Captain Marvel costume thread

Thanks for the comments, everyone! I appreciate the variety of input :)

I know this might sound creepy but I found out your deviantart profile and my God dude, you're talented as heck. You draw some very cool looking heroines. Dat Oracle. :up:

Please no to some generic flight suit. This is a character that gets her powers from super-aliens. What she wears should reflect that.

She is also someone who was an accomplished air force pilot and I feel her costume should reflect that heritage too. I'm not saying Captain Mar-Vell should look like a generic flightsuit, I'm saying Captain Marvel's suit should be inspired by both Mar-Vell (color scheme, star of Hala) and her air force past.

I'd much rather the costume have an alien feel to it. I'm thinking not so much a costume or uniform, but an advanced Kree space suit. It's not a piece of fabric than can simply be worn and taken off. Maybe it's a part of her DNA or some weird ****.

But that's never been remotely part of her character.

I mean, her costume does just sort of materialize around her when she wants to wear it. If they decided to keep that aspect, it won't fly in the movies without some sort of alien explanation. I always figured they could explain it away by having it be a sort of Kree bio-suit she inherited directly from a dying Mar-Vell, as it was bonded to his DNA which she now shares. Or something like that, lol, but having it made for her and just inspired by him works too.

That said, your design is fantastic, merkymerx! :up:

Last edited:
I’ve recently tried my hand at making an MCU design for Carol :)

Click here for the hi-res version: https://cdn2.artstation.com/p/asset...iguel-mercado-carol-mcu-upload.jpg?1464390577

This concept takes heavy inspiration from Kris Anka's design. I was going for a military, air force feel, so my main point of reference were various types of pilot gear.

The face is no one in particular. I did however, refer to Katheryn Winnick and Elizabeth Debicki's faces constantly as I painted this.

p5MT4Gd.jpg

Just saw this on the Marvel sub-reddit, beautiful! Well done mate! :ilv:

Carol's a career military woman. So, like Captain America, I'd argue that a more militarized design to her costume is not only ok, but appropriate. And given that all of Cap's costume in the MCU (outside of TA one) are more militarized, I think that the odds of Carol having such an outfit are pretty fair.

She is also someone who was an accomplished air force pilot and I feel her costume should reflect that heritage too. I'm not saying Captain Mar-Vell should look like a generic flightsuit, I'm saying Captain Marvel's suit should be inspired by both Mar-Vell (color scheme, star of Hala) and her air force past.

Captain Marvel is not like Captain America power-wise. I don't want to see Carol decked out in NOMEX tactical gear or a flight suit. While the military background is an important part of her character that shouldn't be ignored in the movies, it's not exactly unique. Captain America, War Machine, and Falcon had military backgrounds. But how many Avengers are aliens or at least have a somewhat cosmic background? With the exception of Thor, Carol's the only cosmic hero and her costume should reflect that. When Kevin Feige first announced her movie. He said nothing about Carol having a military background, but talked about Carol being a cosmic superhero.

As far as her military background, Carol could simply add some airforce flair, like her sash or something. I don't think it's necessary, though. Just focus on Carol's love of flight, and that'll be enough. Maybe she reversed Mar-Vell's color scheme to represent the Air Force blue. But, even that wouldn't make sense.

Captain Marvel, seriously?
Terminator-Salvation-Flight-suit-for-Movie-Prep-work-Intro-3.jpg

Nope, not on my watch. Put Carol in tights, not a flight suit, since those things are notoriously baggy. A flight suit would look horrible when she's flying around.

But that's never been remotely part of her character.

Minor molecular ability: the power for Captain Marvel to use a portion of absorbed energy to change her clothes into her costume and vice versa. What I previously described could simply be the MCU version of that.

I'm fine with the alien costume idea if that means avoiding the typical "grounded" MCU look that's already plaguing Cap, Hawkeye etc.

"Plaguing" Cap?? :whatever:

Hawkeye could be better, but Cap looks just fine

I'm fine with the alien costume idea if that means avoiding the typical "grounded" MCU look that's already plaguing Cap, Hawkeye etc.

Cap's costumes in the MCU are all inspired by his looks in the books. Outside of Avengers, he's looked amazing in all the films. My favorite was TWS

6de3f892c924d15c-captainamerica2532742cee4f7a.jpg

Actually most of the characters have costumes that are just variations of their comic looks. I have faith that they'll do her justice bc for the most part, they've done right by the other characters

Yeah, Cap and Hawkeye are just fine. Cap's costume is a perfect blend of bright colors and practicality. These are two grounded superheroes. Captain Marvel is a character who flies and shoots photon blasts from her hands. I'd rather have Marvel take a less grounded approach with her costume.

Thank you for the positive feedback on my work, you guys. I really appreciate it! :)

And thank you as well for sharing your viewpoints on how some of you think she should look. For the fanart I make, there's no other eyes on them besides mine, so I'm sure I missed out on a number of different factors as my personal preferences take over.

The idea of a Kree type / unearthly suit sounds nice. It'll definitely be a challenge to try and incorporate both that and her military roots (which I still would like to show somehow). I'd love to give it a shot! I need to expand my design skills anyway lol

So far I'm checking out the designs of Thanos, Ronan, and various GotG characters. Also looking at Asgardian outfits for inspiration.

Suggestions are more than welcome!

And thank you as well for sharing your viewpoints on how some of you think she should look. For the fanart I make, there's no other eyes on them besides mine, so I'm sure I missed out on a number of different factors as my personal preferences take over.
And that's exactly how it should be. Constructive criticism is never a bad thing but if you're satisfied (which is the most important thing, unless you plan to sell it, lol) with your work, you should never feel forced to change anything about it.

"Plaguing" Cap?? :whatever:
Yes, yes I have an unpopular opinion. It's not the first time nor it'll be the last. Do you always happen to agree with the majority? I doubt it.

It's not like I can force myself to enjoy something if I simply don't. Earlier in this thread there were people saying that they don't like ("hate" is the world they used) Carol Danver's Captain Marvel costume; I strongly disagree with them but you don't see me going around throwing eye-rolls at them.

So say, "I'd like an alien costume because it would add variety"

But I'll eyeroll the s**t out of silly hyperbole all I want, thank you very much

But the reason I'd like an alien costume is not because it would add variety, is because MS would probably make the militarized one look bad, just like they did with Cap's: colorless, pointlessly busy and boring. :oldrazz: So grounded. Much realism.
If Batman were in the MCU, I'm sure he'd probably wear the exact same bat-outfit he wore in the Nolan movies. :o

Btw yeah, keep eyerolling all you want, that won't stop me from sharing THE OBJECTIVE TRUTH oh sorry, I meant, my opinion.

Last edited:
whatever you say son

hqdefault.jpg

Last edited:
I agree, I don't want the costume to look man-made tactical gear like Cap, it should look extraterrestrial-esque with sleek, nano tech materials (because it materializes on her) & subtle energy lines flowing through the suit. Carol is not an earth-bound hero like Cap. And i've seen some people wanting them to lose the mask entirely... That's a bland idea imo. No female MCU heroes have masks or any kind of helmet, i'd like to have some variety. I'm sure they could find a way to incorporate it like they did Starlord's helmet.

Last edited:
My only problem with the mask is that the comic book one looks ugly as heck, if they can change the design a bit and make it a bit more pleasant I'd be totally fine with her wearing it.

Last edited:
Eh, even if the costume is extraterrestrial-derived, it should still draw from "flight suit" as one of its stylistic bases. Carol Danvers is, and should be, a pilot. This should inform the look. Besides, a flight suit provides a good base to work from for developing high tech/alien aesthetic developments.

Eh, even if the costume is extraterrestrial-derived, it should still draw from "flight suit" as one of its stylistic bases. Carol Danvers is, and should be, a pilot. This should inform the look. Besides, a flight suit provides a good base to work from for developing high tech/alien aesthetic developments.

No it shouldn't inform the look. You don't see Hal Jordan flying around in a flight suit, now do you? No, of course not, because that would be silly. Hal Jordan as a pilot represents his pre-superhero past. The same is true with Carol Danvers. Also, if the flight suit is extra-terrestrial, it most certainly won't be a flight suit, but rather an advanced space suit made by the Kree. Besides, the Captain Marvel costume looks nothing like a flight suit.

We're finaly going to have a super-powered hero with the ability to fly under her own power and people want to put her in a generic flight suit? Please. She should wear tights. It's a basic rule for that type of a hero.

We're finaly going to have a super-powered hero with the ability to fly under her own power and people want to put her in a generic flight suit? Please. She should wear tights. It's a basic rule for that type of a hero.
You are the only one that has said that. I dont think anyone is wanting a generic flight suit here, especially not looking like that pic you posted before

Yeah, nobody wants a real US Air Force issued flight suit

people want something with inspiration taken from already-non-real Hollywood flight suits, like so:

8.jpg

I would personally like it to be more superhero-y and not so military
but I definitely don't want it to veer off too far into alien/Green Lantern style either

Last edited:
No it shouldn't inform the look. You don't see Hal Jordan flying around in a flight suit, now do you? No, of course not, because that would be silly. Hal Jordan as a pilot represents his pre-superhero past. The same is true with Carol Danvers. Also, if the flight suit is extra-terrestrial, it most certainly won't be a flight suit, but rather an advanced space suit made by the Kree. Besides, the Captain Marvel costume looks nothing like a flight suit.

:up: :up: I don't get the want for CA-esque suit inspired by generic flight suit considering that the suit has never looked like that in the comics & it wouldn't really make sense. It's always been a Kree bio/space suit.

Last edited:
I think what merkymerx posted is really the perfect design

Yeah, nobody wants a real US Air Force issued flight suit

people want something with inspiration taken from already-non-real Hollywood flight suits, like so:

8.jpg

I would personally like it to be more superhero-y and not so military
but I definitely don't want it to veer off too far into alien/Green Lantern style either

Yeah, that's the style I was thinking of. Obviously, sans the patches.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"