The Mandalorian Chapter 19 Spoiler Discussion

Surprised I didn't see a comment yet about Grogu trying to say "this is the way." I hope that's not going be his actual voice. :D

I thought Coruscant looked just fine. I hardly ever notice the use of The Volume. I didn't know there were so many CGI experts on this site that go through every shot with a magnifying glass on every movie tv show. You all make me want go all Luke Gallows on you.

nerd-luke-gallows.gif

Last edited:
It is funny to me… a lot of very smart people complain about special effects when it really doesn’t matter to audiences. 90% of viewers will watch this episode and say, “wow, what a beautiful episode!’

the special effects in this episode were good at times, and great at times. More than adequate to immerse viewers in the experience.

First of all, called it. Din Djarin saw jack **** in the water.

This was a weird episode. Almost feels like a Book of Boba Fett episode.

The stuff with, you know, the main characters of the series was great. Great dogfight with Bo-Katan and Din vs the TIE Interceptors, which was great to see again Did not give the Gauntlet's cool feature of having Din drop out of it giving the attention it deserves. But, on the other hand, given how he just sort of flops out of the ship, it is fitting for our main hero trying his best. Only wish we saw what ship brought all those TIEs there.

Bo-katan is about to **** up someone at the covert. Almost thought she and Paz were going to throw down there at the beginning. I would also like to see her mess up the Armorer. I imagine she is going to try to set up a brooding chair on her ship.

As for the rest of it, I am just confused on it. The greater galactic politics going on is just not what I want in this show. I suspect it may be key to setting up for the grand team up they are obviously building up to. But was Pershing really a loose end that needed tying up. And I know people were lusting after that random Imperial officer, but really? Also some of these set pieces feels like I had already seen in recent stuff.

As for the complaints about the Volume, it is just frustrating after seeing Andor, and then we go back to AOTC Coruscant. And in some ways worse than AOTC. The limitations of the Volume just start to become more and more apparent when you are trying to show a place that is supposed to be crowded. The unnatural gaps between people just gets hard to ignore. I do appreciate that they seemed to have seen some of the Andor production design notes, but after Andor, its just apparent. Which is rough because the dogfight looked great. But I about started laughing out loud when they started to "run" on the bridge.

Anyway, just give me Bo-katan knocking out the biggest guy in the yard next week.

The Last of Us Season 1, Episode 3: Very little of Pedro Pascal and the kid

The Mandalorian Season 3, Episode 3: Very little of Pedro Pascal and the kid

giphy.gif

I thought it was fine but I didn't love it. Personally I thought the whole plot with Pershing went on a bit too long but that's just because I never cared much for the character. This didn't really sway me. Had we gotten an episode back in season one that followed The Client I'd have been more enthusiastic because "Werner Herzog does weird stuff in the Star Wars universe" is probably too much for Disney+ to handle.

This was a weird episode. Almost feels like a Book of Boba Fett episode.
Ha, I meant to mention that. Boba is probably laughing somewhere seeing Din get a smaller version of the Boba disappear-in-your-own-show treatment. Outside of boring visuals, I thought the Coruscant stuff was all fine, just a little too long of a detour for me and not necessarily what I get most excited for on this show. It would have fit well on an Andor type show.

Ha, I meant to mention that. Boba is probably laughing somewhere seeing Din get a smaller version of the Boba disappear-in-your-own-show treatment. Outside of boring visuals, I thought the Coruscant stuff was all fine, just a little too long of a detour for me and not necessarily what I get most excited for on this show. It would have fit well on an Andor type show.

Yeah, I can see why such a sudden almost drastic change in pace would be jarring to some, but I can honestly enjoy bold, ambitious and even a bit risky moves like this every once in a while.

Unfortunately, from the reception I've been seeing so far likely from the same crowd that didn't enjoy Andor this sudden change doesn't seem to be going over all that well, but it is what it is I guess.

I'm still very much invested in this show and seeing where it goes next.

Surprised I didn't see a comment yet about Grogu trying to say "this is the way."
I liked that bit; it felt like it belonged in-universe.

Pershing's "It was a trap!" declaration, and the knowing look the Mon Calamari doctor gave the camera, were a bit too much for the fourth wall.

I thought Coruscant looked just fine. I hardly ever notice the use of The Volume. I didn't know there were so many CGI experts on this site that go through every shot with a magnifying glass on every movie tv show. You all make me want go all Luke Gallows on you.

nerd-luke-gallows.gif
You didn't need a magnifying glass to spot the janky Volume shots.

I also think they stick out more because generally speaking the effects work on this show is spectacular work.

I also think they stick out more because generally speaking the effects work on this show is spectacular work.

Well please point them out because I didn't notice any. Granted, I don't look at every pixel in these things because I try focus on the characters and story presented to me.

I mean, I noticed some weirdness with the backgrounds
but I don't necessarily blame it on the Volume itself

It was the overall cinematography on Andor that was superior, they covered up for video gamey looking backdrops by using more thoughtful and artistic shots

But if you compare Mon Mothma coming out of Luthen's shop where it was very flat and obvious she was in front of a green screen, versus the shots from this episode, I don't think the green screen effects were superior on their own

Man, Coruscant looked rough on the Volume.

Andor set a new standard on good looking SW live action show.

I really liked the small easter egg of the March of the Ressistance from the sequel trilogy playing on the background during the mountain scene.

Last edited:
Yeah, some wide shots look off... but overall Cundey was cookin' on Coruscant.

Season 3 Episode 1: :up::down
Season 3 Episode 2: :up:
Season 3 Episode 3: :down

When the show goes for anything other than Mando lore & action I feel it’s flailing and this disjointed episode was no exception.

The Doc story showed that The Republic is no better than The Empire in some aspects.
The ex Imp Com Officer betreyal was telegraphed but I thought she was a Gideon proxy. She must hold a lot of resentments again the Doc.
I liked her style, she looked good in her fitting civilian clothes.
TIE Int and TIE Bombers, always nice to see them in action. TIE Int is one of my fav figher design with the classic TIE.

Oh, that's must be my problem. I forgot to pay attention to the story. :deadpan:

I mean look..... you're most likely looking for this kind of thing, whereas general audiences don't. I can tell you without hesitation that I watched the entire episode and never balked at any of the visuals. They were fine to great. I was never taken out of the experience. I never stepped back and went, "wow that looks out of place." It's a TV show, and the visuals were very much on par with what I'd expect.

And honestly, if you ask any community outside of hard core fans on the Internet, they'll tell you the same thing. At the point that the visuals in the volume weren't distracting for the majority of audiences, I think it's fair to say that you are more focused on spotting the technical errors than others.

It is funny to me… a lot of very smart people complain about special effects when it really doesn’t matter to audiences. 90% of viewers will watch this episode and say, “wow, what a beautiful episode!’

the special effects in this episode were good at times, and great at times. More than adequate to immerse viewers in the experience.

Yeah, the jank was pretty obvious this episode. :funny:

While I get audiences are fine with not great sfx at times, I do not understand why it's a problem to point it out. A lot of times it's just folk pointing out what they see as the obvious. Some just think it's funny. Rarely do I see people take it uber seriously.

As one who grew up in the 90s, and thus a child of the jank, I find it all kind of fun to point out.

Last edited:
I mean look..... you're most likely looking for this kind of thing, whereas general audiences don't. I can tell you without hesitation that I watched the entire episode and never balked at any of the visuals. They were fine to great. I was never taken out of the experience. I never stepped back and went, "wow that looks out of place." It's a TV show, and the visuals were very much on par with what I'd expect.

And honestly, if you ask any community outside of hard core fans on the Internet, they'll tell you the same thing. At the point that the visuals in the volume weren't distracting for the majority of audiences, I think it's fair to say that you are more focused on spotting the technical errors than others.
I assure you, I am not actively, consciously looking for this stuff. Believe me when I say it is an immediate reaction. Like "oh yikes, that shot needed some more time" as soon as I'm looking at it.

Now, it is true that I love special effects. I wanted to be Ray Harryhausen when I was a kid. I'm pretty steeped in this topic, so it would be fair to say I'm more sensitive to it then your average bear. It's akin to me and auto-tune: I've also steeped myself in audio engineering, and I can hear auto-tune easily. I don't have to consciously seek it out, it's just instantly apparent to me, the way you don't have to think about what color a stop sign is, you just know when you look at it.

I assure you, I am not actively, consciously looking for this stuff. Believe me when I say it is an immediate reaction. Like "oh yikes, that shot needed some more time" as soon as I'm looking at it.

Now, it is true that I love special effects. I wanted to be Ray Harryhausen when I was a kid. I'm pretty steeped in this topic, so it would be fair to say I'm more sensitive to it then your average bear. It's akin to me and auto-tune: I've also steeped myself in audio engineering, and I can hear auto-tune easily. I don't have to consciously seek it out, it's just instantly apparent to me, the way you don't have to think about what color a stop sign is, you just know when you look at it.
My brother is the same with auto-tune and audio in general. He hears things I don't even know exist.

The Doc story showed that The Republic is no better than The Empire in some aspects.
The ex Imp Com Officer betreyal was telegraphed but I thought she was a Gideon proxy. She must hold a lot of resentments again the Doc.
I liked her style, she looked good in her fitting civilian clothes.
TIE Int and TIE Bombers, always nice to see them in action. TIE Int is one of my fav figher design with the classic TIE.

Just based on the footage in the official trailer for the season, there will be more New Republic stuff. The X-wing pilot from the earlier season will show up and I think there were shots of Coruscant that were not in this episode.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"