Champions Online VS DC Universe

Rail

Civilian
Reaction score
Which one do you think will be better?
Labelled the points in colors to define their importance, also I changed the point system. Instead of one of them having a decider they both get points out of how good of the decider they have being a limit of 1 point on blue, 2 points on orange, and 3 points on Red.

Deciders: General things that most games have, Red: Important (3 Point Limit), Orange: General (2 Point Limit)
Outliers: Things that most games don't have, they are 1 point each and are not added onto the out-of point count.

-------The Score-------
Champions Online - 14/15
DC Universe - 13/15
------------------------

The Deciders
NOTE: Graphics has been taken out since its point limit is 1 and both games score a 1 out of 1 on graphics.

Gameplay: How much fun it is to play the game and how many abnormal things the game has.
Champions: Champions will be extremely fun with its large selection of powers that other superhero games have not had and also will have small little things like secret identies, they get 2 out of 2 points.
DC: DC will be fun, but it will have the general powers and not many abnormal ones also it focuses more on the superhero taking down bad guys more than anything else, they get 1 out of 2 points.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Best of Both Worlds: The ability to play as both a superhero and a supervillain.
Champions: Champions currently doesn't have any supervillain support although you get to design an archvillain and as an AI he keeps trying to foil you, they get 1 out of 2 points.
DC: DC has supervillain support and is going all out with it, they get 2 out of 2 points.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The World: How you affect the game world and how big it is.
Champions: Champions has a gigantic world enabling you to go to the US, Canada, underwater cities, and more and it also has a world that constantly changes, they get 2 out of 2 points.
DC: DC is going to have a pretty big world but not as big as Champions, although events through the game will probably change the world, they get 1 out of 2 points.

Costume Customization: How many different combinations of costumes you can make.
Champions: Champions will no doubt have an unbelievably fantastic costume creator since they have expierience and parts from City of Heroes, they get 3 out of 3 points.
DC: Although DC is obviously going to go all out on their costume creator this is their first time with a costume creator, they get 2 out of 3 points.

Power Customization: How many powers there are in the game and how abnormal some of them are.
Champions: Champions has experience and old power scripts from City of Heroes, probably making them add new powers that most games wouldn't have such as Spider-Man's swinging or Iceman's ice slides, they get 3 out of 3 points.
DC: DC will have plenty of powers and also have things such as climbing buildings, but they will still have the general powers included in most games, they get 2 out of 3 points.

Storyline: How good the main storyline of the game is.
Champions: Champions will have you fighting plenty of different opponents and the world will change around you, but also it lacks a real main storyline, they gets 2 out of 3 points.
DC: DC will probably have a great storyline that will change as time goes and include you fighting with the DC greats, they gets 3 out of 3 points.

The Outliers

In Champion's Favor.
The ability to create an Archvillain that is an AI, his life pursuit is to defeat you.

In DC's Favor.
The ability to fight alongside the DC greats like Superman, Batman, The Flash, and many others.

In DC's Favor.
The ability to join fabled factions such as the Justice League and the Green Lantern Corps.

So why do you think one is better than the other? Do you disagree with me? Post some discussion. :oldrazz:

Last edited:
I'll bit. I can't imagine that this is the right forum though. Aren't these multiplatform, or at least PC games? And I have the grey/white skin, so reading your post is hard as heck!

Graphics - DC Online appears to have superior graphics, by nearly any standard.
Gameplay - There is no information available about DC Universe's gameplay.
Costume Customization - There is no information available about DC Universe's costume customization. Cryptic has more experience in it.
Power Customization - There is no information available about DC Universe's power customization. Cryptic has more experience in it.

I think it's unlikely that DC Universe could outdo Cryptic at customizability.

Other things to rate
Audio - There is no information available on DC Universe's audio.
Accessibility - With lower end graphics, and more scalable graphics, Champions looks to be able to work on lower end systems better than DC Universe. Champions will also be available next month. DC Universe will be available... eventually.
Story - DC Universe seems to have two world-class comic book writers on board, Champions online consults with respectable PnP writers. DC Universe looks to have a much better story. Both involve teaming up with high level NPCs on missions.
Marketability - Superman or Defender? DC Universe takes this one.

I have to argue my point against graphics.. you cant say who has the best... however you can say what your opinion is on who has the best.

I like cel shading and retroscopeing (i think thats what its called, that they use for CO). It really makes it look like a comic book.

DC online has a cartoony tv show feeling.

Arguably, they're both not real life graphics. So, that puts them at an even balance.

I do NOT like DC... but for the sake of me opening my mouth, i did my research.

I like how you can combine powers in DC online. I think someday CO should pick up on that.

BUT... CO has alot more travel powers and abilities to choose from. So, adding to the posts above... CO wins again.

Actually GL1 there are many gameplay videos of character customization to combat in DC Universe. Heres an official video although there are tons of leaks.
http://www.zam.com/story.html?story=16573

Fixed the colors, don't know how you can stand that skin. I can't get off the dynamite skin, even the Redux is better than the standard

Last edited:
In DCU Online you get to be a Green Lantern.....DCUO for the win

I think that actually hasn't been confirmed yet. You can create a character with similar powers, but you won't be part of the Green Lantern Corps. Unless you heard something different and we finally have confirmation.

i read that somewhere...cant remember where

I'm not touching DCU at all. I'll try Champions when it comes out though.

This is in the wrong section but, im going with DCUO

DC characters vs lame, no name characters = DCUO WINS.

Fighting with Supes and the ret is, hopefully, gonna be really cool.

I'm of the opposite mind. DC characters are there, and will always be there in the DCU, and any character I create will be like those flash in the pan new characters that fade almost as quickly as they came about. No matter how fast I make my speedster character, the Flash will always be Fastest Man Alive. Batman will always be a better detective than you, and no matter how hard you try, Superman will always be THE superhero.

In a "new" universe, you don't have that glass cieling there. Also, some aspects of the DCU wouldn't be as interesting with an influx of new characters. Gotham City would undoubtedly be a hot spot in the game, but when is it ever as interesting where there's more heroes there than Bruce and his "family".

I'm of the opposite mind. DC characters are there, and will always be there in the DCU, and any character I create will be like those flash in the pan new characters that fade almost as quickly as they came about. No matter how fast I make my speedster character, the Flash will always be Fastest Man Alive. Batman will always be a better detective than you, and no matter how hard you try, Superman will always be THE superhero.

In a "new" universe, you don't have that glass cieling there. Also, some aspects of the DCU wouldn't be as interesting with an influx of new characters. Gotham City would undoubtedly be a hot spot in the game, but when is it ever as interesting where there's more heroes there than Bruce and his "family".

but even in this new universe you wont be the best hero, fastest speedster or the best super mind

Lame? You wanna talk about lame? You're defending Superman.

Sure, more people know superman... but that does NOT mean that they'd choose him as a fav over any other super hero. SOOOOO many people dont like superman.

Champions has been around for years. However, is not known for having specific characters because you create them. You're not limited to being someone you wish not to become. With CO... you take that into a video game.

PP... i've watched your arguments in the past... but dont take an ignorant step without looking at both sides. As you read here... alot more people are rooting for CO then DCU... do research and find out why. Even i did some research on DCU before i made my post. Never cared for DC other then Batman and Green Lantern... and i have made a positive note on the game... but it wont beat CO

Lame? You wanna talk about lame? You're defending Superman.

Superman is not lame

Sure, more people know superman... but that does NOT mean that they'd choose him as a fav over any other super hero. SOOOOO many people dont like superman.

Sooooo many people do like Superman too

Champions has been around for years. However, is not known for having specific characters because you create them. You're not limited to being someone you wish not to become. With CO... you take that into a video game.

However just like in COH and DCU you'll never create that universes top hero or its fastest hero. CO already has its Superman

PP... i've watched your arguments in the past... but dont take an ignorant step without looking at both sides. As you read here... alot more people are rooting for CO then DCU... do research and find out why. Even i did some research on DCU before i made my post. Never cared for DC other then Batman and Green Lantern... and i have made a positive note on the game... but it wont beat CO

CO maybe be a good game bu the things I've heard about DCUO just make it a better game to me...and Im a Marvel guy

I can more easily ignore the higher up heroes in CO and CoH than I can Superman and the JLA, especially if I'm running around in Gotham or Metropolis.

Also, I laugh at people like NightCrawler who still have that whole "Superman is lame" thing, and unless you've played either game, nobody can make any accurate judgements.

I can more easily ignore the higher up heroes in CO and CoH than I can Superman and the JLA, especially if I'm running around in Gotham or Metropolis.

Also, I laugh at people like NightCrawler who still have that whole "Superman is lame" thing, and unless you've played either game, nobody can make any accurate judgements.

agreed and DCUO isnt even close to being done

Accurate judgments??? I gave opinions. As i mentioned... i looked up the DCU game before i said anything. How can you argue how one thing is better without finding out what the opposing side has to offer?

Roach, my argument wasn't about wanting to be the top hero. I was making stating that Champions has always been about the character you create. Not the characters that already exist. In DCU, you're character is wrapped up in the affairs that are going on with the major heroes. In CO you have that... and you have your own arch villains to worry about. CO is more about your character. DCU seems more like, what your character can do to help.

Superferret, I agree with the "easier to ignore". For the same reason. There are times you're focused on your own missions. And DCU will probably have something along the lines... but not as detailed as CO.

And whats with the whole, " I laugh at people like NightCrawler who still have that whole "Superman is lame" thing." You laugh at people for having an opinion? I dont understand that.

I was stating a point. Ok so many people like superman. I watch Smallville. But what many people do not like about the character is that he is (on an average basis) a boy scout. To alot of people... the goody to shoes act is annoying.

And to alot of people, the fact that he cant die, isnt worth reading about. Alot of people like to see situations where the character is in a dangerous spot. Puts them on the edge and makes them root for their heroes and hope they can get out of a situation. Superman died... but he came back... where as Captain America died... and is dead.

Superman has a weak chance of going down. Whenever you see kryponite enter the scene, you expect him to go down... And you always know that hes going to make in through in the end. Where as someone like spider-man, can get the snot beaten out of him and you wouldnt expect it. Theres mnay different ways that we've seen Wolverine shredded.

As i said. An opinion. I'm sure that if there was a vote between Spider-man or Superman... Spider-man probably has a better shot at winning.

I'm not saying that he would be at the bottom of the popularity list. But, when there have been lists... Superman isn't in the top 3

In my comic days, i remembered that everyone i talked to in the shops, did not read superman. Obviously somewhere someone did... but the people i talked to did not. It was usually X-Men. I knew people read Hulk, Batman, Dare Devil. I read X-Men, Ghost Rider and Captain America.

Everyone goes through the whole "Superman is lame" phase. I went through it, and I got over it. Superman isn't what a lot of people assume he is, and once they get past that they'll find he's much more interesting than they thought.

Why can't marvel make a superhero game where you can eventually become galactus. :grin:

DCU Online will be better for me, since I don't actually intend to play Champions. Yes, it really is all about the branding for me. CO has a bunch of derivatives of the major DC and Marvel heroes; DC has the Superman and the Batman and the Metropolis and the Flash. I don't care that my character won't be as great as the DC greats; honestly, it shouldn't be. Just like every hero in DC's comics looks up to Superman as the best of the best, I'm content to be a relative newbie hero if I get to work alongside some of DC's heroes in missions and such. Being a speedster in the Flash family is enough for me in an RPG. I don't really need to be the Flash. I wouldn't want to in an RPG, really, 'cause inevitably the Flash won't really be the Flash as he's presented in the comics if I were; it'd break the game because everything would be too easy.

Accurate judgments??? I gave opinions. As i mentioned... i looked up the DCU game before i said anything. How can you argue how one thing is better without finding out what the opposing side has to offer?

Roach, my argument wasn't about wanting to be the top hero. I was making stating that Champions has always been about the character you create. Not the characters that already exist. In DCU, you're character is wrapped up in the affairs that are going on with the major heroes. In CO you have that... and you have your own arch villains to worry about. CO is more about your character. DCU seems more like, what your character can do to help.

How do you know you wont have your own archvillian in DCU...as was said the game hasnt put out all its stuff yet and they are still working on it

Superferret, I agree with the "easier to ignore". For the same reason. There are times you're focused on your own missions. And DCU will probably have something along the lines... but not as detailed as CO.

How do you know?

And whats with the whole, " I laugh at people like NightCrawler who still have that whole "Superman is lame" thing." You laugh at people for having an opinion? I dont understand that.

I was stating a point. Ok so many people like superman. I watch Smallville. But what many people do not like about the character is that he is (on an average basis) a boy scout. To alot of people... the goody to shoes act is annoying.

And to alot of people, the fact that he cant die, isnt worth reading about. Alot of people like to see situations where the character is in a dangerous spot. Puts them on the edge and makes them root for their heroes and hope they can get out of a situation. Superman died... but he came back... where as Captain America died... and is dead.
Ummm hate to bust your bubble but Steve Rogers is coming back...the mini Captain America:Rebirth is on stores now

Superman has a weak chance of going down. Whenever you see kryponite enter the scene, you expect him to go down... And you always know that hes going to make in through in the end. Where as someone like spider-man, can get the snot beaten out of him and you wouldnt expect it. Theres mnay different ways that we've seen Wolverine shredded.

As i said. An opinion. I'm sure that if there was a vote between Spider-man or Superman... Spider-man probably has a better shot at winning.

I'm not saying that he would be at the bottom of the popularity list. But, when there have been lists... Superman isn't in the top 3

since when does being lame equal popularity

In my comic days, i remembered that everyone i talked to in the shops, did not read superman. Obviously somewhere someone did... but the people i talked to did not. It was usually X-Men. I knew people read Hulk, Batman, Dare Devil. I read X-Men, Ghost Rider and Captain America.

We all like different characters....but I can guarantee you that someone and more than a lot are reading Superman comics

DCU Online will be better for me, since I don't actually intend to play Champions. Yes, it really is all about the branding for me. CO has a bunch of derivatives of the major DC and Marvel heroes; DC has the Superman and the Batman and the Metropolis and the Flash. I don't care that my character won't be as great as the DC greats; honestly, it shouldn't be. Just like every hero in DC's comics looks up to Superman as the best of the best, I'm content to be a relative newbie hero if I get to work alongside some of DC's heroes in missions and such. Being a speedster in the Flash family is enough for me in an RPG. I don't really need to be the Flash. I wouldn't want to in an RPG, really, 'cause inevitably the Flash won't really be the Flash as he's presented in the comics if I were; it'd break the game because everything would be too easy.

and even in the context of CO there will be the mains that will be stronger, faster , smarter than your toon...and you still will be helping them out

For me it all comes down to customization. What ever game offers me more customizability, that's the game that'll get my money.

For me it all comes down to customization. What ever game offers me more customizability, that's the game that'll get my money.

And seeing how Champions (the book) was all about customization... I think the game, being driven for its customization, will win your vote.

custom character

custom power sets

custom power colors

you customize how your character uses those powers. Want fire balls from your eyes instead of your hands? You can change that.

custom arch villain

custom arch villain minions (not sure how far this will be customized. maybe you just pick from a list, which ones match your villain more. Ex: if your villain is an undead lord... he'll have zombies. Or if hes a Cime lord... he'll have thugs.)

-----------

IF DCU will have half of those listed above... you know they're only taking ideas from CO... and it only goes to show that they will be limited to ideas of their own.

But, i've already seen DCU have their own ideas to the game. Not customized stuff tho.

And seeing how Champions (the book) was all about customization... I think the game, being driven for its customization, will win your vote.

custom character

custom power sets

custom power colors

you customize how your character uses those powers. Want fire balls from your eyes instead of your hands? You can change that.

custom arch villain

custom arch villain minions (not sure how far this will be customized. maybe you just pick from a list, which ones match your villain more. Ex: if your villain is an undead lord... he'll have zombies. Or if hes a Cime lord... he'll have thugs.)

-----------

IF DCU will have half of those listed above... you know they're only taking ideas from CO... and it only goes to show that they will be limited to ideas of their own.

But, i've already seen DCU have their own ideas to the game. Not customized stuff tho.

again where are you getting your info on DCUO because they are still making the game

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"