Captain Marvel costume thread

Discussion in 'Captain Marvel' started by harryoscop, Oct 29, 2014.

1. BoredGuy

BoredGuy Chairman of the Bored

Yeah the mask's design is not great, not all the time at least (some artists make it look cooler than others)

But I agree with the general sentiment that female costumes need more variety and could stand to be more "superhero-y"

If they figure out a cool redesign, and go Star-Lord with it (CGI to make it go on in appropriate situations like in space) I think it could be good

2. Havok83

Havok83 Registered

Oh god I hope not. That ruined what could have been a decent look. It would be best not to have it so they can showcase their star. The helmet was ugly and would look even worse in live action

3. Kahran Ramsus

Kahran Ramsus Registered

Wasp does.

4. Loki882

Loki882 Registered

Also the headpiece/cowls are only sporadically used anyway:

-They constantly cut to shots inside the IM helmet so that you can see RDJ's face.
    -Cap frequently takes his mask off for various reasons, and it was just flat-out ripped off in TA.
    -WS stops wearing any kind of headgear at around the halfway mark of TWS.
    -Thor wore his helmet like once, and not in battle.
    -Etc.

I like the Carol CM costume, but the helmet has never really worked for me TBH.

5. cph9fa

cph9fa Registered

^ And even [BLACKOUT]Spidey & Black Panther each lost their headpieces at some point[/BLACKOUT] in CA:CW.

At any rate, I like the idea of some type of practical helmet if she ends up flying in space, or perhaps high altitudes or high velocities. But otherwise it's not really needed.

6. Loki882

Loki882 Registered

The thin is, in the comics, it's not even consistent. Some writers/artists play it as "oh she needs it to breathe in space." But other writers/artists just seem to have her breathing in space on her own without it.

7. KangConquers

KangConquers Purple Kang, Purple Kang

This color scheme

[​IMG]

on this design.

[​IMG]

8. Endeavor

Endeavor Que bolá con el timbeque?

I like it

I'd also like to have the yellow lines that spread from the starburst to the shoulders removed. I find them jarring.

9. Havok83

Havok83 Registered

I dont get it. Its the same color scheme. Are you saying invert the red and blue? Bc if so, I say no. Its fine as is and I can imagine it looking awkward with so much red

10. KangConquers

I feel the opposite. I think it looks awkward with the red helmet, and have always hated the color inversion of Mar-Vell's outfit since they debuted the look.

11. Havok83

Havok83 Registered

well if she has that in there, the helmet would need to go anyway, so hopefully that would be a non-issue. I think navy would work better live action than bright red. Its more in line with the other looks of the MCU but still has plenty of color to make it stand out as an actual costume compared to the rest

12. KangConquers

I fully expect this film to have a direct adaptation of the current costume, as I believe the current run was launched with the idea of getting Carol "Film ready."

13. Loki882

Loki882 Registered

Well her new costume does kind of scream "we wanted a more immediately cinematic costume," I agree with that. And I've felt that for years now. And, I don't really mind it because I really like said costume (mask and fauxhawk aside).

14. BoredGuy

BoredGuy Chairman of the Bored

I still like the refresh from a few years ago more than the most recent Kris Anka design, it's too high-tech-armor for my taste, the earlier one felt more military inspired

15. KangConquers

I actually believe a lot of the changes in Marvel during the 21st century were done with movies in mind.

- The Ultimates. Though the MCU characters often favor their 616 counterparts personalities, so many visual cues and storyline elements come from Mark Millar's take on the Avengers. Thank God they're not sociopaths.
    - Spider-Man and Wolverine joined the Avengers to raise the profile of the title.
    - I believe Annihilation happened to introduce the cosmic characters Marvel did have the rights to in a major event, piggy backing on more famous characters like the Super Skrull, Silver Surfer and Galactus. I also believe the 2008 GoTG team was formed as a platform for a cosmic marvel movie.

The Captain Marvel reboot to me is right in line with past decisions, and I imagine the costume was designed to basically be translated directly.

16. merkymerx

merkymerx Registered

I’ve recently tried my hand at making an MCU design for Carol :)

Click here for the hi-res version: https://cdn2.artstation.com/p/asset...iguel-mercado-carol-mcu-upload.jpg?1464390577

This concept takes heavy inspiration from Kris Anka's design. I was going for a military, air force feel, so my main point of reference were various types of pilot gear.

The face is no one in particular. I did however, refer to Katheryn Winnick and Elizabeth Debicki's faces constantly as I painted this.

[​IMG]

17. Endeavor

Endeavor Que bolá con el timbeque?

Wow. That's fantastic. It actually makes me like that costume, which I normally hate.

18. KangConquers

The color choices on that painting are much better than the usual ones in the comic. You also managed to make the short hair cut work, something the comic book artists never do. Basically a perfect MCU design.

I'd love to see your take on the mask.

19. Loki882

Loki882 Registered

Agreed, that looks very well-done.

20. Orba

Orba Registered

Wow, very nicely done.

21. Abudefduf

Abudefduf Registered

Impressive work. Love the hair.

Unfortunately, I can't say I'm fan of the militarized outfit, which is why I don't like Anka's "redesign" either, even though I love his art. I hope MS goes for something different and more faithful to the original McKelvie design. It's totally not gonna happen but, eh.

22. Loki882

Loki882 Registered

Carol's a career military woman. So, like Captain America, I'd argue that a more militarized design to her costume is not only ok, but appropriate. And given that all of Cap's costume in the MCU (outside of TA one) are more militarized, I think that the odds of Carol having such an outfit are pretty fair.

23. Abudefduf

Abudefduf Registered

I'm not a huge fan of Cap's MCU costumes either. I like my superheroes to look over the top and colorful.*
    But I agree that a militarized uniform would probably make sense for her... it's just not my preference.

* Well, to a reasonable extent at least. Wolverine's mask for example, now that's cb silliness gone wrong. :o

#298 Abudefduf, May 28, 2016
    Last edited: May 28, 2016
  24. Mike Murdock

Mike Murdock Registered

I'd argue the closest look should be either a pilot's jumpsuit or a NASA jumpsuit (both of which are pretty similar). Think Maverick from Top Gun, but with Captain Marvel's color scheme.

25. Mike5575

Mike5575 I'm the Captain now!

Please no to some generic flight suit. This is a character that gets her powers from super-aliens. What she wears should reflect that. I'd much rather the costume have an alien feel to it. I'm thinking not so much a costume or uniform, but an advanced Kree space suit. It's not a piece of fabric than can simply be worn and taken off. Maybe it's a part of her DNA or some weird ****. I certainly don't want zippers, pouches, kneepads, and especially no parachute straps. In other words, not something that is so cosplayable.

I mean, Thor is a super-alien, and his costume is so unlike anyone else's.

Anyways, I do like the hair. It's great.