Captain Marvel costume thread

Discussion in 'Captain Marvel' started by harryoscop, Oct 29, 2014.

1. harryoscop

harryoscop Registered

I appreciate the effort he put into it, but it looks too close to a flight suit + Cap's suit. It doesn't look an alien Bio suit at all. Again, It's a really nice painting but it's not what I want for Carol's suit.

2. AndrewGilkison

AndrewGilkison Registered

I would hate it if this was her costume. I am not a big fan of the Kris Anka Captain Marvel suit in the comics, and this doesn't sell me on the idea of the MCU adapting it that closely.

3. Mike Murdock

Mike Murdock Registered

How is Anka's suit different than the one that came before it?

4. Mike5575

Mike5575 I'm the Captain now!

Flight suits are by definition "generic." They serve a general purpose. I've seen plenty of flight suits in my time in the service and in countless other movies. There's obviously nothing wrong with them, but they don't exactly stand out as "whoa! That's looks so kewl!" Remember how people were so stoked after seeing Black Panther's suit in Civil War? I want the same level of awesomeness in Captain Marvel's MCU costume. What some people are describing here is just cosplay and not worthy of an MCU costume.

A poster here literally said that they want a Top Gun flight suit minus the patches. Like seriously? That's anything anybody can cosplay. The point that I was trying to convey about Green Lantern's costume is that his past as a fighter pilot didn't inform the look of the costume. So, why should it be different for Captain Marvel? It seems like some people here would rather see Carol as a fighter pilot as opposed to an actual superhero.

Kris Anka was heavily inspired by the Warbird look with all the extra pouches and kneepads. The suit has an almost armored/padded look. There is no helmet, she has short hair, and the sash is now a red belt/sash combo. The gloves are shorter and have a gold pouch on the back of her hands. The boots are shorter and are more like shoes.

5. merkymerx

merkymerx Registered

Tried to make a rough quick sketch from the waist up :)

These are just elements off the top of my head. It's still going to need a ton of work design wise, but this is the general direction I was thinking of going towards. I'm going to experiment with different textures to make it feel different from the suit Cap has.

[​IMG]

6. Endeavor

Endeavor Que bolá con el timbeque?

Try inverting the colors

7. BoredGuy

BoredGuy Chairman of the Bored

Well he didn't "literally" want that, you're misconstruing things here
    nobody wants her to just be a pilot, just to see military inspiration in the costume

that also relates to the Anka vs pre-Anka design.
    Anka's is very MCU/modern-CBM inspired with its armored pieces and practical fit
    whereas the pre-anka design had a more Formal-military style to it, with the buttons and the more simplistic design

8. Havok83

Havok83 Registered

how about this

[​IMG]

9. BoredGuy

she looks pretty sexy there, no doubt, but short of body paint I'm pretty sure you can't pull that off irl

10. Abudefduf

Abudefduf Registered

Looking at that awful statue made me realize that eventually we'll get a Hot Toys version of her. Man, if they nail the actress and costume that one'll probably be the first HT figure I ever buy.

Cool. It kind of looks like alien armor, or something. I still hope for something closer to the original McKelvie design but I wouldn't mind this at all.

#335 Abudefduf, Jun 1, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
  11. Loki882

Loki882 Registered

Yeah the people who are claiming that "oh you just want a flight suit" nonsense are the ones guilty of hyperbole, because no one here is saying that. We're saying that her costume should have a military/pilot-aesthetic/inspiration to it. Because she's a pilot and a military officer, and it's bee a major part of her character for awhile no. Certainly more so than her being half-alien (which is basically just the excuse to give her powers, not much more). And Carol's never really identified as being half-alien herself either, whereas she has and does identify as being a military woman.

So no, this "oh she should have some wacky sci-fi gizmo costume because she's half-alien and that's more important" doesn't fit her character really.

I also disagree completely that most of the GA (who DO love CA's movie costumes BTW) would look at that and say "boring." That seems much more like a "hardcore fan overthinking things on the internet" type of complaint.

12. Havok83

Havok83 Registered

I kind of disagree with your dismissal of the alien aspect. Its more than just an excuse to give her powers. its been a major part of her character the last several years as Marvel has given her a big push and made her a major player in the cosmic space. She's undeniably a cosmic character now and its bc of her Kree origin and powers. Its one of the things they've really reinforced since she took on the Captain Marvel mantle and more so now in her current series than ever. Id bet money that the movie will draw inspiration from this and embrace it bc there are no other cosmic Avengers in the MCU. Its something unique to her that makes her stand out from the rest

13. Abudefduf

Abudefduf Registered

Personally if I were a badass half-alien warrior I'd want people to focus on that, screw my boring earthly job. :o

And let's be honest, if fans (both hardcore and casual alike) had a better alternative at their disposal, they would probably more than happily take a dump on all the previous CA's outfits they now proclaim to love so much. Happened with Batman, would happen again.

Basically what I'm saying is that I'm not crazy, I'm just ahead of the curve.

#338 Abudefduf, Jun 1, 2016
  14. metaphysician

metaphysician Not a Side-Kick

Actually, not *entirely* sans the patches. A stylized derivative of a patch would make a great excuse to put the CM starburst on her shoulders. After all, unit/mission patches already tend to be fancy, symbolic emblems. No reason you can't take the basic idea, and enhance it.

Note that this applies even if the suit is alien-derived. Kree uniforms probably have the equivalent of unit insignia, after all.

#339 metaphysician, Jun 1, 2016
  15. MbJ

MbJ Registered

It looks nice, not a fan of the gold lining everywhere though. It looks nice on a toy, but is kind of busy.

Not sure what the alternative would be. Unlike Batman's previous suits, Cap had a pretty comic-accurate look in The Avengers. And it looked feckin' silly.

16. BoredGuy

Eh, don't listen to the trolls, if CM's costume is half as well realized as Cap's AoU, CW, or stealth suit, we'll be in good shape... it may not be perfect on the first try much like Cap's and Thor's, but give it a movie or two and it will crystallize into her perfect look

17. Abudefduf

Abudefduf Registered

That's because the execution there was just terrible. I could easily google a bunch of awful Millerbats cosplays and use them as proof that Millerbat would never work in live-action, and yet this very year someone proved you can do it.
    I can think of quite a few things people used to say would never work on film... until a brave and creative mind came along and made them freaking work, sometimes against all odds. Marvel Studios are actually a fine example of that, for the most part.

Trolls? I am a single person goddamit. :cmad: We are not legion.

#342 Abudefduf, Jun 1, 2016
  18. merkymerx

merkymerx Registered

Here's where I'm currently at! I've decided to scrap a lot of my previous ideas and go with a more skintight feel to the suit. Been looking through the comments and I've been trying to apply some new ideas based on what I've read.

The lines currently might look a bit too heavy and overwhelming, but after rendering, they'll blend in a lot better.

[​IMG]

#343 merkymerx, Jun 1, 2016
  19. Fincher

Fincher Inner Circle

If I were transformed into a superpowered half-alien, I'd cling to what I could that's normal to me for stability.

As for how the costumes look, I prefer Captain America's First Avenger look, so a military-themed approach would be fine to me.

20. harryoscop

harryoscop Registered

21. Neno_Kos

Neno_Kos Registered

I personally think her costume will be like Spidey's, sleek and tight. But wont look cheap.

22. KangConquers

KangConquers Purple Kang, Purple Kang

This gets into the trickier aspects of Carol. There's such a tenuous balance of acknowledging her origin without turning her into an adjunct character. Because that's what she started out as. A spin-off. Yet in this movie, she's the franchise.

I'm curious how they pull this off, from the plot of the movie to the costume. I have faith in them, but I don't know how they'll do it.

23. AndrewGilkison

AndrewGilkison Registered

Carol gets her powers from having her DNA melded with a Kree with an energy based machine that explodes. She isn't the female version of Captain America. I think having her costume being Kree tech and having an alien look would not only fit her powerset and her ties to the Kree but allow her costume to stand out (as opposed to looking similar to the Captain America MCU costumes) and ties more into her mythos (and it makes even more sense if this movie is going to be an origin story).

24. harryoscop

harryoscop Registered

:up:

25. Mike5575

Mike5575 I'm the Captain now!

I don't think I'm misconstruing anything. The poster said something like the Top Gun flight suit minus the patches.

Kris Anka was inspired by the Warbird look with a more armored/padded look and pouches. It had nothing to do with the MCU. Kris Anka said so himself:

Well, you clearly don't know the character all that well. Carol's alien "Kree Warrior" side of her has been a part of her character since, well ever. It's part of her freaking origin.

So no, this "oh she should have some wacky sci-fi gizmo costume because she's half-alien and that's more important" doesn't fit her character really.[/QUOTE]

So, who is using hyperbole now? At least my idea requires a little bit of imagination and effort on my part. Whether you like it or not, Carol Danvers is a cosmic superhero and her costume should reflect that. In fact, it was her military background that was largely ignored. Carol's still pretty recent change to Captain Marvel gave a much larger focus to her military background, and this is cool. This makes the possibility of Carol being seen a leader all the more believable. The idea of the costume being tied to her Kree DNA is sound. It can be used as a sci-fi explanation of her molecular manipulation ability in the comics.

And flight suits are for puny pathetic humans who need special suits to equalize the blood flow in their body so they don't pass out. Carol's superhuman physiology would have no need for such a thing. What Carol would need is a costume that's just as durable as she is. In other words, she needs something that won't burn up on re-entry, incinerate as Carol absorbs an explosion, or tears as a building falls on top of her. Carol does plenty of flying in space, so her costume should be able to hold up in space. There are a few limited options:

1. T'Challa gives Carol a vibranium suit
    2. Tony Stark creates an advanced space suit for Carol
    3. It's an advanced Kree space/battle suit

The first two options could work, but it would be much better if Carol's suit was something she could call her own. The third option is the best and fits the characters origins.

You know it's funny. When Kevin Feige announced Captain Marvel, he said absolutely NOTHING about Carol's military background, but said she was a Earthbound hero whose powers and adventures take place in the COSMIC realm. Why was this? Because that makes her much more unique since we already have Avengers with a military background(Cap, Falcon, and War Machine). Not to mention, they have her movie snap dab in the middle of two cosmic based Avengers films. Do the math.