CC vs Ads!

Discussion in 'Tech & Support' started by ComicChick, Sep 13, 2014.

1. Blackman

Blackman C'mon Son

Yeah it pops back up if you refresh 2-4 times.
    But that's still very annoying. Especially when it happens multiple times in a day. I just stepped away for 10 mins from my comp and I got it again after I already got it last hour

2. JimThompson

JimThompson Registered

I would actually pay a small monthly fee to kill off ads AND help keep the site going. It is a shame the option is not offered.

Teelie likes this.
  3. Blackman

Blackman C'mon Son

So i guess it's never going to change and we're going to either
    1) turn off ad blocker for trashy and malware filled ads
    2) Refresh the page 4-5 times before we can use the site?

Lencho01, Milk Tray Guy and B like this.
  4. Silvermoon

Silvermoon Made To Be Ruled

Though I might be jinxing myself, using the "Block Element" option of my ad blocker on my desktop browser, I was able to stop the anti-adblock pop up (it's been what, a couple months now, and I haven't gotten it since blocking the elements - I was then able to copy the element urls from my desktop filter list and send them to my phone so I could input them in my mobile app's custom filter list and it's been working fine there too... no issues). I believe there were a total of 3 elements. I believe the 1st two elements were easy/obvious to block as they were part of the pop up window... the 3rd had to wait for it to try and pop up again and was essentially 'the background'.

5. Milk Tray Guy

Milk Tray Guy 70s Man of Action

It's ridiculous. There must be somebody who can make the decision to get rid of it, surely.

6. Blackman

Blackman C'mon Son

I mean I get why have it. But the 4-5 refreshes is stupid

7. B

B [insert witty comment]

I've stopped visiting the site on my phone almost completely because the ads are so appallingly intrusive & misleading clickbait.

The forum rules (which I can no longer find for some reason) tend to try to keep the forums relatively family friendly & inviting to a younger generation, it's then ironic to have such misleading junk running as adverts. There is one that comes up about people being born after 1995 are entitled to a large sum of cash.. only reason I didn't click on it is because I was born before 95'.. :grin:

For real though, I've probably said it in this thread before, I've no problem supporting the site & turning an adblocker off to run a few ads but the reason I have adblocker is to avoid the very ads that this site is now runs, so it will be staying firmly on as long as the current crop of misleading junk is still running.

SPO2 Dalisay and Milk Tray Guy like this.
  8. ComicChick

ComicChick I Work Too Much

you do not have to turn off the adblocker to view the site. i have not turned off mine.

9. Blackman

Blackman C'mon Son

I might've missed it, but no one said that you need to turn off ad blocker to turn off the site. We said it's annoying to have to refresh 4-5 times. Which isn't during one session. But If I leave and come back, almost always I have to do the same thing and refresh 4-5 times. And if it's at work, where I'm on the site a lot intermittedly, it's very annoying. If it was 1 time? Cool. But 4-5 times of refreshing?

MurkeNyou likes this.
  10. ComicChick

ComicChick I Work Too Much

i haven't experienced that issue yet, but i do report them when you all post about them. could yall start sharing which threads are giving you the most issues? there may be some issues that the techs can check into

11. Blackman

Blackman C'mon Son

It happens mostly on the main page