CBS is Bringing MacGyver Back to Television

That Hawaii 5-0 crossover turned out to be just a brief reference.

Anyhow I have been watching the original MacGyver series and I did not remember it being so preachy and moralising. Right from the start it was there but I'm deep into season six (out of seven and two tv movies) with the show only getting deeper into it and there is a noticable decrease in his making stuff out of junk laying around skills.

He still makes things and goes on missions but it really felt like the show was trying to teach at the audience than it was to entertain. Sometime around season 3-4 he just quits going to other countries or stopping terrorists or doing the "big things" like that and instead helps the local people or finds himself in local situations with only the occasional big international thing to handle. They also ditched Pete, Penny and a lot of the recurring characters in favor of this.

At times it gets way too heavy-handed and blunt which is why so far I like how the new series has gone. They have stayed true to the spirit of MacGyver without hitting you over the head with some moral tale every episode.

Anyhow I have been watching the original MacGyver series and I did not remember it being so preachy and moralising. Right from the start it was there but I'm deep into season six (out of seven and two tv movies) with the show only getting deeper into it and there is a noticable decrease in his making stuff out of junk laying around skills.

He still makes things and goes on missions but it really felt like the show was trying to teach at the audience than it was to entertain. Sometime around season 3-4 he just quits going to other countries or stopping terrorists or doing the "big things" like that and instead helps the local people or finds himself in local situations with only the occasional big international thing to handle. They also ditched Pete, Penny and a lot of the recurring characters in favor of this.

At times it gets way too heavy-handed and blunt which is why so far I like how the new series has gone. They have stayed true to the spirit of MacGyver without hitting you over the head with some moral tale every episode.
they sorta did the same thing with NCIS LA when Sam brought callen along cause it had to do with Callen family feud with comenscu people. and only Danno and the other's met sam and his team.

But magarit wasn't anywhere to be scene.

Apparently the actor for Hawaii five 0 was in rehab in real life . but they later wrote in show he was looking into that whoa fat connection between his mother that criminal .

it's very weird that when any of Magarits buddies from his days when he was a seal team member never see him when they come to town case or not.

The "preachiness" was relatively sporadic in the early seasons, but almost non-existent in the first season. The second season had episodes dealing with endangered species and delinquent teens, but it was kind of an occasional thing, then it got amped up in the third season with more episodes dealing with different types of pollution and conservation of the environment. I feel like season 4 is where it really became prevalent, with the introduction of the Challengers Club and more often than not, MacGyver was dealing with environmental issues and troubled teens than secret agent stuff.

In a sense, the switch from the DXS to the Phoenix Foundation coincided with this change in focus, since the DXS was a fictional intelligence organization(akin to the CIA) whereas Phoenix usually dealt with the development of new technologies and environmental problems, but early on still had MacGyver acting as a government agent, like in the season 3 episode where he goes into East Germany to retrieve technology out of a downed experimental plane before the Soviets could get their hands on it. By then, these sorts of missions were becoming the exception to the rule.

I always felt like the increasing lack of emphasis on the MacGyverisms and the increased emphasis on "very special episode" type plots was a reaction to concerned parents who didn't want their kids trying to mimic MacGyver and getting themselves blown up or electrocuted.

Last edited:
Yep, you could really gauge the rate of "think of the children and environment" ramping up in the 80's through the early 90's by the seasons of MacGyver that covered most of the decade.

The show pulling back on MacGyver doing MacGyvering makes sense if you think that children would actually try to do that but it went too far. You took the core of the character away when you turned him from "super improvisation agent" to "super worried about social issues guy" instead.

I'm only starting to play catch-up and just finished watching Patty Thornton exposed as the mole. I do hope she comes back because 'Pete' was such an integral part of the original series. I used to watch the original series as a kid and I can't say I remember much except for Teri Hatcher as Penny Parker not to mention Bruce McGill as Jack Dalton, so it was interesting to see Jack as a regular right from the beginning. I do like what George Eads has brought to the character so far, so no drama for the meantime. I also had to refamiliarise myself with other characters such as Murdoc which I thought should have been memorable but hey - maybe I don't remember much of the show at all. :p

Looking forward to the Hawaii Five-0 crossover. Somebody mentioned Danny visiting the NCIS LA crew earlier in the series. I also remember that Kenzie chick cameoing earlier in Five-0 with Terry O'Quinn's character and McGarrett mentioning how he and Sam (LL Cool J) served together as Navy Seals. I'd like to see the two of them on screen later at some point. I'm sure it's not too late. :)

And it's taken a while to accept the Riley character myself, so I'm still on the fence with her. Tristan Mays is a pretty girl but I do think her acting needs some work. And I like her change in hairstyle too btw. Okay, she's not so bad. ;)

Last edited:
I was holding out hope that Pete Thornton still exists somewhere and could eventually become their new boss. Either he could be a relative of Patricia or having the same surname is just a coincidence. I mean, literally the only thing that Patricia had in common with Pete is the surname and being MacGyver's boss at DXS/Phoenix.

I'm only starting to play catch-up and just finished watching Patty Thornton exposed as the mole. I do hope she comes back because 'Pete' was such an integral part of the original series. I used to watch the original series as a kid and I can't say I remember much except for Teri Hatcher as Penny Parker not to mention Bruce McGill as Jack Dalton, so it was interesting to see Jack as a regular right from the beginning. I do like what George Eads has brought to the character so far, so no drama for the meantime. I also had to refamiliarise myself with other characters such as Murdoc which I thought should have been memorable but hey - maybe I don't remember much of the show at all. :p

Looking forward to the Hawaii Five-0 crossover. Somebody mentioned Danny visiting the NCIS LA crew earlier in the series. I also remember that Kenzie chick cameoing earlier in Five-0 with Terry O'Quinn's character and McGarrett mentioning how he and Sam (LL Cool J) served together as Navy Seals. I'd like to see the two of them on screen later at some point. I'm sure it's not too late. :)

And it's taken a while to accept the Riley character myself, so I'm still on the fence with her. Tristan Mays is a pretty girl but I do think her acting needs some work. And I like her change in hairstyle too btw. Okay, she's not so bad. ;)

Yeah the actress playing Riley is great on the eyes. Yeah, that's it.

Almost got my wish last night that Bozer would die. So close.

One episode to go this season. Still holding out hope that Thornton returns. The show runner said he was hoping for her return before season's end.

Edit. That was the season finale.

Last edited:
Yeah the actress playing Riley is great on the eyes. Yeah, that's it.

Almost got my wish last night that Bozer would die. So close.

One episode to go this season. Still holding out hope that Thornton returns. The show runner said he was hoping for her return before season's end.

Just starting on the episode where they were playing softball and Riley's gratuitous exposure was bloody ridiculous lol.

Anyway, the season has improved and while I'm liking Maddy the replacement, Thornton has to reappear at some point. Liked the Five-0 crossover episode too. As for Bowzer, I don't mind him really. Just glad that he's finally stopped pining over Riley.

What I appreciate about this MacGyver reboot is it brought Tristin Mays to my screen.

What I appreciate about this MacGyver reboot is it brought Tristin Mays to my screen.

By far the best thing about that lousy tv show.
Bozer might be the most obnoxious character in tv history.
Pointless and dull....the Jar Jar Binks of tv shows.

I still don't get why i watch that crap, but, i'm nothing if not dedicated. I'll watch it till is over.

I don't know what they were thinking adding that charisma vortex blond chick to the cast. :loco:

I don't know what they were thinking adding that charisma vortex blond chick to the cast. :loco:
Her accent (seemed to be going between Australian and some weird American-esque one) was really throwing me off.

Her accent (seemed to be going between Australian and some weird American-esque one) was really throwing me off.
well I think they wanted to add a new female dynamic in the field (NCIS L.a. is doing the same thing with two female addition's to their show this year as well) and Ryle was traumatized when their HQ was attacked so she'd likely freeze up with Murdock in the field and with his psycho friends . and Amy acker has her own show right now so.

And they wanted someone to be play off Jack and not have the same relationship he had with Amy Acker's character. where he has a thing for her and they respect each other. they wanted competitivee thing . as so she'll snark at him as much as ryle does not to the same degree and they made clear that jack not over clever ether.

some certain languages he's not good at like telling french from spanish . So she'll do most of the work like interrogation with out having to do the bone headed I'll beat you up to do it( get intell ) that arrow has been doing poorly in.

And that stuff since they pushed jack to be there as the musle and jokes maker. him as an under cover or deep cover worker isn't fully buyable cause of how they made him inthe show. which is a shame

they got that girl from the michel bay transformer movies and she is supposed to befrom down under. I guess the actress has been in hollywood too long & she starting to sound more american sounding . whichdoes happen with some people in real life.

Last edited:
This weeks ep was basically a rip off of the Burj Khalifa part of Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol, and it was fun. Mac's making eyes at the new blond robot they added but dude, you've been working with Riley for a year, she's a stone cold Fox, what's up with that!? :oldrazz:

Tristin-1.jpg

Tristin-2cbdae4d4f4269f66.jpg

Tristin-3.jpg

Tristin-4.jpg

Tristin-5.jpg

Tristin-6.jpg

Tristin-7.jpg

Tristin-8.jpg

This weeks ep wasn't very good bar the side plot but last weeks ep was one of the series best, a Road Warrior riff that focused on the dynamic between Mac and Riley.

This weeks ep wasn't very good bar the side plot but last weeks ep was one of the series best, a Road Warrior riff that focused on the dynamic between Mac and Riley.
Besides the Mac/Jack relationship, I feel the Mac/Riley combo is one of the show's best features.

Besides the Mac/Jack relationship, I feel the Mac/Riley combo is one of the show's best features.

Yeah, I'd like to see more eps with Mac and Riley teaming up, put Jack with Bozer in a few at the same time to mix things up a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"