The Winter Soldier "The Price Of Freedom Is High." The Chris Evans/Captain America Thread

Everything with Steve and Sam was perfect. Literally, I couldn't have asked for better.

Marvel couldn't have chosen a better Sam Wilson than Anthony Mackie. He and Chris have the perfect friendly dynamic which made their scenes fun to watch. One my few quibbles with TWS was that Steve & Sam didn't get nearly enough screen time together. Now that they're going off together to search for Bucky I look forward to seeing them take their buddy act on the road in CA3.

I agree! Mackie is one of the most likeable actors I've seen in the MCU.

Chris at the Beijing premiere

tumblr_n2y0eurbij1qmuijto3_500.jpg

tumblr_n2y0eurbij1qmuijto4_500.jpg

tumblr_n2y0eurbij1qmuijto2_500.jpg

tumblr_n2y0eurbij1qmuijto1_500.jpg

This sums up my feelings about the demise of Chris' Beard of Hotness:

tumblr_n3jh98RpxA1ryblg3o1_500.jpg

:waa:

I demand bearded Cap for Avengers 3, Joss!!

Seriously, no Chris Evans look will surpass the Beard of Glory. Chris' hair, the beard… all of it was special and wonderful and I weep many tears every morning over my breakfast cereal now that it is gone…

:csad:

I still can't get over how good the Russo's and Evans NAILED the characterization of Cap.

There are three facets of Steve Rogers that have always stood out to me.

1) Fearlessness and swagger on the battlefield.

-Man oh man, did they get this part right. If the Avengers had just one flaw (my second favorite movie of all time), its that Cap wasn't the super-soldier we wanted. While it was understandable, as he just got defrosted and was facing strong personalities like Stark and Fury, he seemed rather timid and meek at times. He was certainly fearless and heroic, but didn't have that confidence or swagger yet. I believe he was still "warming up".

But in TWS, we see the "real" Cap. That sequence on the Lemurian Star is a clear example of exactly what I mean. Obviously he's more comfortable now, and his swagger and confidence is high. The way he fights flawlessly, seeming to enjoy the rush while always having the goal (saving the hostages) at the forefront. THIS is the Captain America I have always seen in the comics.

In a film chock full of awesome examples, I thought the Cap vs Quinjet scene also captured it excellently. The way he doesn't back down or hesitate when the Quinjet and barrier are in the way, but rather speeds up, screams of confidence in his abilities. That was simply a masterful sequence.

2) Leadership.

-Again, while he deserves some slack after being thrust into the Avengers upon waking up, he did not seem to fully accept his leadership position (although he flashed shades of it throughout the movie) until the Battle of New York. In TWS, Cap has clearly grown into the role and has embraced it fully. He's no longer timid or uncomfortable. From laying out orders for the SHIELD strike team on the Lemurian Star, to challenging Fury on BW's separate mission and on Project Insight, to the rallying speech at the end. They nailed it. Sam was another piece of the puzzle, as his willingness to follow Cap into anything is a testament to his leadership.

3) "Skinny-Steve"

-This may be perhaps the most overlooked aspect of Captain America, but it's one that I find very important. In all the action, leadership, and confidence, it would have been too easy for Evans to lose the "skinny-steve" in the "Super-soldier".

But I was extremely pleased that despite the high octane nature of the film, they managed to show glimpses of "skinny-steve". And I'm not talking about the flashbacks. I loved how they included the earnest and simple nature of Cap, as this was important to me. They definitely honored Dr. Erskine's wish of Cap not becoming a great soldier, but staying a good man.

Despite his growth as a character, the kiss with Natasha really showed how underneath all the "Super-soldier", Steve is still a really simple, sincere guy. Evan's delivery of the "Yes, they do." line in response to Natasha's quip about PDAs making people uncomfortable, and his "That isn't exactly the word I would use." line after were so perfect because I could see "skinny-steve" saying the same exact thing, in the same exact manner. It's refreshing to know he's still the same guy underneath.

His "If I run in these shoes, they'll fall off." line and "And we're borrowing, take your feet off the dash." was perfectly executed too. That one line displayed that while he can do things like steal cars easily, he'll never do it. Even when he did, he made sure he was only "borrowing".

These people get Captain America, and I'm ecstatic that they'll be returning for Cap 3. :cap:

Seriously, no Chris Evans look will surpass the Beard of Glory. Chris' hair, the beard… all of it was special and wonderful and I weep many tears every morning over my breakfast cereal now that it is gone…

:funny:

He definitely looked ultra sexy during this press tour. The beard will be missed, lets just hope Whedon learns from his mistakes and makes Cap come off better in The Avengers sequel.

:hehe:

I read he had a beard in that shwarma scene due to shooting Snow Piercer at the time and that was why he wasn't showing his face and eating.

I still can't get over how good the Russo's and Evans NAILED the characterization of Cap.

There are three facets of Steve Rogers that have always stood out to me.

1) Fearlessness and swagger on the battlefield.

-Man oh man, did they get this part right. If the Avengers had just one flaw (my second favorite movie of all time), its that Cap wasn't the super-soldier we wanted. While it was understandable, as he just got defrosted and was facing strong personalities like Stark and Fury, he seemed rather timid and meek at times. He was certainly fearless and heroic, but didn't have that confidence or swagger yet. I believe he was still "warming up".

But in TWS, we see the "real" Cap. That sequence on the Lemurian Star is a clear example of exactly what I mean. Obviously he's more comfortable now, and his swagger and confidence is high. The way he fights flawlessly, seeming to enjoy the rush while always having the goal (saving the hostages) at the forefront. THIS is the Captain America I have always seen in the comics.

In a film chock full of awesome examples, I thought the Cap vs Quinjet scene also captured it excellently. The way he doesn't back down or hesitate when the Quinjet and barrier are in the way, but rather speeds up, screams of confidence in his abilities. That was simply a masterful sequence.

2) Leadership.

-Again, while he deserves some slack after being thrust into the Avengers upon waking up, he did not seem to fully accept his leadership position (although he flashed shades of it throughout the movie) until the Battle of New York. In TWS, Cap has clearly grown into the role and has embraced it fully. He's no longer timid or uncomfortable. From laying out orders for the SHIELD strike team on the Lemurian Star, to challenging Fury on BW's separate mission and on Project Insight, to the rallying speech at the end. They nailed it. Sam was another piece of the puzzle, as his willingness to follow Cap into anything is a testament to his leadership.

3) "Skinny-Steve"

-This may be perhaps the most overlooked aspect of Captain America, but it's one that I find very important. In all the action, leadership, and confidence, it would have been too easy for Evans to lose the "skinny-steve" in the "Super-soldier".

But I was extremely pleased that despite the high octane nature of the film, they managed to show glimpses of "skinny-steve". And I'm not talking about the flashbacks. I loved how they included the earnest and simple nature of Cap, as this was important to me. They definitely honored Dr. Erskine's wish of Cap not becoming a great soldier, but staying a good man.

Despite his growth as a character, the kiss with Natasha really showed how underneath all the "Super-soldier", Steve is still a really simple, sincere guy. Evan's delivery of the "Yes, they do." line in response to Natasha's quip about PDAs making people uncomfortable, and his "That isn't exactly the word I would use." line after were so perfect because I could see "skinny-steve" saying the same exact thing, in the same exact manner. It's refreshing to know he's still the same guy underneath.

His "If I run in these shoes, they'll fall off." line and "And we're borrowing, take your feet off the dash." was perfectly executed too. That one line displayed that while he can do things like steal cars easily, he'll never do it. Even when he did, he made sure he was only "borrowing".

These people get Captain America, and I'm ecstatic that they'll be returning for Cap 3. :cap:

Great great post!! Those are the qualities I love of steve too..I know it weird to say it but this character really inspire me to be a better person. Chris evans portrayal of him really nails it too . I love your post

Something that Steve Rogers should have in CA3 is a dark side. I'm not talking about him shouting "You think this letter on my head stands for France?" I mean something gets Steve Rogers really, really angry. He smashed Zola's screen and was devastated at the Winter Soldier revelation, but Cap's emotion level was mostly "grim determination." For CA3, an enemy does or says something that makes Captain America <i>lose his ****.</i>

I believe Evans, in an interview for TWS, stated that he'd like Cap to actually make a mistake or error in judgement and have to deal with the consequences when asked where he'd like to see the character go next.

I think that is a sound vision and would be interesting to explore.

Something that Steve Rogers should have in CA3 is a dark side. I'm not talking about him shouting "You think this letter on my head stands for France?" I mean something gets Steve Rogers really, really angry. He smashed Zola's screen and was devastated at the Winter Soldier revelation, but Cap's emotion level was mostly "grim determination." For CA3, an enemy does or says something that makes Captain America <i>lose his ****.</i>

Someone killing peggy would pissed him off big time!!

Great great post!! Those are the qualities I love of steve too..I know it weird to say it but this character really inspire me to be a better person. Chris evans portrayal of him really nails it too . I love your post

Totally agree, and I feel the same way. My preference when it comes to superheroes is the more straightforward, traditional type -- someone you can aspire to emulate, who tries to do the right thing because he's a just a good person. It's why Superman is my favourite superhero and Captain America is my favourite Avenger.

Someone killing peggy would pissed him off big time!!

Only crossbones would be so cruel. Might be a good way to increase Sharon's role too.

God that would gut me emotionally though

Captain America doesn't need a "dark side". He's fine as is.

Agreed, it's what makes him stand out. Hafizbat summed up his appeal in this film and what made it work so well. Skinny Steve is as important as Leader Steve and Bad-ash Steve. What makes Steve a truly aspirational and appealing character is his goodness as a person.

Being a good person doesn't mean being a person without depth or multiple facets. Steve has a very tragic back story - and he's been affected by it. He just doesn't allow it to affect how he treats other people. He doesn't use it as an excuse for bad behaviour the way so many people and heroes do.

Yet, you can feel his loneliness in this film and his disconnect from this time wondering if he belongs or that if in order to belong he'll have to change what he believes in and who he intrinsically is. And the answer is here - no he doesn't. He can still protect people, he can still save the world and he can still be a good person who stands by his principles and his friends.

This doesn't mean he can't ever make a mistake. Evans was touching on what happens when he does what's right or thinks what's right and it ends up wrong. How does he respond to that? Because as of now he's not only done what he thinks what's right, it has been been right.

The speech Cap gives at SHIELD towards the end.. makes my hair stand on end just thinking about it.

Evans has evolved Rogers as a character so much since we first saw him in First Avenger. He may be my favorite character in MCU. \

Kudos to Marvel for not letting his stint as Johnny Storm shy them away!!

The speech Cap gives at SHIELD towards the end.. makes my hair stand on end just thinking about it.

Evans has evolved Rogers as a character so much since we first saw him in First Avenger. He may be my favorite character in MCU. \

Kudos to Marvel for not letting his stint as Johnny Storm shy them away!!

Haha what mackie said to cap after that speech still cracks me up even after 4 viewings

Yeah, it got a good chuckle out of me as well.

I like what they did with the Falcon suit, I just wish he had a couple of missiles in addition to the machine guns.

I'm glad this film gave us some flashbacks of Skinny Steve as a remind of who he is "Not a prefect Soldier, but a good man"
XBczVIb.jpg

tumblr_n402g1DenA1tqsknoo2_500.png

tumblr_n402g1DenA1tqsknoo3_500.png

tumblr_n402g1DenA1tqsknoo1_500.png

I can't wait until AOU wraps filming so that Chris can regrow the Beard of Hotness. The world is a sadder place with that glorious beard. :csad:

The beard is great but I prefer him with stubble. Then we still get the sexy roughness but there's no obstruction of the jaw, cheekbones and upper lip. ;)

Saw TWS second time today, and it made me appreciate Evans' performance much more.

The beard is great but I prefer him with stubble. Then we still get the sexy roughness but there's no obstruction of the jaw, cheekbones and upper lip. ;)

To be honest, I wasn't a fan of Chris' bearded look at all until the recent press tour. The stubble is sexy, but when he had a full beard last year for Snowpiercer that wasn't nearly as sexy. It was a rough beard for a rough role. His most recent beard was sheer perfection, though. (Actually I find Chris to be sheer perfection in general. :cwink:)

Saw TWS second time today, and it made me appreciate Evans' performance much more.

I'm planning to see it for the second time on Friday. Hopefully a second viewing will allow me to pick up more nuance, as well as some of the Easter Eggs that slipped under my radar the first time around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"