Apocalypse Certified Fresh or Fresh or Rotten? The ROTTEN TOMATOES Thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, this is what I posted earlier. But I'll add my own score here for the sake of this thread's topic:

7/10

Overall...I really, really liked it. So many great things were done:

1.) The classic opening sequence with the standard X-Men score fare--sent chills down my spine
2.) The actors are soooooo good with what they're given
3.) It was nice seeing a different villain than Magneto for once
4.) Great balance of humor and action
5.) I was THRILLED with the arrivals of the new Scott, Jean and Storm
6.) And speaking of Jean....something she did left me speechless and our entire audience cheering

But sadly...there was a LOT wrong with this film and I can see why the critics are hammering it so badly. As a diehard X-Men fan I try to look at things in an unbiased way and yes...the reviews are right about a number of things. There were many, MANY missed opportunities, especially with a number of the characters. There were many times where I felt the film was about to embark on sheer greatness but it kept getting in its own way.

It is also clear that FOX is feeling the pressure of Marvel Studios' success: this film was trying to be Avengers in terms of style and that's just not what Bryan Singer is made of. It's not his gift. But I applaud Bryan for trying. It was refreshing to see an effort to break free of the "realistic" X-Men approach he started 16 years ago.

For the umpteenth time: get rid of that damn Kinberg. :rant:

I really dont want the Xmen films trying to be like the Avengers films. Ill take DOFP and FC over Avengers 1 & 2 most days. I greatly appreciate the differences between the Xmen franchise and the MCU. I appreciate the tone and style Singer went with 16 years ago. I appreciate it even more now that Marvel Studios has pretty much dominatrd the superhero market. The Fox Xmen films more than ever are a breath of fresh air. A palate cleanser. Too much of the same thing and the senses grow deadened to it. You need to change it up occasionally. Get a different flavor. The Fox Xmen films offer that.

If Fox's Xmen films are going to become lesser MCU clones then they might as well sell the rights back to Marvel so they can suck the characters into that MCU black hole.

Dont get me wrong. I like the MCU but I don't want the Xmen being slaves to Fiege's "greater plan". I dont want the xmen films being just another mcu film. I dont want tony stark getting a chunk of screen time in xmen films. And I deinitely don't want the Xmen getting tied up in the MCU's ongoing story.

Last edited:
I really dont want the Xmen films trying to be like the Avengers films. Ill take DOFP and FC over Avengers 1 & 2 most days. I greatly appreciate the differences between the Xmen franchise and the MCU. I appreciate the tone and style Singer went with 16 years ago. I appreciate it even more now that Marvel Studios has pretty much dominatrd the market. The Fox Xmen films more than ever are a breath of fresh air. A palate cleanser. Too much of the same thing and the senses grow deadened to it. You need to change it up occasionally. Get a different flavor. The Fox Xmen films offer that.

If Fox's Xmen films are going to become lesser MCU clones then they might as well sell the rights back to Marvel so they can suck the characters into that MCU black hole.

Dont get me wrong. I like the MCU but I don't want the Xmen being slaves to Fiege's "greater plan". I dont want the xmen films being just another mcu film. I dont want tony stark getting a chunk of screen time in xmen films. And I deinitely don't want the Xmen getting tied up in the MCU's ongoing story.

I agree.

also I feel Apocalypse was Bryan Singer trying to add being more comic booky to his stype.this still fault very much like a singer film but with more comic booky elements.and to me that's not a complement.

I don't feel eather DOFP or apocalypse would ever be made at Marvel.the entire purpose DOFP is trying to prevent future.i have had to believe an avengers film wouldn't just have avengers preveil.and in apocalypse having horseman with apocalypse seemed something Marvel would never do.hell they may never have masters of evil in avengers film.

I also don't want stark ever getting a chunk of screentime in X-men film like what is happening with SPider-man.

Interesting that this has a higher rating on metacritic than RT.

Bvs also got a higher rating on Metacritic. Few films got a 80+ and 30- rating there.

I saw it and I don't think it was horrible, but it really is more of the same.

Wel, studio and media more saw RT as the standard of film critics rating than Metacritic

I don't think that Singer is great at the really comicbooky type of stuff. He continues to be really good with actors though which is a good quality to have I admit.

IMO, the real problem here is Simon Kinberg and the fact that they couldn't get over by using Magneto, Mystique, Stryker and Wolverine over and over again (with Styrker/Wolverine being shoehorned).

And I don't care if this meant to be a trilogy for them.... next time, they would be saying its an end of quadrilogy. Had they focused on the new students and to the horsemen who would have eventually joined the X-Men, I just could imagine what difference it would have been if we got some character development for Angel and Storm, than seeing Magneto being developed again and seeing Wolverine again for the ninth time. And I guess for Psylocke, something more interesting even if she doesn't get to join the X-Men at the end. Or better yet why they didn't just use Gazer or some d-list character that nobody care about or actual villain like Avalanche as one of the 3 silent horsemen.

Same with me. Kinberg is a i****. It makes me worried how he will ruin all the next spinoff's he wrote and produce
And i hate how he takes credit for deadpool's success

^Not good!

And may I add, I guess instead of having Mystique in the film, the film could have focused more on Cyclops/Jean... then Beast/Xavier would be the ones to save Nightcrawler from that Circus, and they could have also persuaded Angel to joined with them. God I am so tired of Magneto/Mystique.

The bad part is JLaw says she is down for returning in the next film if James and Michael return which they will which means more Mystique...

I loved the original Mystique, but I hate JLaw's Mystique. I like JLaw as an actress, but not her Mystique. Everything from the cheap awful looking bright blue body suit to the way she plays the character just rubs me the wrong damn way.

IMO, the only one from the FC cast that should come back is McAvoy. Recast Hoult, I cannot stand that guy anymore as Beast. And give Mystique/Magneto a rest unless there's a cross-over that characters from the X-Men world should show up. I don't need Quicksilver anymore as much as I love Evan Peters. Only having these younger actors, plus McAvoy and Olivia Munn back for the 90s movie would also save them a lot of money and opens the opportunity to develop the underdeveloped characters.

And please if you are gonna have silent villains... don't use A-listers from the comics that you know spent half of the comics history as a member of the X-Men! Well they already used all the A-listers from the comics that are members of the X-Men in the comics, so I think we are safe now after this.

74% of the user on RT liked it.
Not good actually. It will go below 70% I guess.

The bad part is JLaw says she is down for returning in the next film if James and Michael return which they will which means more Mystique...

I loved the original Mystique, but I hate JLaw's Mystique. I like JLaw as an actress, but not her Mystique. Everything from the cheap awful looking bright blue body suit to the way she plays the character just rubs me the wrong damn way.

I have a feeling they're all coming back with Bryan Singer returning as well. They need the tentpole money.

I told you this would probably go below 50%! Meanwhile people were burying their heads in the sand and hoping it'd get up to 60 or even 70%!!! Crazy!

The writing was on the wall that most of the reception to this film would be leaning negative. The audience score is lowering and the box office is probably going to have a BIG drop off after the first week.

It's just sad at this point. They could do sooooo much better with these characters :(

The user score right now is pretty much in line with the user score on IMDb. The 7.5/74% range. I see this ending up around the same as BvS. 7-7.5 overall audience rating on IMDb and 65-70% on rotten. That really isn't all that bad. Just like it is for pretty much the fans it's somewhere in the middle.

IMO, the only one from the FC cast that should come back is McAvoy. Recast Hoult, I cannot stand that guy anymore as Beast. And give Mystique/Magneto a rest unless there's a cross-over that characters from the X-Men world should show up. I don't need Quicksilver anymore as much as I love Evan Peters. Only having these younger actors, plus McAvoy and Olivia Munn back for the 90s movie would also save them a lot of money and opens the opportunity to develop the underdeveloped characters.

And please if you are gonna have silent villains... don't use A-listers from the comics that you know spent half of the comics history as a member of the X-Men! Well they already used all the A-listers from the comics that are members of the X-Men in the comics, so I think we are safe now after this.
It makes no sense to recast Hoult. Why spend 3 movies with him just like James to recast him. They'd only recast it Hoult won't come back. Which I doubt. He seems to enjoy making these movies. Nick can pull it off they've just written Beast still very doubty and timid/shy when he's supposed to be quite a larger than life character.

Seems like she really want to hold the franchise hostage:o

We only need mcavoy to comeback but she seems wants to prevent any of the trio to comeback without her. Because she doesn't have anymore blockbuster project after this cuz hunger games is finished.
Yeah she is the worst part of the movie, it seems she told kinberg to wrote her character to act very much like katniss:o

Last edited:
It makes no sense to recast Hoult. Why spend 3 movies with him just like James to recast him. They'd only recast it Hoult won't come back. Which I doubt. He seems to enjoy making these movies. Nick can pull it off they've just written Beast still very doubty and timid/shy when he's supposed to be quite a larger than life character.

He's terrible as Beast. Thats why.

And IMDb rating is hardly reliable, that could easily be manipulated.

And thus the part where I don't care that it got Rotten because it's my favorite X-Men movie and I enjoyed it the most so far out of all the superhero films this year.

I told you this would probably go below 50%! Meanwhile people were burying their heads in the sand and hoping it'd get up to 60 or even 70%!!! Crazy!

The writing was on the wall that most of the reception to this film would be leaning negative. The audience score is lowering and the box office is probably going to have a BIG drop off after the first week.

It's just sad at this point. They could do sooooo much better with these characters :(

Take a breath. Audiences are liking this more than critics. 74% right now. There is more than one MCU film with audience scores in the 70s. WOM comes from general audiences, and in terms of box office, is more important than a percentage on RT.com. As long as general audiences continue to like the film it will do well regardless of what the critics think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"