Captain Marvel costume thread

they wouldn't need to do this in the MCU though bc they are already using it in the comics and have done so for decades

Aye. They really don't have to go this route at all.

But it seems with DC's Wonder Woman coming out a year earlier that Marvel would want to make a point of saying "We have our own female hero here" by using a more gender-specific moniker like Ms. Marvel for the film's title. Ms. Marvel would certainly resonate with female audiences better. Not Captain Marvel...something that audiences may get confused with Captain America. Too many damn captains in the kitchen. ;)

Seems like a marketing misstep to me. But time will tell.

How about this? Its a variation of her Ms. Marvel costume with pants

ms_marvel_by_x_men_pro-d6y2wnt.jpg

I like that. And to Dark Raven's point, imagine it in navy or red as opposed to black. :up:

Aye. They really don't have to go this route at all.

But it seems with DC's Wonder Woman coming out a year earlier that Marvel would want to make a point of saying "We have our own female hero here" by using a more gender-specific moniker like Ms. Marvel for the film's title. Ms. Marvel would certainly resonate with female audiences better. Not Captain Marvel...something that audiences may get confused with Captain America. Too many damn captains in the kitchen. ;)

Seems like a marketing misstep to me. But time will tell.

I think Ms Marvel has a nicer parallel to Wonder Woman as well. MM and WW, compared to CM and WW. Might've been better if Ms were pronounced "Miss", because admittedly "Miss Marvel" said phonetically sounds better than "Mizz Marvel." However, when written, I think "Ms Marvel" looks better than "Miss Marvel" (although "Miss" is not too bad).

Also, it shows without a doubt that this is their first female superhero movie. Captain Marvel sounds a bit more like something in the vein of Flash Gordon. Kind of 50s B-movie-ish.

I think Ms Marvel has a nicer parallel to Wonder Woman as well. MM and WW, compared to CM and WW. Might've been better if Ms were pronounced "Miss", because admittedly "Miss Marvel" said phonetically sounds better than "Mizz Marvel." However, when written, I think "Ms Marvel" looks better than "Miss Marvel" (although "Miss" is not too bad).

Also, it shows without a doubt that this is their first female superhero movie. Captain Marvel sounds a bit more like something in the vein of Flash Gordon. Kind of 50s B-movie-ish.

Agreed.

For a while I really wanted it to be Ms.Marvel, but I think its better move to start right away as Captain. Less confusing.

What if Carol's costume is similar to the comic version of Dark Phoenix but instead of a yellow sash, gloves and boots and a Phoenix symbol she has a dark blue sash, gloves and boots and the Kree starburst symbol?

^Isn't that already true?

No. Cap's first costume was the one seen in his first solo film. It looked decent there and I didnt find it silly. They changed it in Avengers 1 for the worst. Story had nothing to do with those changes. It looked especially bad next to everyone else as I found them to be decent and he stood out in a bad way. The one seen in AoU seems to be more inspired by that original suit in terms of the color scheme shades and elements like straps as opposed to the bright simplistic one in Avengers 1.

I never said I or anyone went to see these films for pure aesthetics. I don't think story or "emotional value" make silly costumes look non-silly. It may or may not explain why a hero is in one, but aesthetically if the thing looks bad, then it looks bad.

You said you are just talking about pure aesthetics, I pointed out that people don't go for pure aesthetics to point out that your focus is not necessarily relevant to the quality of a costume in a film. That is, silly and bad are two different and largely unrelated things. No matter how good something looks, if it is way out of place, it's silly. No matter how bad something looks, if it makes perfect sense, it's not silly. If you're just talking about outside of a film, then it's off topic when talking about film costumes.

Story had everything to do with the changes to Cap's costume from Cap 1 to A1. The exchange between Coulson and Steve on the jet is essentially Cap's A1 storyline. He's old fashioned. He's got silver age values in the Post-modern age, does that work? A bright simplistic costume, which really did look great without the helmet, drives that home. A busy WWII drab fatigue set doesn't. Plus as a rival to Iron Man he has to shine as bright, he has to be mockable, for being simplistic, in order for IM to learn his lesson. Story very much drove that costume. They just had a horrible helmet. Ugh, THAT thing was ugly.

The AoU suit does go back to Cap 1, and combines it with the suit from Cap 2... because that's exactly the journey that Cap has just been on, bringing his Cap 1 values and mission into the world of Cap 2, something that was symbolized even in Cap 2 by... a costume change. Costume is part of the story, and vice versa. Anything less than that is missing a chance at telling the best story possible.

So for Carol, her costume has to do the same thing. That's part of why the classic Ms. Marvel costume is so much fail, because it says nothing about Carol and everything about generic hot chick #2. That's part of my problem with her current outfit, because she's not Captain America, she's not representing old fashioned values... kinda the opposite in some ways... so why is her costume telling the story of a throwback when she's all around so progressive?

I don't think the costume needs a complete overhaul, I think one complete overhaul every 20 years is enough for anyone. I think though, the costume needs some element added to make it emblematic of her story, and not generic symbol girl. They could just make it emblematic of Mar-Vell's identity and life and then she becomes emblematic of Mar-Vell, but even that seems like a bit of a disservice to who Carol is because she's not really all about Mar-Vell, is she?

Last edited:
dude, you are making this more complicated then it needs to be. I explained in as simple as I could make it about my thoughts on what I felt about the costume and why

Wonder Woman's costume is different because her character is different. She's an Amazon warrior princess. Carol Danvers is a respected US Air Force officer. Her wearing a stripperiffic costume like Wonder Woman is as out of place as Jim Rhodes dressing up like Conan the Barbarian.

^Isn't that already true?

Almost, but Phoenix doesn't have skin exposed. Her shoulders and thighs are completely covered up. I'm not sure if the yellow parts on her legs are also actually boots or if it's all part of the same skin suit and joins up with the red (or green in her normal Phoenix costume). It has a cosmic look which would be fitting for Carol.

Since Fox aren't using the classic Phoenix costume and Carol's is close enough to that but showing skin, Marvel could just make it more like Phoenix's outfit and maybe get away with it because it still looks like Ms Marvel.

Maybe it's just me, but I've always wondered what the red wrap around her waist was for.

Maybe it's just me, but I've always wondered what the red wrap around her waist was for.
Its an accessory for decoration. Its a throwback to the original red scarf she had on her first costume. While it doesn't add any useful value, its more practical than the scarf

I5wOgQS.jpg

At least they put it around her waist in costume 2 than around her neck

It's one of the most distinctive things about Carol. I hope they keep it in even if it could seem a little impractical. After all, capes could seem impractical as well.

Scarf or sash, I hope they try to incorporate it into her design. I want to see a more superhero looking Captain Marvel than a muted jumpsuit like Hawkeye.

I agree, I'd like to see the sash included in her costume even though I'm not sure it's ever had a purpose (I know the more recent run made it some sort of special Stark-designed tech, but that's a bit much). They could give it some personal significance to her in the film, like have it be a token from Mar-Vell or someone.

I find it dull that people never design costumes for aesthetic reasons and only practical purposes. Why can't she just have it there because she likes the accessory?

I'm not opposed to that, but if that's the case, I'd like to see her wearing it as an accessory before she gets her costume, so that she's just adding a piece of her own wardrobe to the uniform for a personal touch.

I agree, I'd like to see the sash included in her costume even though I'm not sure it's ever had a purpose (I know the more recent run made it some sort of special Stark-designed tech, but that's a bit much). They could give it some personal significance to her in the film, like have it be a token from Mar-Vell or someone.

Agreed. No need to over think things like this. Keep it simple and personal.

I find it dull that people never design costumes for aesthetic reasons and only practical purposes. Why can't she just have it there because she likes the accessory?

I'm fine with either direction as long as it works in context of the movie.

Its an accessory for decoration. Its a throwback to the original red scarf she had on her first costume. While it doesn't add any useful value, its more practical than the scarf

I5wOgQS.jpg

At least they put it around her waist in costume 2 than around her neck

post-20468-Edna-mode-no-cape-gif-kB4h.gif

And no scarf! :funny:

If they give an in story reason for the sash, all the better. Make it a keepsake from an important mentor or the like. Hell, make it a part of Mar-Vell's outfit that she has on her suit as a reminder of the Kree officer's sacrifice for Earth. You can make it work in a bunch of ways I think.

If they give an in story reason for the sash, all the better. Make it a keepsake from an important mentor or the like. Hell, make it a part of Mar-Vell's outfit that she has on her suit as a reminder of the Kree officer's sacrifice for Earth. You can make it work in a bunch of ways I think.
Have Tracy Burke give it to her before dying of cancer. :halo:

dude, you are making this more complicated then it needs to be. I explained in as simple as I could make it about my thoughts on what I felt about the costume and why

And I'm sharing my thoughts on the costume and why. If you're free to comment on the comprehensive nature of my thoughts being unnecessary, then I'm free to comment on your use of words being incorrect. It doesn't mean I don't like you, I just vehemently disagree.

Almost, but Phoenix doesn't have skin exposed. Her shoulders and thighs are completely covered up. I'm not sure if the yellow parts on her legs are also actually boots or if it's all part of the same skin suit and joins up with the red (or green in her normal Phoenix costume). It has a cosmic look which would be fitting for Carol.

Since Fox aren't using the classic Phoenix costume and Carol's is close enough to that but showing skin, Marvel could just make it more like Phoenix's outfit and maybe get away with it because it still looks like Ms Marvel.

Oh, my bad, I thought we were talking about the current Ms. Marvel thing. Yes, extending the length of the Ms. Marvel costume's legs and arms and changing the color of the body (or gloves/boots) could be very interesting. You could even put a starburst on it. That looks like something... at the end of the day though it's still... weird. As a fetishized Hellfire Club member the boots and gloves make radical sense for Phoenix/Dark Phoenix. I don't know if it syncs up with who Captain Marvel is though going forward.

I think the Ms. Marvel outfit should get some sort of shoutout or lampshade in the film. Not sure what, but something.

People don't only design costumes for practical purposes, but usually, in a good story, the costume is emblematic. If something on it does not represent the story you're telling, then it's less valuable to the story, and thus to the audience. The character has to be into their costume.

This makes all the sense in the world to me. She's carrying on after Mar-Vell, he died heroically, she rips a piece off of his costume (or it rips in her hands as she's trying to save him) and then affixes it to her costume to remember him as she goes to kick butt. Also fun if she is later very protective of the sash if someone so much as touches it. Adding a random aesthetic accessory doesn't seem like Carol's style. She's not putting on the costume for fashion reasons, I hope.

And I'm sharing my thoughts on the costume and why. If you're free to comment on the comprehensive nature of my thoughts being unnecessary, then I'm free to comment on your use of words being incorrect. It doesn't mean I don't like you, I just vehemently disagree.
It came across more like you were ascertaining why I dont like the costume and felt differently about Iron Man when I stressed that your reasons for it had nothing to do with why I felt about my opinion

It came across more like you were ascertaining why I dont like the costume and felt differently about Iron Man when I stressed that your reasons for it had nothing to do with why I felt about my opinion

You said story had nothing to do with Marvel's decision and inspiration, I directly contradicted that, after saying your personal focus was irrelevant to my point. :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"