1.  2022 SuperHeroHype Awards

The 2022 Hype Award Season, hosted by Lily Adler and ComicChick is officially live!

The ballot is here! Voting will end Feb. 4th!

The SuperHeroHype Awards

Cats or Dogs?

Discussion in 'SHH Community Forum' started by Lily Adler, Nov 19, 2021.

?

Cats or Dogs?

1. Cats

51.2%
  2. Dogs

48.8%
  1. Dr. From parts unknown

2. Mondragon My other Avi is Gaucho Mickey

Do either of them actuality even "see" or perceive the illusion the way we do?
    That's a real question.
    Might have the same effect if you turned the mat over. So the (even joking) implication one recognizes it's an illusion while the other doesn't, test intelligence or bravery, might be falsely projecting on to the animal.
    Dogs look like they are just jumping around a foreign object, and dogs are usually encouraged to stay off any new stuff in the house. Unless it's been allowed or designated for them.
    Also oddly the dog's mat is set up in a walking transition(not a hangout space) hallway, and where they can't get around it on either side, except to jump.
    While the cat's is oddly specifically set up in a more hang out and relax living space, (where often everything old or new is surrendered to them by default). Also you don't actually see the cat first approach it, it's already there, so we don't know how long it spent first sniffing and testing around it.
    Both are likley approaching it the way they've been encouraged (or discouraged) And where it is, between what transition rooms is likley more significant than the "illusion" on it.

The whole thing seems exactly like the kind of sneaky deceptive setup and editing, a cat person would do.:funny:

#77 Mondragon, Dec 31, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2022
  3. InCali I got a pUpgrade!

I've had a lot of both cats and dogs and my sense is that, in human terms, dogs are smarter. They each have their own unique type of intelligence.

4. Mondragon My other Avi is Gaucho Mickey

I've had both as well, and yes agree both are smart in their own way, and humans interpret "smartness" based on what they personally want out of, and share with the animal.
    A sheep herder doesn't want from their pov a "stupid" cat easily distracted, or just napping on the job.
    And family home don't want a herding dog from their pov "stupidly" always snapping at the kids heals, barking and trying to coral them.

My first question about what the anneal actually sees , interest me more than the supposed comparative "who is smarter" test.
    Which is funny, but only cause our compulsion to project desired human rational on to their actions, and define them in those terms. As the test somewhat jokingly pretends to do.

Again, I think flipping the mat over to a blank non-illustrated side, would illicit similar results from the animnals, yet have people interpret the same actions , differently.
    And where the mat is placed, (between what transition rooms), is also more significant than what is drawn on it.
    This "test" likely says more about humans, what humans want to see and project onto the animal.

I.e
    This^ is a human projecting on to the animal.
    They are fixated on the illusion, so they think the animal is reacting to that, and not the object itself.
    Without the illusion there, the human would interpret all the same actions differently.

#79 Mondragon, Dec 31, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2022
  5. InCali I got a pUpgrade!

Yeah. That's why I said "in human terms". We tend to think of intelligence in terms of the way we think because, after all, we're smarter than anything AMIRITE? :cwink: Physiologically, dogs have about double the neurons. Whether they utilize them as effectively as cats is another question. Another question is "What is intelligence?"

If we wipe ourselves off the face of the earth, you could make an argument that cockroaches are smarter than we are. Of course, if that happened, it would be a rather pointless argument. :funny:

6. Mondragon My other Avi is Gaucho Mickey

Edited my post further before seeing your reply. I kind of hate the whole vs scenario.
    But agree, I think more telling than the amount, is those "neurons" were developed first naturally and then "bred" to serve very different ends. Especially in specialized dogs. People want different things out of the animal. and the more (or less) they serve that end, people will interpret as inelegance or not.

Cat person: If a pet ignores you and does what it wants it's cause its smart
    Dog person: If a pet ignores you and does what it wants it's cause incapable of learning / dumb.

#81 Mondragon, Dec 31, 2021
    Last edited: May 23, 2022
  7. InCali I got a pUpgrade!

The approximate number of neurons possessed by cats and dogs most likely preceded their domestication. Surely, there has been some effect as some dogs are considered "smarter" than others, but I was speaking in general terms of felines and canines. The fact of the matter is that intelligence may mean different things to different people and without a definition of meaning, it's sort of a moot question. They both can make really awesome pets and great companions and I don't love my "smarter" or "less smart" pets any more or less than the others.....that's where their personality comes in. :hehe:

8. Dr. From parts unknown

By certain measures, some dogs are quite brainy — smarter than cats, smarter than wolves. This fellow, for example, has a rather impressive vocabulary:

9. InCali I got a pUpgrade!

Border Collies are a perfect example of what we've been discussing. When it comes to obedience and work intelligence, they are considered the smartest of dogs. That being said, dogs are "trained" and "bred" with this sort of thing in mind. My dogs, miniature poodles, have a surprisingly large vocabulary for dogs that weren't trained with a specific purpose in mind. My approach was to make sure that if a situation ever arose, they would mind me immediately and without question; which they do. People are constantly telling me how well mannered they are. So, to me, it really comes back to your definition of intelligence. If it means following instructions, then the question becomes (somewhat) answerable. Border Collies, by the way, are wonderful, wonderful creatures who love nothing more than hang out with you and please you. Very charismatic animals.

10. InCali I got a pUpgrade!

BTW, I adore that video.

11. BrollySupersj The only verdict, is vengeance.

I like both. But I do have a slight bias towards cats. They develop such interesting personalities, and their curious nature makes for such hilarious shenanigans.

I had a cat named Phia, short for Philadelphia, since my mom loved the Eagles and already had another cat named Philly. She became my closest friend. From 2009 all through 2014 I lived a very lonely life, I was depressed virtually all the time and didn't care about much. But that cat always put a smile on my face.

She would wake me up in the mornings, eat when I eat. Fall asleep at my feet when gaming for hours. When came home she would fall on her side exposing her belly. Real companionship. I miss her so much. She gave me so much joy in very sad times.

12. Mondragon My other Avi is Gaucho Mickey

I already forgot the name of the third one; Punt, Roach, _____?, and Meow, and I just watched it.:funny:

13. InCali I got a pUpgrade!

Hope things are going much, much better these days. Yeah, I get it. I took this pic maybe a week ago and call it "Animal Rights en La Casa de InCali". It's funny because I'm now sitting in the same room watching Alabama v Cincinnati and the song remains the same with the exception of a slight reorganization of the dogs.

Animal Rights.jpg

14. InCali I got a pUpgrade!

Speaking of personalities, my eldest dog, a miniature poodle named Max, was unbelievably athletic (he's now 16+ years old). I used to take him down to the dog park and his favorite game was to entice the other dogs to chase and catch him. None of them ever could. One time, we were sitting in my living room; he saw or heard a squirrel in the back yard so he ran out and chased it down into a corner the squirrel knew it couldn't escape from so it rolled over on its back. As I walked towards him, Max turned and looked at me like "Well what do I do now?" It reminded me of the Joker scene in TDK where he said he was like a dog chasing a car; he wouldn't know what to do with it if he caught it. Max just turned, went back into the house and the squirrel went on his way. I used to leave little bits of veges, nuts and fruits on top of our pergola in the backyard for our friend whose name was "little squirrel".

15. MissMarvelous Alienated

Nice Shoes...

16. InCali I got a pUpgrade!

Nothing but the best. I got these for about $25 on sale at big five sporting goods. They are known to have the best prices on tennis shoes. They are also about eight years old.

You keep making comments about my shoes. Do you have some kind of foot fetish or something?

17. MissMarvelous Alienated

Ahahahahahahahaha not that I'm aware of, no. But if i always do that it's only because that's the only part of you you share with us.

I'll refrain from making further or future comments on your shoes and/or feet. Sorry.

18. InCali I got a pUpgrade!

I beg to differ. I posted a couple of pics of me and friends at a happy hour. In any case, you can make any comments you like. I know it's all in good fun. I'll keep commenting about your nails when the fit takes me.

I had a late night last night (nothing exciting though :csad: ) and am just now moving around. I note that the animal rights continue; with the dogs in yet another slightly different configuration. This time my toes are under the blanket; since I know you're wondering. :p

MissMarvelous likes this.
  19. MissMarvelous Alienated

That's good to know!

20. Lily Adler Politically Delicious (she/her)

Sees shoes on the bed:

[​IMG]

Prison Mike, Drizzle and InCali like this.
  21. InCali I got a pUpgrade!

:funny:

At least my shoes aren't on the sheets and I'm a lot choosier where I walk than the dogs are. :hehe:

22. Lily Adler Politically Delicious (she/her)

I'm too OCD about shoes on the sofa or bed. I hate walking barefoot as well and choose flip flops or slippers around my house. :funny:

23. InCali I got a pUpgrade!

My wife is sorta like that. She's a total germaphobe and it took me ages to get her to agree to allow the dogs on the bed. She insists, however, on bathing them regularly and washes the bedding way more than I would. I figure changing the sheets every other week is fine as long as you shower regularly. I also walk around outside with no shoes on occasion; usually when it's raining because it feels good on my feet, but wear flops too. I almost invite bacteria and never get ill from stuff like that. I figure it's good for your immune system. LOL

24. MissMarvelous Alienated

It is.

25. InCali I got a pUpgrade!

You just wanted to read a post about my feet. You're not fooling anyone. :p

It's no wonder that cats and dogs can wake up in a nanosecond. They sleep like 18 hours a day. :yay: