CC vs Ads!

Discussion in 'Tech & Support' started by ComicChick, Sep 13, 2014.

1. B [insert witty comment]

Yes as I'm from the UK.

I've found a workaround at least for Chrome users if you'd like me to post?

2. ComicChick I Work Too Much

i've no issues with it. go for it

3. B [insert witty comment]

I only asked because it involves actively asking people to install an adblocker & I don't really know how the sites moderators & administrators generally feel about that since the ads help keep the site operating no doubt.. even though I'm sure the majority use them anyways.

I realise I also forgot to mention that when I asked. :grin:

If there's any issue just delete the post or edit the bit out below but it's what I've done.

Workaround (for Chrome users) for anyone else that's suffering from these intolerable data requests popping up for every page you try to load pictured in the quoted post above -
    • Visit the Google Chrome Web Store in your browser
    • Search for & add AdBlock extension to your browser (I'm not sure if other forms of ad blockers work, but the one called AdBlock definitely does)
    • Then once it's been added to your browser, visit the forums, when the data request pops up, right click on the request, scroll down to AdBlock & manually block the ad by adjusting the slider until you basically can't see any of it. In my case I'd to drag the slider completely to the right, then hit block.
    Job done :up:

4. SirStrangefolk Champion of Life

I'm not clicking "accept all" because I don't want to share all my data or be tracked. I'm also not using Google Chrome for the exact same reason... Guess I'll just suffer for now and hope I'll find a good solution.

5. ComicChick I Work Too Much

i use FireFox and have not seen any of those pop-ups, but i also am US-based and use Ad-Block Plus

6. SirStrangefolk Champion of Life

Yeah, I'm currently using Firefox with ABP as well, but I'm using an EU IP so that'll be it. It says it's from Admiral's privacy & consent manager that the site uses so maybe it could be checked with them if/how it can be made to ask this once per site visit or something like that instead of on every page? Because I don't think it's supposed to work like this.

7. The Infernal Mky Mk

I'm getting the same on my mobile's default browser. Bit of a pain navigating past it for each and every page you visit recently.

Previous to that I was only getting the request to disable adblocker once per visit, which I was happy to oblige since I didn't see many ads regardless.

8. ComicChick I Work Too Much

from what i've gathered from the Techies so far is that it's a EUR thing and it might be out of our hands.
    it's still being discussed and researched i assure you, and i will pass on any information that i can to help as it is given to us

9. Buffaloed Administrator

I put a call in to Admiral. I'm sure it's not working as intended. They probably need to change a setting.

10. BobJM Uncle Charlie

This new The Walking Dead/AMC+ ad is totally disrupting my mobile view; and still encompasses the whole screen when I revert to Desktop view. Just an FYI; wonder if anyone else is experiencing that?

Professor S and Primal Slayer like this.
  11. Hotwire Dealin' W/ Demons

Why is the mobile version suddenly bombarded with ads? They make the site almost unusable!

12. BobJM Uncle Charlie

It's not just the mobile version anymore--I'm encountering ads in practically every blank space on the desktop page, and its continuing to cause the page to crash.

Daltonio likes this.
  13. ComicChick I Work Too Much

highers ups have been informed.

as always, keep sharing your issues and if you have links, screenshots etc, the more help the better

heatvision38 likes this.
  14. The Infernal Mky Mk

Has there been any update on the admiral issue? Still getting it on every page.

15. Marvolo Registered

I'm getting full page ads repeatedly and they are becoming more frequent. Started about a week ago. I'm having to refresh each page over and over just to see a thread. One of the ads is a Cremo liquor ad. Seems like a problem for a forum with members below the age of 18.

16. Lily Adler Politically Delicious (P) (she/her/hers)

Screenshots?

17. Marvolo Registered

That Cremo thing isn't liquor. Its deodorant.

Here is one of the ads on my phone. I was typing a post in the godzilla vs Kong thread when it filled my screen.
    Screenshot_20210311-061047_Chrome.jpg

Edit: Happened again after I made this post.

18. BobJM Uncle Charlie

Still encountering this—for me, it’s still The Walking Dead advert that’s causing the issue. No “x” to remove it, and I need to toggle to desktop view to avoid & actually see the thread. However, that’s the trade off.

I tried attaching a screenshot, by my iPhone 7 screeenshot image is too big to upload.

19. Primal Slayer Let the Siren scream

Same, and it just stays there. Had to go to desktop mode which is huge to navigate.

20. ComicChick I Work Too Much

just sent these up. thanks yall

Lily Adler likes this.
  21. MissMarvelous Alienated

This is the first time that happened, I'm using my cellphone -as most of the times- and whenever I change the window (from home page to an specific thread) an ad appears and closes almost immediately. It's a video, I can see the X button over corner (up/right) but never get to press it.

22. Primal Slayer Let the Siren scream

the ad is back and wont let me scroll past it at all on my cell

23. Hellion Rewriting my 5th book

I'm a little late on this but at least for me, the last few days the mobile view is unusable.
    The ad (usually The Walking Dead) takes up the entire page.
    Can't close/minimize the ad, etc.

BobJM likes this.
  24. Persona Registered

Yeah, same here, totally unusable on my Android phone the past week or so. Walking Dead ad and then some other product. Takes up whole screen and I can't do anything without it coming up. Then it just says "scroll for more" but no matter what I do, I can't get past it at all, I have to back out of it on my mobile browser and then I might get a glimpse of the thread again for a couple seconds before another one pops up again. Had to get on my laptop to post this.

I'm sorry, I can respect the site needing to make money, but these ads are really getting out of control.

25. ComicChick I Work Too Much

i'm sorry you're having difficulty with the ads. multiple mods have chimed in to report these to support and we are waiting to hear back.

B, Hellion and Kahran Ramsus like this.