CBS is Bringing MacGyver Back to Television

Hunter Rider

Ronin
Staff member
Reaction score
http://www.comingsoon.net/tv/news/619149-cbs-is-bringing-macgyver-back-to-television

Following today’s Lethal Weapon news, and the recent The A-Team reboot update, comes even more reboot news: The Hollywood Reporter says that CBS is bringing MacGyver back to television. The original series starred Richard Dean Anderson and ran from 1985 to 1992 on ABC.

According to THR, the new take is described as “a reimagining of the television series of the same name, following a 20-something MacGyver as he gets recruited into a clandestine organization where he uses his knack for solving problems in unconventional ways to help prevent disasters from happening.”

“NCIS: Los Angeles'” R. Scott Gemmill will write the script and executive produce the CBS Television Studios drama. Henry Winkler will again executive produce alongside Michael Clear. James Wan (Furious 7, upcoming Aquaman) is also attached to executive produce and direct the potential pilot. Wan was attached in 2012 to direct New Line’s big screen take on the series, though that project did not move forward.

The original series featured Richard Dean Anderson as an incredibly resourceful secret agent for the Phoenix Foundation who frequently would escape from dangerous situations with ingenious and lightning-quick engineering trickery.
Sort of like a prequel then :hmm

What's with all the remakes of 80s shows and movies? Seems they're having a hard time coming up with original ideas so are recycling shows and hope their name attracts a few people.

I for one am excited about this and my number one choice for the new Macgyver

Philip Winchester (was the lead in The Player till it got canceled)

I think it could work.

Loved the original MacGyver series growing up so hopefully Richard Dean Anderson will be given a role in the remake show. Hope they put it on a Saturday night since there are other great shows that I watch throughout the week already.

I for one am excited about this and my number one choice for the new Macgyver

Philip Winchester (was the lead in The Player till it got canceled)

I think it could work.

Good choice. :up:

i didn't think i would like the remake of Hawaii five o now i like it a lot do you know what macgyver's first name is? his first name is angus!!

I almost don't want to start this thread as I fear everyone will just complain and I am not going to lie some of the descriptions seem well odd and this whole thing feels like a mix of Jason Bourne and Iron man...

and this could be some fan with an over active imagination pulling our leg but my gut says this is legit.

Here are the descriptions and my thoughts below keep in mind I will still see this show with an open mind and I might love it.. I might hate it but hey I gave Gotham 3 episodes before I turned in the towel on that show so I will at least give three to MacGyver with that said

Angus MacGyver - 25 years old. A resourceful yet troubled young man. He joined the army and eventually became a bomb tech to make money to pay off his degree, however he was captured by the Mazari. After being saved he was deemed an American Hero, but found a lot of his memories blacked out. Including how he was captured and what happened to the other prisoners. As he tries to return to normal life, he begins to see the Mazari everywhere...but no one will believe him.

Lincoln - A 55 year old war vet who doesn't miss a thing. He believes that the Mazari really are on American soil. His sister leads a group, an unofficial department of Homeland Security that investigates these conspiracies that no one believes in and stops them before the public finds out. Was in the army with MacGyver's father and tried multiple times to rescue him from the Mazari without success.

Mickey - 25 years old, MacGyver's high school sweetheart. Very pretty and smart. Dating Gunner. Assists Macgyver with readjusting to civilian life.

Gunner - 25 years old, MacGyver's best friend from high school. Dating Mickey. While Macgyver was captured he pretty much took over his former life. Works as handy man and dreamed of becoming an American Hero.

Zwickey & O'Neill - Prisoners MacGyver met while captured by the Mazari. They have yet to be rescued, a fact which still haunts MacGyver.

and here is the link http://www.spoilertv.com/2016/02/macgyver-...scriptions.html

as well as a link to the article I read

http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/macgyver...s-reboot-pilot/

A few thoughts I feel I need to point out to everyone before I give my thoughts

1. Characters change all the time Mac's favorite sport in the pilot was baseball it didn't become hockey till a few episodes later. He was also part of the big brother program and lived in an observarotry all of this was completely dropped by episode 2.. Also all of the side characters in the pilot vanished completely by episode 2 and Peter Thorton wasn't introduced till Nightmares which was the 11th episode and Jack Dalton wasn't introduced till the second season so lets not panic just yet... but lets talk about some of the obvious cons and some of the pros of this bit of info.

Cons (get the negative out of the way)

the secondary cast (Mickey Gunner Zwickey Oneil and possibly even Lincoln) all seem just like stereotypical action star cliché side characters. and Cliche's that are kind of done to death. Sure Mac had like 110 old college girlfriends that showed up throughout the series (jeez how many girls did he date) and his High School sweetheart was in a first season episode (the one with freddy kruger star Robert Englund can't remember the episode or her name) but I dunno based on the character descriptions they all seem a little one note.

Breaking it down a little further Gunner seems basically pointless and I can't see anywhere for him to go

Mickey could be intriguing (in sort of a Sylvia trench from Dr no and From Russia with love way kind of way) but apart from giving mac someone to lust after/bang She doesn't bring in too many story elements, Unless of course she runs the local youth center and like the original the new MacGyver will deal with threats like terrorism etc and local issues..

Zwickey & O'Neill... We're going with the haunted hero cliché really really Wan and I championed you. Again I feel these will be pilot only characters so there is no point in even mentioning them but these two and the haunted hero cliché SCREAMS lets steal from Arrow which ok I liked the first two seasons of Arrow..

Lincoln... the whole MacGyver's dad knew him bugs me slightly but if it isn't mentioned too much I don't care

MacGyver: oh boy where do I begin ... I am focusing on cons here and three things kind of annoy me and one is actually technically cannon

1. Mac as part of the bomb disposal unit I hated it when they added that to the character in the original show and guess what I still do. Mac seems like the last person who would join the army no matter what finchial status he was in

2. Amnesia really again... oh boy

3. American hero thing also doesn't sit right with me Mac was always the person who didn't like the spot light but as long as this is down played...

Pros (and there are a few of them)

over all this feel like it could be very good depending on who they get to play the individual parts but lets go through the pros of everything

Mickey: she could become a souped up version of mike from the original show (except where in the show Mike and mac never slept together here it's kind of obvious they did) if they get a stong actress to play her she could become relatively interesting

Lincoln: I like that he believes MacGyver I also love that he works in an organization that is a branch off homeland security that makes sure threats don't become active on US Soil. Again I don't see him replacing Thorton (and in deed I think Peter will be brought in eventually) but I like that he trust Mac and has a fatherly relationship with him.

the other three characters could be ok depending on how much the focus is on them and what their roles are outside of the pilot (for example if none of them are ever seen or mentioned again that would be perfect)

Lets talk about the new terrorist organization Mac wll be facing before we hit on MacGyver himself

Mazari: interesting name and it comes from Pakistanian history but is non descript enough to mean any terrorist organization. I like it A LOT better then what Clay was facing (the lord people liberation front of Africa I believe was the name) I also like that they are facing here and abroad. again I think other threats will be used but in terms of first season I am ok with this considering the first season Mac took on a lot of communists it makes sense honestly

MacGyver: I don't hate the character description and mac still feel well like mac in spite of what I said above. I like that he is still resourceful and the show has him working with Lincoln to stop the Mazari. he still reads essentially like Mac but with a whole amnesia/haunted hero bit added in that isn't needed and should this go a few season I would hope is dropped by season 2 at the latest.

over all I am still a mixture of emition as I was in October

am I Scared this will suck. Absolutly
Am I hopefull it will be amazing? Yeah you bet
Am I nervous overall? Yeah

to me this could be amazing or it could suck but Curious to see how everyone else feels (though I can almost put money down 95% of the people here will hate it) please read through this with open minds and remember even in the original show Mac changed a lot over the first two seasons (including elements appearing and disappearing from continuity) so all this could change. A lot of this though feels like the NCIS's writers fingerprints just my feeling anyways.

I wonder if he will be donning the mullet.

Huh. That's interesting.

I can watch MacGyver anytime I want because I own all 7 seasons and the 2 tv movies on DVD. I've had crush on MacGyver since I first saw it when I was younger back in the late 80s and the 90s. Now I'm 32 years old and I'm in love with MacGyver.

It sounds like the show is going to be a midseason replacement since it seems they're doing a bunch of recasting and retooling of the show. The only people that are for sure in the show are Till and George Eads.

Trailer
[YT]Gt8E6X6-744[/YT]

Till needs a damn haircut.

Wow when I first heard about this via the first trailer I thought the Bull trailer was better!

Now I've read this maybe there is hope for this, but why a prequel?

The hair is really distracting.

Meh... I'll give it a shot just for the namesake. Just not feeling it. And for the love of God give him a haircut. He better never sport a manbun. 😡

Trailer did nothing for me and the story doesn't even happen in the 80' but modern day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"