CC vs Ads!

Yeah it pops back up if you refresh 2-4 times.
But that's still very annoying. Especially when it happens multiple times in a day. I just stepped away for 10 mins from my comp and I got it again after I already got it last hour

I would actually pay a small monthly fee to kill off ads AND help keep the site going. It is a shame the option is not offered.

So i guess it's never going to change and we're going to either
1) turn off ad blocker for trashy and malware filled ads
2) Refresh the page 4-5 times before we can use the site?

Though I might be jinxing myself, using the "Block Element" option of my ad blocker on my desktop browser, I was able to stop the anti-adblock pop up (it's been what, a couple months now, and I haven't gotten it since blocking the elements - I was then able to copy the element urls from my desktop filter list and send them to my phone so I could input them in my mobile app's custom filter list and it's been working fine there too... no issues). I believe there were a total of 3 elements. I believe the 1st two elements were easy/obvious to block as they were part of the pop up window... the 3rd had to wait for it to try and pop up again and was essentially 'the background'.

It's ridiculous. There must be somebody who can make the decision to get rid of it, surely.

I mean I get why have it. But the 4-5 refreshes is stupid

I've stopped visiting the site on my phone almost completely because the ads are so appallingly intrusive & misleading clickbait.

The forum rules (which I can no longer find for some reason) tend to try to keep the forums relatively family friendly & inviting to a younger generation, it's then ironic to have such misleading junk running as adverts. There is one that comes up about people being born after 1995 are entitled to a large sum of cash.. only reason I didn't click on it is because I was born before 95'.. :grin:

For real though, I've probably said it in this thread before, I've no problem supporting the site & turning an adblocker off to run a few ads but the reason I have adblocker is to avoid the very ads that this site is now runs, so it will be staying firmly on as long as the current crop of misleading junk is still running.

you do not have to turn off the adblocker to view the site. i have not turned off mine.

I might've missed it, but no one said that you need to turn off ad blocker to turn off the site. We said it's annoying to have to refresh 4-5 times. Which isn't during one session. But If I leave and come back, almost always I have to do the same thing and refresh 4-5 times. And if it's at work, where I'm on the site a lot intermittedly, it's very annoying. If it was 1 time? Cool. But 4-5 times of refreshing?

i haven't experienced that issue yet, but i do report them when you all post about them. could yall start sharing which threads are giving you the most issues? there may be some issues that the techs can check into

These info links pop up ads are really frustrating. They pop with every page, or jump to different forums, goddamn. What can I do if I'm on mobile?

And again I guess that the "turn off ad blocker" prompt will never stop...

Am I going to have to answer this privacy consent thing for adverts everytime I load up a new page unless I 'accept all'?

After 3 or 4 times of asking & me rejecting all the novelty has worn off & it's already old.

I've found that has started appearing as well both on my laptop and phone. It is very annoying. Why has that suddenly started appearing?

I have the same issue.
Every single page I have to again confirm my choices with regards to storing data and sharing with partners. That means that if I want to read the last two pages of a thread in the Marvel films subformum I have to click twice to confirm on the main page, again twice when I go to the Marvel films subforum, again twice when I go to the thread and again twice when I go to the next page in the thread. And everytime I want to view an additional page of thread I have a minimum of two additional clicks before I can continue.
Would very much like to get rid of this.

Screenshots?
I’ve never had it ask me this before. I’ll send it up

Screenshots?
I’ve never had it ask me this before. I’ll send it up

Screenshot 2021-02-03 235938CC.png

Screenshot 2021-02-04 000006CC.png

EDIT - It asks this, every single time you click on a new page in the forum, I suspect it will only stop asking, once I hit accept all.

If you're subject to GDPR (EU - General Data Protection Regulation) you must consent to everything it requests or it will keep popping up.

how would one know if they are subject to it?

If you're subject to GDPR (EU - General Data Protection Regulation) you must consent to everything it requests or it will keep popping up.
Is it supposed to pop up on every page though? It remembers what I have (not) consented to previously, so surely it would not need to ask me to give up my personal data on every single subpage of the forum? I haven't seen data storage requests this intrusive on any other website. It's actually making the site near-unusable.

Reactions: B
That's new. I still get the old whitelist the site request.

I get that, but on the main website with the news articles. It's nowhere near as intrusive, it asks you once & you either whitelist or continue & remembers your answer at least in between pages per visit.

Surely it shouldn't be working as it currently is though? It's asked for consent to store/share data, personalise ads etc & I've declined, then saved my answer(s). Surely it shouldn't be then asking the same question again the next time I try & load up the next page in the forum.

As @SirStrangefolk has rightly pointed out, I've never seen any data requests so intrusive on any other website & basically having the repeated requests on every page load-up, despite already having declined, is making the forums unusable.

are any of you all on European IPs? apparently it only shows up on them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"