The Winter Soldier Captain America: The Winter Soldier - User Review Thread! - SPOILERS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last night I was still trying to process the awesomeness I had just seen and really couldn't put it into words. This morning I still can't lol. All I know is I want to see it again, like right now. It's impossible to get everything in one sitting. A few things. The performances were spot on by everyone involved. There really wasn't a weak link at all. Chemistry was just oozing from these characters and it all felt natural. Chris Evans has made me a Captain America fan and my favorite Avenger hand's down. Also, from what I heard I thought Redford was just going to have 1 or 2 scenes in this movie as a glorified cameo and I'm so glad that was inaccurate. He was all over this movie and obviously loving his role. Also, I've heard complaints about the score but I freakin loved it. I thought the music fit the vibe they were going for.

The action. I have to tip my hat to the Russos. These guys know how to stage intense, brutal action scenes. There were so many holy sh** moments in this movie that it's really impossible to name them all. The standouts were of course the opening on the ship, the car chase with Fury and the freeway chase was old school, something you'd see out of a James Cameron movie. The freeway sequence especially I was grinning like an idiot. The Winter Soldier is just a badass, period. He definitely had a Terminator vibe going on and I loved his theme. The fights were up and down and still had some shaky cam and quick cuts in there at times that I could have done without but for the most part I could follow what was going on and the intensity in the fight scenes was undeniable. When someone got hit you felt it.

On a side note, the Peggy moment hit me really hard
since I have an aunt going through alzheimer's at a state much worse than Peggy's and I've seen how it kills my mom and my uncle when they go see her
:csad:

It got a 9/10 from me which will probably go up once I get another viewing this weekend.

Saw it last night, and liked it very very much. Not sure about the "on par with Avengers" comments, but it was a great, solid movie. Spoilers ahead...duh?

I really appreciated the character development and performances from Cap, Natasha, Fury and Falcon. Those relationships were nailed, especially Steve and Natasha. Chris Evans is Captain America, 'nough said. This is the first movie where I've felt we've really seen who Natasha is as a person, and it makes me like her character a whole lot more.

Action sequences were fantastic (that bridge scene!). Winter Soldier was played really well, especially with the set up at the end and the post-credits scene. Redford as Pierce classed up the film nicely. The throwbacks to the first film were tasteful. Being thrown in the middle of Steve and Peggy's modern-day relationship was really well executed. And the easter eggs were a treat. But for some reason, even though through all those positives, I didn't leave the theater with as much of an impact as TFA, TA, or IM3 left me with. Maybe it was because no part of the plot really shook things up for me, or maybe I just need a second viewing. So for now, 8/10 for me.

Oh, and the next time I see it definitely won't be in 3D. It's such a waste if it's not shot natively in 3D, but it was the earliest showing available at my theater.

Edit: Oh, and majorly disappointed that Cap's theme from TFA wasn't referenced even once. The MCU is in dire need of some serious musical continuity, and hopefully Tyler delivers that in AOU. This score was largely forgettable, outside of TWS' techno-scream theme.

Last edited:
I may have been over zealous but I gave it a 10. I have to see it again soon, but it was tremendous. I will give a more thorough review once I see it a second time. Definitely my favorite Marvel movie.

This was the best Marvel Studios film period, IMO.

They outdid themselves with this one.

Juts flat out the most solid, well put together film in their library.

Saw the movie last night, and WOW. Just ... WOW. I was blown away. This is the most badass Marvel Studios film to date, to be honest.

I'll still say that The Avengers and Iron Man 1 are still my favorites from Marvel Studios, but this movie is in that same ballpark. And this is coming from someone who loves the first Captain America movie.

I enjoyed Iron Man 3 and Thor: The Dark World a lot. Captain America: Winter Soldier is easily the best movie of Phase 2 so far, though.

I feel bad for Guardians, Amazing Spider-Man 2 and Days of Future Past to have to follow.

I feel bad for Guardians, Amazing Spider-Man 2 and Days of Future Past to have to follow.

I feel bad for Amazing Spider-Man 2 and Days of Future Past.

I think Guardians is going to be another nice surprise for people. Marvel Studios is almost literally slaying their competition at this point.

Last night I was still trying to process the awesomeness I had just seen and really couldn't put it into words. This morning I still can't lol. All I know is I want to see it again, like right now. It's impossible to get everything in one sitting. A few things. The performances were spot on by everyone involved. There really wasn't a weak link at all. Chemistry was just oozing from these characters and it all felt natural. Chris Evans has made me a Captain America fan and my favorite Avenger hand's down. Also, from what I heard I thought Redford was just going to have 1 or 2 scenes in this movie as a glorified cameo and I'm so glad that was inaccurate. He was all over this movie and obviously loving his role. Also, I've heard complaints about the score but I freakin loved it. I thought the music fit the vibe they were going for.

The action. I have to tip my hat to the Russos. These guys know how to stage intense, brutal action scenes. There were so many holy sh** moments in this movie that it's really impossible to name them all. The standouts were of course the opening on the ship, the car chase with Fury and the freeway chase was old school, something you'd see out of a James Cameron movie. The freeway sequence especially I was grinning like an idiot. The Winter Soldier is just a badass, period. He definitely had a Terminator vibe going on and I loved his theme. The fights were up and down and still had some shaky cam and quick cuts in there at times that I could have done without but for the most part I could follow what was going on and the intensity in the fight scenes was undeniable. When someone got hit you felt it.

On a side note, the Peggy moment hit me really hard
since I have an aunt going through alzheimer's at a state much worse than Peggy's and I've seen how it kills my mom and my uncle when they go see her

It got a 9/10 from me which will probably go up once I get another viewing this weekend.

The more I think about it, the more the Peggy/Steve stuff really, really hurt.

I think it's really clear from the way Steve
reacted to her fugue that he's already experienced this, that he has probably, likely been visiting her whenever he can. Peggy's basically stuck in time, differently than how Cap can't escape his past in this movie, but it's another variation on the theme of being "out of their time." It was just so darn heartbreaking to watch. Especially one of the most kickass women in the MCU slowly deteriorating over time. :csad::csad::csad:

And, Sebastian Stan said in interviews that he modeled his performance after watching his stepfather with Alzheimer's. That was so completely clear during
the scene with Pierce in the minderasing chair of HYDRA doom. The confusion and vagueness as Bucky was trying to latch onto his memories… really well portrayed by the Russos and Stan.

Saw it last night, and liked it very very much. Not sure about the "on par with Avengers" comments, but it was a great, solid movie. Spoilers ahead...duh?

I really appreciated the character development and performances from Cap, Natasha, Fury and Falcon. Those relationships were nailed, especially Steve and Natasha. Chris Evans is Captain America, 'nough said. This is the first movie where I've felt we've really seen who Natasha is as a person, and it makes me like her character a whole lot more.

Action sequences were fantastic (that bridge scene!). Winter Soldier was played really well, especially with the set up at the end and the post-credits scene. Redford as Pierce classed up the film nicely. The throwbacks to the first film were tasteful. Being thrown in the middle of Steve and Peggy's modern-day relationship was really well executed. And the easter eggs were a treat. But for some reason, even though through all those positives, I didn't leave the theater with as much of an impact as TFA, TA, or IM3 left me with. Maybe it was because no part of the plot really shook things up for me, or maybe I just need a second viewing. So for now, 8/10 for me.

Oh, and the next time I see it definitely won't be in 3D. It's such a waste if it's not shot natively in 3D, but it was the earliest showing available at my theater.

Edit: Oh, and majorly disappointed that Cap's theme from TFA wasn't referenced even once. The MCU is in dire need of some serious musical continuity, and hopefully Tyler delivers that in AOU. This score was largely forgettable, outside of TWS' techno-scream theme.

It was referenced at the very beginning when Steve was running with Sam.

I agree that there should have been a more distinct Cap theme in the movie, or at least an updating of Silvestri's score. But the score really, really worked for me during the action pieces. Especially the car scenes. It was almost like those pieces were lifted right out of a 70's thriller. So good!

There were two moments that really had me close to tears. The scene with Peggy, and the end fight scene.
I'm with you to the end of the line

Saw it last night . . . wow. Just wow.

I'll try and write something more coherent later, but for now I'm just basking in the awesomeness.

I saw T:TDW five times in theaters because different people kept wanting to see it with me. I think I'll see Winter Soldier more times then that just on my own.

So weird seeing skinny steve after looking at big steve for so long. lol.
Oh and I'm so glad Pierce wasn't the Red Skull. That would've been way too much

TASM2 was something else entirely. It's notch above Cap 2 imo. We'll see how good DOFP is.:oldrazz:

Yep.

Those.

UGH.

:waa:

Really glad you liked it Suzanne after you seeing all these people posting about it. It could easily have hyped up your expectations and you could've ended up disappointed. Glad you didn't. Did you dress up or paint your nails for the movie?

TASM 2 will be fine, especially with BO.

Because the whiff of your armpits will be distracting you too much from seeing the flaws in the movie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Francuz231
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"