• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Dark Knight Rises Christian Bale Rules Out Robin For Batman 3 (and beyond)

Nolan and Bale have turned Batman credible again. If they feel that Robin isn't the right direction for the franchise, then I believe them. If we get to Batman 4, maybe. But there's still enough to happen without the guy for another movie at least.

Same here. If they don't want Robin, then they don't. No need for some to be an ass & bash Nolan/Bale for not wanting him. It their film, their choice. If other don't like it, then they should shut up & go read the comics or watch the cartoons.

SM2 is better than SM3... I don't want Nolan to be forced into something he doesn't want to do.

Same here. If fans demand they put Robin in when Nolan don't want to, it will harm the movie.

And it funny some bash other who don't want Robin as "fanboys", but they complain not getting Robin in the film like one. Talk about hypocrite. :hehe: :hehe:

they should just go straight to nightwing.

No way, if Nolan has to use Dick Grayson he has to explain his origin like he did with Batman.

At first I was against Robin being in these, but then I looked at Dark Victory again. He can work like that. Batman after TDK and the loses he's about to sustain will be at his darkest and grimmest. He'll lose faith and will resign himself as the Dark Knight without any humanity left, to the point of horrifying Alfred. He'll begin distancing himself from Gordon, etc.

Then he sees himself in Grayson after Grayson's parents are murdered like his. He adopts Grayson as his own and eventually trains the boy when he and Batman have a confrontation. That leads to Grayson getting his revenge on Zucco and at the end Robin can help in some small way and the end is Batman has for the first time in the trilogy brought a momentary respite of peace to Gotham City and knows he is making a difference for the better and now, even if he is knowingly committed to this endless crusade for the rest of his life, at least he is not alone.

This is what I wrote in the other thread.

Some people don't understand or can't accept the fact that both Nolan and Bale don't want Robin in their movies. It's simple as that. That doesn't mean he won't show up somewhere down the line but as long as Nolan is at the helm, we won't be getting him and I'm with Bale on this 100%.

Yes, Robin is essential to the character of Batman like many say but not at the early stages of where Chris' films take place so right now, he is totally irrelevant to the trilogy. The only character that comes to mind right now that can impact both Bruce and Batman in the next movie is the introduction of Selina Kyle.

Right now we're dealing with the beginnings of Batman. We got his origin and now with TDK we're getting his realization. I don't know what the third movie will be about but Bruce Wayne is a character that is still being developed. The focus should stay on him rather than deal with the origin of a freaking child sidekick.

Let the next director and creative team tackle Robin and stop bothering Nolan & co.

1. If Nolan doesn't want to use him, I'm fine with that. SM3 shows what happens when you force a character down an artist's throat.

2. I think most people who says Robin fits like a glove for the third have read Dark Victory. If you've read the unofficial "Batman origins trilogy," it goes Year One (heavily influenced his arc in BB), TLH (heavily influences his and Harvey Dent's arcs in TDK) and DV. So the arc is already there. But if Nolan doesn't want to go that way, that's fine.

3. What makes you think there will be a "next creative" team? :p Seriously, fans seem to think their movies will go on forever. I have a hunch Batman 3 will be the last time we see Batman in a solo movie for a LONG time (though he'll probably show up in JL if WB ever gets that together).

I'm done. ;)

Here's my thing on the whole Robin thing. I just hate when the fanatic fanboys here say that Robin won't work onscreen at all in Nolan's new univere. To me that's just a ******** reasoning for writers who can't think of a good way of writing the character. Though, I am not one to want Robin in the movies right now, right away. I understand that it is Batman's early years, but that doesn't mean Robin can't ever fit down the line of movies, cuz let's face it, even if Nolan leaves after TDK or the 3rd movie, that won't mean that the Batman movies are done for.

I love Dark Victory, it's one of my favorite graphic novels and I'm very well aware of how brilliant Robin is handled throughout. I think when we refer to 'Nolan's universe' we're thinking in terms of his trilogy. Assuming that a new director will come in to tackle the fourth film and beyond, we won't be in 'Nolan's universe' anymore. The foundations may have been set and may very well be a part of the new continuity but it won't be Nolan's vision. Kind of like the transition from Burton to Shumacher only not as extreme.

3. What makes you think there will be a "next creative" team? Seriously, fans seem to think their movies will go on forever. I have a hunch Batman 3 will be the last time we see Batman in a solo movie for a LONG time (though he'll probably show up in JL if WB ever gets that together).

Assuming that there will be a new director, he'll drag his friends and partners with him to bring his vision to the screen.

Robin doesnt fit in these movies but dick grayson maybe. The idea of putting a minor on harms way is not happening. They could take the dick grayson character and make him nightwing as the energy filled martial artist/acrobat. Someone mid 20s and thats only there to help on the side. It would have to be at least a reasonable situation with this character for it to work.

If they don't respect the character, they're not the right creative team to bring him to the screen.

Either way I'm ok with it whether there will be Robin in Nolan's Batman film or he won't be, if Robin is in it, that's ok because Nolan will portray the character dark and faithful to the comic books like Jeph Loeb did in Dark Victory and Bale might accept it that Robin will be in it whether he likes it or not.

If they don't respect the character, they're not the right creative team to bring him to the screen.

I'm sure they respect every character but maybe they don't want to use Robin. I want a good Batman film with Robin or without him.

What if they skip Dick Grayson and move on straight to Jason Todd?! :D

Wait, guys--it was a joke. You know, haha, funny? Now just put the torches and pitchforks down? Can't we all just get along?

<Runs for life>. :eek:

I'm sure they respect every character but maybe they don't want to use Robin. I want a good Batman film with Robin or without him.

If they do, they're doing a damn good job at hiding it.

maybe he just said this so people will stop asking him about Robin.. that probably got annoying by the hundredth time he was asked.

Bale's comments seem to be in bad taste, IMO. Robin as a character(s) is complex, interesting and deserving of a proper big screen adaptation. More than that, he is an important part of the Batman mythos.

Having said that, however, I don't see the need to include Robin in the near future (i.e. the third film) and I completely support the idea of keeping Batman as a lone vigilante at this point. There's just so much left to do with Bruce and I'd rather see him become more developed than introduce a new character to eat up screen time.

the best physical embodiment of Robin is ironically an ASIAN actor named Tony Jaa. He's about the size of an adult Nightwing and he too is the world's greatest acrobat. Look how this guy moves, he's untouchable exactly the way Dick Grayson would be in a fight. Towards the end of this clip from Ong Bak is a scene where tony literally runs down the alley ON the shoulders and heads of the bad guys before they can react. This is the type of energy and dynamism of Robin that's never been shown, and why audiences would connect with him. What's NEVER been captured on film is the idea that this man is the greatest human (non-enhanced) embodiment of spiderman... but since he's human you dont use CGI you use the sickest human stunts possible using walls, furniture, other ppl as props.
That clip is pretty good. Humour is cheap, but the choreography (when they weren't going to replay heaven) was neat.

Having read through this thread, I could see Robin working in the current continuity. Of course, this isn't a "Robin or bust" statement, or "anything but Robin" (both of which are utterly stupid IMO). The progression would be very, very easy.

I read in the Sydney Morning Herald Spectrum section from the 5th that Two Face is being portrayed as a vigilante without the principles of Batman. Essentially, he's like Batman, but totally unrestrained.

In the third film, Batman increasingly finds himself going down this path himself in his one man crusade. Bruce still plays the part of the playboy, but finds it harder and harder to hide his moral self-destruction. He and Alfred fight, Batman falls out with Gordon, and he's finding himself ever more isolated.

This is where the character of Dick Grayson comes in. Now there has been a suggestion made in another thread that Dick was a witness who needed protection since he'd seen something he shouldn't have, blah blah blah. That isn't what I'm getting at. In the end, he needs to be taken in, perhaps more by Alfred than Bruce. Dick rarely sees Bruce, and starts to wonder where he is all the time. One night, Dick wakes up from a nightmare and hears Bruce coming in.

He then discovers the Bat cave, and Bruce tells him to forget he ever saw it and tells Alfred to get rid of him. Alfred refuses, saying words to the effect that Dick will end up far worse off than him unless he gets some guidance, not to mention Bruce hasn't been holding up to his one-man crusade very well.

Initially, he'd be nothing more than the guy on the radio, keeping Batman informed of police radio, etc, and occasionally making a joke (nothing campy please). Eventually these jokes, as well as Dick's overall presence and determination to help in the crusade against crime, arrest Batman's decline into amorality, and provide a key point of difference between him and Two-Face.

Possibly one way to end the movie is that Gordon lights up the Bat signal. Dick tells Batman the signal's gone up, but Batman is busy and sends Dick, as Robin (of course, this is the very end of the movie).

In short, Robin acts as messenger rather than direct crime fighter. When he does fight, he only does so when the odds are already stacked in his favour (don't fight battles that you haven't already won, no?).

Intelligence and patience are really all a writer needs to bring in Robin and make it work.

Skipping to Jason Todd/Robin with the post-crisis origin could work, also Jason Todd post-crisis is more aggressive and darker than the other Robin's in the comic books. Bale might find Jason Todd a cooler Robin.

They should merge the two franchises together so it'd be Batman Begins,Batman, The Dark Knight, Batman Returns, Batman Forever, Batman and Robin,...... Then the next movies could have Nightwing in them. : )

What if they skip Dick Grayson and move on straight to Jason Todd?! :D

Wait, guys--it was a joke. You know, haha, funny? Now just put the torches and pitchforks down? Can't we all just get along?

<Runs for life>. :eek:

In all seriousness, I wouldn't object to them skipping Dick Grayson and going onto Tim Drake. For my money, Tim Drake is the best Robin. But then again, on the other hand, perhaps what makes him the best is that he's followed Grayson and Todd, and how he compares/contrasts with them, so I dunno...

I'm not surprised. There's no way Bruce Wayne wants to become a father and no way someone would give him Dick in adoption being single and having a strong reputation as womanizer, alcoholic and after burning his own house down.

Batman is anything but a family starter or a father firgure.

Apparently, Dark Victory is Bales fav book (well, thats Wikipedia for you)
So its either a ruse or its true.
Id go for the latter

I'd go for Bale knowing that what works in comics doesn't always work on movies.

Even in DV, Robin wears some green shorts and yellow cape. No way that could be seen or felt serious in a movie.

The actual movies seem to diagree with that aseessment.

i enjoy ROBIN & think that anyone who likes the nolanverse @ all, needs to acknowledge that the character could be done JUST AS GOOD AS BATMAN WAS....

Bale's refusal to do Robin, shows only that he cares about this project and he's probably following NOLAN like a german to a nazi &

IF HE REALLY CARED ABOUT BATMAN, HE WOULD HELP THE FILMMAKER's FIND A WAY TO INCLUDE SUCH A PIVOTAL PART OF THE BATMAN UNIVERSE

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"