Children Of Men

kainedamo

Superhero
Reaction score
One of the best films I have seen in YEARS. Certainly one of the top films of all time in it's genre. Children Of Men is a great movie.

This is the only movie I've really liked Clive Owen in. He's quite dishivelled and looks quite cool in his coat and stubble. It's very easy to get on his side really and sympathise with him.

The story. It's a good idea for one thing, and carried off perfectly. It's set 20 or so years into the future, and for the last 18 years the human race has been unable to have babies. All of the women are infertile! The world is descending steadily into chaos. The film is set entirely in Britain, and you see that immigration is being totally stamped out. Immigrants are hunted down and locked up in cages. This film doesn't hold back. That's one thing I didn't like about V For Vendetta the film, I felt they held back on things so the film would reach a wider audience. Children Of Men is also quite realistic in it's portrayal of the future. Things COULD potentially become like that. I can see it happening, and going down more or less EXACTLY as the film portrayed. It's rare that a sci fi film feels so real and touches on current politics so perfectly.

In order for things to become that bad, it needs a trigger though. In this case, the trigger was the fact that women started becoming infertile. No one can figure it out. Why can't we have babies anymore? Imagine the reaction of people. The film asks so many interesting questions. You KNOW so many religious people, and they do in the film, would just say it's a punishment from God, or the end of times.

What would be the point of going on anymore? So many people would just give up and quit their jobs.

Clive Owen starts off rather pessimistic. He raises an interesting point early on in the film. Even if humans started having babies again, it's too late. Or is it? Would children inspire hope in people?

While the film doesn't show you exactly what's happened to the rest of the world, it's obvious order is largely gone. Britain seems to have some semblance of order, but only because they have such a brutal regime. I had been on the Stormfront boards for a couple of weeks, before I watched this film. And when I watched the film, I realized, this is how white nationalists would have things. You talk to Wn's, some of them try to act like they're not extreme, they just want to have white neighbourhoods and such. But white nationalism would lead to the kind of brutal immigration "policy" seen in Children Of Men. It's utterly evil and shows why WN's can't ever be allowed to succeed. I don't think they would, but that's another topic of conversation. I'm getting off track. It's not about racism, it's about rounding up all the immigrants because of increased terrorism and because the whole world's went to **** and because the government just thinks it's best if they look out for their own. Not enough resources to look after other people. It's also about fear and the government making sure they call the shots and stay in charge by driving the fear into people.

Great story, great acting, great concept, fantastically directed. There are scenes... these action scenes that are shot from beginning to end of the scene with just one running shot, no cuts at all. Very, very impressive to watch. And it seems very real. Like watching a dramatic documentary.

See it for yourself. It had me on the edge of my seat, it had a good, gripping atmosphere. It had humour at odd moments, which had me laughing. There's alot about this film. The direction style alone puts this film up a couple of notches.

Title always reminds me of Kramer's name idea for The Lopper -- Son of Dad.

But yeah, I really wanna see this one. Cuaron doesn't disappoint.

Great British film. For all those that liked 28 Days Later, this movie really blows it out of the water.

Have you watched it Darthphere? Planning on watching it? Is it even out in the US yet?? There aren't very many reviews on rottentomatoes.com

I recommend you watch it on the big screen first. Towards the end of the movie, there's this incredible battle seen. It's all filmed in one shot, as in no cuts, and it just goes on and on. It's so impressive to watch, and you only have one opportunity to see that on the big screen.

I'm looking forward to this one. I often avoid trailers b/c of how spoily they are but this one sucks me in every time! It looks to be very unique and visionary.

Just rewatched the trailer earlier today. I'm very curious about this film. Glad to hear you liked it. :up:

Oh wait. The guy that started this thread is from Belfast. I thought he was from America. (I just assume everyone is here -- for some reason)

We get it in a month or so. October 26th. I can't wait.

If you look at my profile you can guess a reason why I'm looking forward to this.

kainedamo said:
I recommend you watch it on the big screen first. Towards the end of the movie, there's this incredible battle seen. It's all filmed in one shot, as in no cuts, and it just goes on and on. It's so impressive to watch, and you only have one opportunity to see that on the big screen.

Dont think i'll get the time but i'll try, thanks for the info.

kainedamo said:
Have you watched it Darthphere? Planning on watching it? Is it even out in the US yet?? There aren't very many reviews on rottentomatoes.com

I dont think its out in the states yet and if it is, im going right this second.

I can't be the only person on these boards that's watched this film.

I saw the film a few weeks ago and it exceeded my expectations and they were pretty high I must say. The portrayal of the Great Britain in 20 something years was awesome and totally believable. London looked like..well, London but not the same one we know.
Clive Owen was unforgettable and the supporting cast was great as well. Two words: Michael Cane
Some scenes made me laugh and cry at the same time I dont remember ever feeling that way while watching a film.
Ive heard some ppl complain about "lack of explanations" but I dont think it is necessary to explain every tidbit and there are some things you are able to As Kainedamo put it,
kainedamo said:
One of the best films I have seen in YEARS.

I saw this about a month ago. ****ing fantastic. Clive Owen does a great job as the anti-hero. Michael Caine is cast as an aged hippie. Which is a brilliant and unusual choice. He gives the movie a great deal of warmth.
When he was shot I nearly cried
The visuals are drop dead amazing. With absolutely stunning long takes. The only film better this year was The Departed.

kainedamo said:
I can't be the only person on these boards that's watched this film.

It was released in the UK more than a month ago, I saw it then.

It doesnt come out in the states until Christmas Day, in limited release.:cmad:

Carmine Falcone said:
I saw this about a month ago. ****ing fantastic. Clive Owen does a great job as the anti-hero. Michael Caine is cast as an aged hippie. Which is a brilliant and unusual choice. He gives the movie a great deal of warmth.
When he was shot I nearly cried
Yep
I laughed one second /"Pull my finger"/
and almost cried the next /when he was shot/during that scene
Caine is brilliant.
BTW I liked Departed but I dont think it was that great.

Niobe said:
Caine is brilliant.

He is. He truly is. My all time favorite actor. I can't wait to see him in The Prestige (it will be released februari 8 here..which is a disgrace) And also I can't wait for the Children of Men DVD.

Niobe said:
BTW I liked Departed but I dont think it was that great.

Well to each his own. I might think of them as equally great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"