaws. (For example, killing off the biggest draw, Ares' son; and, then, those last bunch of issues, we didn't even see Fury's Secret Warriors very much.)

Given him more time??!!?? How many issues of this series was there? And, it moved at a snail's pace. Very little happened issue to issue; then, he had to finish it all up with those last few issues. The series started off nicely; but, I found so many flaws. (For example, killing off the biggest draw, Ares' son; and, then, those last bunch of issues, we didn't even see Fury's Secret Warriors very much.)
Secret Warriors was a 28 issue run , but it was supposed to be much longer. If you read any interviews with Hickman then you'd know that Marvel cut his run. To you Secret Warriors was a s***** series , but to me it was pretty good. Sure I ended up thinking Fury was a *****e by the end of the series and the art wasn't consistent , but I loved everything else. I liked the fact that what happened in one issue would have consequences in other issues. There was that fact that Hickman wasn't afraid to kill anyone off and he only brought back one character from the dead. I liked that he put the reader in the mind of Fury.

Last edited:
I was kind of hoping the series would become more of a Howling Commandos PMC series than a Secret Warriors series over time, to be honest. Dum Dum and Sitwell and all those guys were more interesting to me than the Caterpillars in the few issues I read.

Honestly... they do become major characters as the series moves forward, even replacing the Secret Warriors quite a bit toward the end. This was the first time that I really liked Dum Dum or cared about the rest. I honestly thought the whole series was great. The initial Hydra/Shield thing never bothered me but there was one other reveal that I didn't like. Beyond that, no gripe.

I am sorry Marvel is canceling PUNISHERMAX. It always sucks when those great little books you love die.

I don't think PunisherMAX is being cancelled, I just think it's ending. From the very beginning of the run, it has read like Aaron and Dillon are telling a finite story with a definite ending, and this current arc has from the launching point has felt very much like the endgame approaching, with all the pieces from throughout the whole run coming together for a big finale.

I don't think PunisherMAX is being cancelled, I just think it's ending. From the very beginning of the run, it has read like Aaron and Dillon are telling a finite story with a definite ending, and this current arc has from the launching point has felt very much like the endgame approaching, with all the pieces from throughout the whole run coming together for a big finale.

If Marvel wanted to continue the book without Aaron and Dillion, they would have. Sales of the book just didn't warrant the continuation. I don't buy it that PunisherMAX is a finite story.

I can see that, though. They have Aaron doing so much now. Sadly, PunisherMax is his best book, hands down.

I can see that, though. They have Aaron doing so much now. Sadly, PunisherMax is his best book, hands down.

Well, his best book that isn't Scalped, which is leagues ahead of everything else he's writing (and, indeed, most of what everyone else is writing too).

If Marvel wanted to continue the book without Aaron and Dillion, they would have. Sales of the book just didn't warrant the continuation. I don't buy it that PunisherMAX is a finite story.

Yes, they could have continued the series without Aaron and Dillon. But given that this is a non-canon tale, which from the very beginning has dealt with the one specific Big Bad of The Kingpin, and from as early as issue #4 has foreshadowed the idea of this being "Frank's Final Battle", I think any continuation of the series after the conclusion of Aaron's saga would feel cheap. If they wanted someone else to do a run on Punisher in the MAXVerse afterwards, I think it'd be more appropriate to relaunch with a new volume at some point in the future, as Aaron did after the Ennis run.

You just love denouncing people on a whim. Last week you complain about me not looking like Aquaman and now you're denouncing Phaedrus just for mistakenly thinking that Wolverine is on the Avengers.

I think both complaints are fair and justifiable. Now put the costume back on.

And once again Varient is reminded to swallow liquids before reading parts of Superherohype,.....
(choking laughter continues.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"