Civil War Captain America: Sentinel of Liberty - (Chris Evans)

Status
Not open for further replies.
tumblr_nir0f525Dj1tvtbfoo1_1280.png

In the latest issue of Empire, RDJ hinted we could be seeing a little bit of a darker more ambiguous take on Steve.

The biggest question is, for Chris and for Cap, how do we bring Cap to a place where people go, 'Man, I never thought I would see such a vast change in Steve.' After you see Snowpiercer, you're like, 'I want to see a little bit of that guy.

*DROOOOOOOLING*

Slightly darker, murkier Cap. Intriguing. Hm.

Though they've done a great job balancing Steve's goodness with his cynicism, so I trust the character development arc here. Very interesting that it's RDJ who talks about it. I don't want SUPERGRIMDARK Cap, because that's not what Cap's about, but I love him playing Cap with different dimensions and sides while still retaining that inherent goodness and sincerity about him.

Not sure how I feel about seeing a darker side to Cap. I just hope there is a VERY good reason provided for a change in his character and that the change is believable. I could see Steve becoming disillusioned with his team mates and maybe even his role as Captain America.

In the latest issue of Empire, RDJ hinted we could be seeing a little bit of a darker more ambiguous take on Steve.
Cap is going to let Sam die in order to press on with his mission:csad:
:cwink:

Maybe it's just a pissed off Cap. Goes into a sort of Punisher mode in taking down the bad guy (not murderous) just grim determination. So far even when fighting bad guys he has been light hearted and never shown any ruthlessness.

GAHHHHH… his beard game is strong, as is my thirst for the man.

I would *REALLY* love it if he did renegotiate for another Cap movie. Would be wonderful. Give him a Marvel break between CW and IW part two, then come back in Phase IV for more Steve Rogers adventures!

(And yes, before anyone brings up my posts, while I did talk about Steve
"dying" it was mostly only really in context of the recent rumors. I want Steve to live, I want to see Chris continue to play him because he is perfect and a gorgeous hunka man meat… I'd prefer if they Nomad him after CW and he gets some sort of closure in the movie for the first part of the Cap trilogy, a la IM 3
)

by the fact that Chris already did the cameo for Thor TDW, outside his contract, there is yet to see if he`ll be in Agent Carter, but it is possible, he is very willing to do a lot for Marvel, so I`m not surprised he would do one more movie, beside why would they only ask RDJ to do more movies, when people like Hemsworth and Evans are as liked now in their characters too.

It`s good he will have a couple of years between filming CW and IW, so he can give a rest to playing the character and he can do his projects... who knows what Marvel has for Phase 4, but I doubt they are counting with any of the 3 leads they have now.

*DROOOOOOOLING*

Slightly darker, murkier Cap. Intriguing. Hm.

Though they've done a great job balancing Steve's goodness with his cynicism, so I trust the character development arc here. Very interesting that it's RDJ who talks about it. I don't want SUPERGRIMDARK Cap, because that's not what Cap's about, but I love him playing Cap with different dimensions and sides while still retaining that inherent goodness and sincerity about him.

Well, Chris said last year that the one thing he'd like to see Cap do is make a mistake.

SFX Magazine asked the star if there was anything Steve Rogers has not done yet that he would like to see him do in The Avengers sequel next year. "This might sound crazy, but... be wrong," said Evans. "Make a mistake. He's so concerned with being right. Even the struggle in this one, it's about how to be right. His biggest struggle is just being the best he can be, and if he doesn't achieve that, he really beats himself up. His moral compass is so sound, you rarely see him make a mistake. It's everyone around him dropping the ball. So it would be nice to see a little bit of human error or a human flaw, just immaturity or foolishness, an ego, something."

I don't want to see Cap as the hero darkened because that's not what makes him special but seeing him do the right thing that winds up not so right because of the repercussions could be very interesting. The frustration of knowing he's right with the realization that to see it through might end in more tragedy.

Moreover we could see him becoming angry and frustrated at the gov't and people making the same mistakes over and over again - choosing security over human rights because of fear. In that instance we could see some of that Snowpiercer like single-minded intensity sans
dark cannibalism backstory or depressing death.

If they keep the role interesting, keep giving Rogers challenges and Chris more angles to play that might keep him interested in the role longer. That might be why he agreed to another Avengers (if that's what the "three more" means). Similarly I think that's why RDJ was interested in doing Civil War - it gives him a new angle to play as Tony and in a new environment.

I have some trepidations about a darker Cap. I hope they don't plan on Man of Steel-ing him. Going all Nolan on a character like this would be detrimental to what they've built with the character so far. However, I think it can work if they do two things:

1) Captain America has to be right. It his dang movie. If he can't evoke more sympathy and relatbility for himself than Iron Man, then this is not a Cap movie. That means that Iron Man HAS to be the main antagonist and he has to be a real son of a *****. And in the end he has to be dead wrong because in a post 9/11 post Hydra takeover America. Who in west hell would trust the government to do the right thing? Not Captain America and definitely not the GA. But Tony will because Ultron will change everything. But it won't change the fact that Tony can be uncaring. We learned this during the IM movies. And sometimes that works to his and our advantage, like throwing the nuke into the portal and killing the Chitauri. But mostly it just makes Tony the reason IM has so many enemies. After Ultron, Tony, I think will be looking for someone to tell him that he hadn't done anything wrong. And he will cling to that even though it's not true. And he will find that support in the government. There's also the issue with Bucky being out there. Let's face facts people: He killed Tony's parents. However, Bucky was under extreme duress from the decades of being under Hydra's control, to put it lightly. Cap will see that. Underneath the menace known as the Winter Soldier will be a broken man who used to be Cap's best friend. However, Tony will only see the murderer. It won't help is certain people in the gub-mints will be egging the conflict on for their own personal reasons. So there's that. However, in order for this to work:

2) Iron Man has to win. The problem with Captain America being right is that he doesn't live in a black or white time. He lives in a time when people are finnicky and morally ambigious. They are with you one day and gone the next. And with someone like Cap,who has an unchanging moral compass, that kind of crap will eat him alive. It would be akin to gaslighting (no offense). Iron Man is very good at keeping the public on his side regardless of how much of a *****e he is. This is going to serve him in the end. If he says that he is with the Superhero Registration Act, the people won't hesitate to help him out. Not to mention his money won't hurt his advantage over Cap. He gets on TV and lays down a sob story about how Captain America is hiding the genetically modified man who killed his parents, it will be a wrap. Nuance is not humanity's strongest suit. This could lead to Iron Man allying himself with some pretty unsavory chaps in the government. Maybe some chaps who don't care if Cap signs up or not. They just want him out of commission or want their property back. Maybe in order to prove to Howard's favorite that he is in fact right, he'll make a deal with the devil himself to win only to find out that it was all for naught. He didn't make the world a better place. He only threw gas on the fire and all he'll have is this win over the Great Captain America. But it won't mean anything because he lost his friends. What he truly wanted all along and OH GOD THE FEELS!!!!

That's how I think it should go. Not to mention that's pretty much how it went in the comics. CA was right but in the end, IM won. I think this would be an interesting turn because, Cap is constantly told by people that his way of thinking is no longer vogue. That is that freedom is ultimately more important than safety. In TFA, his beliefs helped him to win against Red Skull. In TWS, he won but really dodged a bullet. It could have gone anyway. Now, he may very well lose. Because now his beliefs in freedom are being challenged by his friend's need for the world be a secure world. It's always the people who are close to us that bring us down the hardest. And knowing that, he'll make a mistake. He will be so single minded that everyone else will fall to the wayside. Like he said: "The price of freedom is high." That's why I also think he shouldn't die at the end of CW, he should go to jail. Then that way, he can't think about the mistakes he made, where it all went wrong, whether or not he should grow a beard. Then by the time Infinity Wars starts, he'll be a seasoned hard ass.

Last edited:
Well, Chris said last year that the one thing he'd like to see Cap do is make a mistake.

I don't want to see Cap as the hero darkened because that's not what makes him special but seeing him do the right thing that winds up not so right because of the repercussions could be very interesting. The frustration of knowing he's right with the realization that to see it through might end in more tragedy.

Moreover we could see him becoming angry and frustrated at the gov't and people making the same mistakes over and over again - choosing security over human rights because of fear. In that instance we could see some of that Snowpiercer like single-minded intensity sans
dark cannibalism backstory or depressing death.

If they keep the role interesting, keep giving Rogers challenges and Chris more angles to play that might keep him interested in the role longer. That might be why he agreed to another Avengers (if that's what the "three more" means). Similarly I think that's why RDJ was interested in doing Civil War - it gives him a new angle to play as Tony and in a new environment.

giphy.gif

This would be great to me. It's messy, but I think it would be an interesting dimension to both Steve and Tony for the MCU to play around with.

I definitely think that the single-minded intensity is what RDJ was referring to… though, admit it. You'd want to hear from Captain America that
"babies taste best!" :woot:

It would be very interesting if Snowpiercer is the inspiration for Steve Rogers' new direction in CW.

This would be great to me. It's messy, but I think it would be an interesting dimension to both Steve and Tony for the MCU to play around with.

I definitely think that the single-minded intensity is what RDJ was referring to… though, admit it. You'd want to hear from Captain America that
"babies taste best!" :woot:

I don`t think MCU will "murder" a character like Tony, he is adored by the fans.

We all know Tony`s arc is all about him, he learnt about sacrifice and becoming a hero; while someone like Steve was already a hero when his body was sick and he was always willing to sacrifice himself for others even if his body was not up to the task, which then he did all that, once he got the serum. But they are both human and in this political story-line in which they will both be at opposite spectrum of opinions, they will both do rights and wrongs; so there is room for Steve to make mistakes, those that may come from his good intentions, and I think that will hunt him terribly, because compared to Stark, who is used to making mistakes and then making up for them, but Steve isn`t, so I think if he does one mistake and he will be driven to a dark edge due to guilt; and comparing to Snowpiercer, guilt is what drove Curtis motivation to do the revolt, he wasn`t a hero, but he was so hunted by guilt because of what he did, that he wanted to redeem his actions at all cost and help his people, hence the single-minded intensity in the character.

So if they are going for something like that, it could fit Steve`s character arc in the context of what we have seen of him in MCU, but also taking him to another level.

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment...t-chris-evans-meet-children/story?id=28586838

Super Bowl: Chris Pratt vs. Chris Evans -- Meet the Children of Seattle Children's Hospital and Christopher's Haven
Jan 30, 2015
By MICHAEL ROTHMAN

Dane Bowman-Weston loves comic books, is a huge Seattle Seahawks fan and also a 13-year-old cancer patient at Seattle Children's Hospital.
For this brave young man, nothing meant more than when two A-list actors -- Chris Pratt and Chris Evans -- decided to lay down a little Super Bowl XLIX bet to benefit children just like Dane.

Read: Inside the Chris Pratt vs. Chris Evans Twitter Feud Over Super Bowl

"I'm just really excited," Bowman-Weston told ABC News about Sunday's big game.

HT_dane_bowman_weston_jef_150129_4x3_992.jpg
Seattle Childrens Hospital

PHOTO: Seattle Children's Hospital patient, Dane Bowman-Weston flexes for Strong Against Cancer, Jan. 27, 2015.

It all started less than two weeks ago when the "Captain America" star, who is a New England Patriots fan, reached out to the "Guardians of the Galaxy" star, a loyal Seahawks supporter, and made a joke.

"Well, well, well @prattprattpratt, looks like our teams are going into battle. For the next 2 weeks, you are not my friend, you are my enemy," Evans, 33, wrote.

Pratt, 35, eventually came back with a great idea.
@ChrisEvans OK. Seahawks win you fly yourself to Seattle, visit @seattlechildren hospital as Captain America, waving the 12th man flag.
— chris pratt (@prattprattpratt) January 21, 2015
Evans countered with his own favorite place for children battling cancer, Christopher's Haven.

"That would be cool if I could hold Captain America's shield" -- Dane Bowman-Weston

For Bowman-Weston, he couldn't be more excited for a possible Seahawks victory, which would mean he gets to meet Captain America, aka Evans.
"It would be really special," he added. "I like all of the Avengers, but my favorites are Iron Man and Captain America. ... That would be cool if I could hold Captain America's shield."

For someone like Dane -- who found out this past June, on his father's birthday no less, that he had osteosarcoma -- this bet is a breath of fresh air during a tough time. Bowman-Weston's knee had been hurting, so he went in for an MRI, where they found the tumor.

MEET TEAM STAR-LORD

Dane's story is all too familiar for Seattle Children's Hospital President Lisa Brandenburg, who said "when celebrities, football players and super heroes come visit, there's nothing better that they could do for these kids."

"Already, the excitement here is at a fever pitch, there's Seahawks-mania here," she said. "Russell Wilson [the Seahawks' star quarterback] often comes on Tuesdays and the other players come, as well. This just adds to it. Now they are thinking, 'Great maybe I'm also going to see Captain America, maybe Star-Lord [aka Pratt] will show up!'"
“@CNRTOW: See what you started @prattprattpratt ?? pic.twitter.com/thCuvs55eR” @ChrisEvans
— chris pratt (@prattprattpratt) January 26, 2015
Seattle Children's has almost 60 pediatric subspecialties and has been serving the Seattle community for more than 100 years. Its research center is also widely recognized for its work in cancer, genetics, pathology and infectious disease.

HT_kennedy_oday_jef_150129_4x3_992.jpg
Seattle Childrens Hospital

PHOTO: Seattle Children's Hospital patient, Kennedy O'Day flexes for Strong Against Cancer in her FiveLo arm socks, Jan. 27, 2015.

"This is a challenging time for these kids. So, to have something to look forward to, have something that makes them feel special," she said. "Hoping they get a visit, it's huge for them. It gives them hope."

Brandenburg said celebrities generous with their time really do have an effect.

"It takes their mind off their problems for a little bit of time and that's what they need," she said.

Another patient, Kennedy O’Day, 8, got together with other children in the same unit. Here's the challenge they put out if the Seahawks win:
They want Evans "dressed in a full Seahawk’s uniform and have him do the Seahawks chant with them." They also want to see him sing “Stronger” by Kelly Clarkson.

MEET TEAM CAPTAIN AMERICA

Christopher's Haven's mission is unique and special. The organization is a place for families traveling far from home to get help for their children. The Haven website says its facility is a "respite from hospital bed" and space so parents can be with their kids.

Joyce Duvall, executive director for the organization in Boston, found out about the bet when her organization's website crashed because of all the traffic that Evans and Pratt had brought.

"I got a text from Chris Evans, saying, 'Just wanted to let you know about this little thing I did.'" -- Joyce Duvall, executive director for Christopher's Haven

Duvall said after Evans and Pratt tweeted out their challenge, employees couldn't get to the phones fast enough. The social media team couldn't keep up with the tweets and the site eventually went down. A great problem to have for an organization that helps so many families.

"They told me about the bet and I said, 'Holy cow!'" she said. "Right after that, I got a text from Chris Evans, saying, 'Just wanted to let you know about this little thing I did.' I said, 'No kidding Chris, our website crashed!'"

HT_chris_evans_kids_01_jef_150129_4x3_992.jpg
Christophers Haven

PHOTO: Chris Evans aka Captain America visits the children of Christopher's Haven in Boston.

Duvall said back in January that they got 11,000 tweets when Evans, who actually went to school with her children and has known Duvall for years, did an event with them. This Super Bowl bet got them 200,000.
"It's so refreshing! The kids' reaction has been almost disbelief. They can't wrap their heads around it. They go, 'Is he talking about us?'" she said. "I said, 'Yes!'"
The kids at Christopher's change every 6 to 8 weeks, so Duvall said alumni have been calling and obviously, they are excited!

HT_chris_evans_kids_02_jef_150129_4x3_992.jpg
Christophers Haven

PHOTO: Chris Evans aka Captain America visits the children of Christopher's Haven in Boston.

Evans is no stranger to connecting with and helping the children of Christopher's. One story, in particular, really struck Duvall.
A 4-year-old boy Coleman wanted a superhero costume for his cancer treatment, thinking "Superheros can go through anything." He ended up wearing his outfit the entire time he was getting treatment.

"Then Chris showed up and said, 'This guy is the real superhero,'" she added, tearing up a bit.
hey @prattprattpratt ..... pic.twitter.com/ceDXefR8TG
— Chris Evans (@ChrisEvans) January 25, 2015
THE STAKES ARE HIGH

So, what are the official rules of this little Super Bowl bet?
If the Patriots win Super Bowl XLIX, Chris Pratt will visit Christopher’s Haven as Star-Lord and wear a Tom Brady jersey. If the Seahawks win, Chris Evans has to visit Seattle Children’s Hospital to wave Seattle’s 12th Man Flag in his Captain American outfit.

As of now, the stakes got a little higher with "Twitterbowl 2015."
"Fans will compete to raise the most money for either Seattle Children’s Hospital or Christopher’s Haven," a joint release to ABC News read.
Fans can donate to Seattle Children’s HERE and to Christopher’s Haven HERE.

The idea is to have a tally running from today until one of the heroes visits the winner's charity of choice.

*sniffle*

I'm sorry, but it got a little dusty in here.

oh that is so cute!!! thanks for posting the article!
I think it is obvious that no matter who wins the game, both actors will have to show up, because the kids know the news and they are supper exited to meet them!
I laughed with the text Chris sent to the director of Christopher`s Heaven:
"Just wanted to let you know about this little thing I did".
LOL obviously Chris is unaware yet that what he and Pratt did hit the media so hard.
what a cute little story about how Evans supported the kid who suited up as a superhero, kids really need all the support they can get.

This is the kind of PR that we can all get behind. I hope Marvel will get into the action as well, by providing free merchandises to the young patients during each Chris' visit. That would be awesome.

Obviously the guys are aware now that the charity bet has impulsed people to find out about those places so now they are using it to push for donations :cwink:

tumblr_nj0ce2HOEL1r5mkhao1_540.png

This is the kind of PR that we can all get behind. I hope Marvel will get into the action as well, by providing free merchandises to the young patients during each Chris' visit. That would be awesome.

While I cringe at the idea that Chris Evans is Steve Rogers (so weird!) this is some fun, spontaneous, kind-hearted PR that gives me the warm fuzzies. I love that Evans is using his downtime to raise money for charity and visit kids in hospitals. Ditto Chris Pratt.

I also kind of feel that Evans doing all this charity work just keeps sealing it in Marvel Studio's eyes that they found the perfect guy to play Captain America and will renegotiate his contract to keep him around forever.... And ever....

While I cringe at the idea that Chris Evans is Steve Rogers (so weird!) this is some fun, spontaneous, kind-hearted PR that gives me the warm fuzzies. I love that Evans is using his downtime to raise money for charity and visit kids in hospitals. Ditto Chris Pratt.

I also kind of feel that Evans doing all this charity work just keeps sealing it in Marvel Studio's eyes that they found the perfect guy to play Captain America and will renegotiate his contract to keep him around forever.... And ever....

LOL!!! Ithink Chris wants nothing to do with playing Cap for ever, but he already renewed his contract or added another film to what used to be a 6 movie contract, because during the fundraising event for Christopher`s Haven at the beginning of January, he did he did 4 movies and has 3 more so that means Cap3 and the two IW films.

I think Chris just got aware that he can do events or ask people`s donations and people would do it, like he has the influence now; he has been associated for years to the organization he is promoting now, as well as Boston Children Hospital and the community theater he went to when he was a kid, but we never saw much.

I cringe too when people compare him to Steve Rogers, but I always remember that Feidge said that when he talked with Chris, the things he said and his personality seemed more appropriate to Steve Rogers, than Johnny Storm, which is why the pursuit him to play Cap, though he played another superhero before and Chris wanted nothing to do.

Yes, agreed Xhexania! As a stalker fan of Evans for a long time, I knew he had been doing a lot for charity throughout his acting career, but you're right, I think it's his rise in profile and realizing he can send a lot of traffic to his chosen charity that he's talking about it more and more. I was (mostly) kidding about him sealing himself as Cap forever for MS so they'll keep throwing $$$$ at him. Though I wouldn't mind him playing Cap well into his 90's, personally ;)

He's already crashed Christopher's Haven site a couple of times now, today as well, with these shenanigans. It's a good problem for a charity to have.

I really do love that he's decided to spend his free time doing this, as well as going to Disneyland and hanging out with his family. He's a pretty darn swell guy! /understatement

After Evans' contract is finished, I think Marvel will not recast the role of Steve Rogers, but let either WS or Falcon to take the mantle of Cap in future movies. Then if Evans feels like renewing his contract, he can always come back to make more. Evans is still young; even in ten years he'd still be fit enough to continue if he wants to.

I think Evans will continue playing Cap as long as Marvel sees a good story for Steve Rogers, like it did in TWS (which he spoke openly about how happy it was about it) and also as long as his filming schedule allow him to do other things in the middle; right now and till he is done with CW, he has been doing one Marvel movie per year, and when he isn`t like in 2012, he is promoting it. Maybe one of these every couple of years and he would be fine.

anyway, today pre Super Bowl... Cap and Star Lord met:

tumblr_nj2qrkI0ez1rwiv8to1_540.jpg

hris Evans, left, and Chris Pratt backstage at the 4th annual NFL Honors at the Phoenix Convention Center Symphony Hall on Saturday, Jan. 1, 2015. (Photo by Colin Young-Wolff/Invision for NFL/AP Images)

:woot:

Steve Rogers approves!

tumblr_mnl0k8wosH1qew6ggo1_500.gif

*so does every female on the planet BTW…*

*So, the Chrises will be at the Superb Owl tomorrow, ostensibly, HMMMMMMM?!?!*

there is even more

tumblr_nj3ugfi2Zc1tp8djlo4_540.jpg

tumblr_nj3ugfi2Zc1tp8djlo5_540.jpg

these two are like kids, I can only hope we get to see them in the same movie in IW :woot:

tumblr_nj3h5nFRW61qd4w1no2_500.png

edditing to add

obviously Anna is Team Pratt :p

tumblr_nj3ugfi2Zc1tp8djlo1_540.jpg

tumblr_nj3ugfi2Zc1tp8djlo2_540.jpg

editing to add one more

tumblr_nj3w0vr7vc1tyyn3ko1_540.jpg

Last edited:
From Pratt`s twitter, Cap and Star Lord are enjoying the game together

tumblr_nj49apA7Za1r2fc5wo1_540.jpg

tumblr_nj493yoDfb1sr2sdgo1_540.jpg

Status