Spyware disguised as antivirus software

TheCorpulent1

SHAZAM!
Reaction score
We had a scare with this a few months ago. I and a couple other posters got hit by something called "Antivirus XP," which was spyware that installed itself off of one of the ads in the Hype's rotation. Well, it looks like there's another version now. I don't remember the name of this one, but it's the same MO: visit a site with whatever's carrying the spyware in its ad rotation, it downloads onto your system, you get a popup telling you your computer's under attack by a virus, and pretty much clicking anything related to the program will just make it worse.

I didn't get it from the Hype this time--I'm pretty sure it was an ad over at GamesRadar's website--but I just wanted to give everyone a heads-up to be careful about it. My IT guy at work had to re-image my computer to get rid of it because not even MalwareBytes was detecting it. Even if it did, the program would close any windows you tried to open to deal with it, be it the Task Manager to shut stuff down or other windows within the spyware scanner or anything. It sucked.

People with AdBlock Plus on Firefox should be fine. It hit me at work (again) where they're still using IE without any pop-up blockers. :doh:

It's call scareware

Those that have pop up blockers and FF are usually safe

ah no wonder the computer at work got that virus a month ago

:argh: Your IT guy betta fix it

Oh I have gotten this virus before. It's a nasty little thing. I have Norton 360 now so hopefully everything should be okay.

I just got hit by AV Security Suite, luckily I managed to have Malwarebytes and rkill get rid of it after two tries.

I just got hit with it again. I think the Hype may be the cause of it.

I really hope it's not. Otherwise I'll have to stay away from the Hype at work. :csad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"