Cirque du Freak

Hunter Rider

Ronin
Staff member
Reaction score
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=40841

Source: Variety
January 11, 2008

Salma Hayek has signed on to star opposite John C. Reilly in Universal Pictures' horror drama Cirque du Freak, which will mark her first acting role since her maternity leave.

Production begins next month. Paul Weitz is directing the film, which is based on the best-selling 12-book children's series by Darren Shan.

Weitz is also producing alongside Lauren Shuler Donner.

Reilly will play a vampire who drafts a 14-year-old to serve as his assistant. The youth is turned into a half-vampire and becomes the catalyst in a battle between vampires and the rival Vampanese. Hayek will play Madame Truska, the bearded lady.

Bumping this cause I just found out the movie was official, and did a search for it before I made one.:o

I'm very excited for this. I loved the books, there was only one I didn't care for. Other than that they were a an easy and intriqing read, there were just so many times that Shan could of gone darker and more mature in the writing, that I think would of made the books better.

Salma with beard:

salmaarticle3002tk8.jpg

I haven't read any novel from the series, but it's intriguing. There isn't much known about the film.

Shock Till You Drop said:
Willem Dafoe Joins Cirque du Freak

ShockTillYouDrop.com has learned that Willem Dafoe (Spider-Man) has joined the cast of Universal Pictures' horror-fantasy Cirque du Freak, directed by Paul Weitz for a 2009 release.

He's joining a cast that includes John C. Reilly, Ken Watanabe, Chris Massoglia, Josh Hutcherson, Patrick Fugit, Ray Stevenson, Michael Cerveris, Frankie Faison, Jane Krakowski, Orlando Jones, Kristen Schaal and Salma Hayek.

The film revolves around a young Darren Shan, who, after attending an illegal freak show with his best friend, decides to become a vampire's assistant in order to save his best friend's life. Forced to leave his home and family forever, Darren joins the freak show where he meets a host of bizarre creatures and finds himself at the center of a war between the vampires and a rival clan.

Dafoe's role is Gavner Purl, a vampire in the film - his third time to play one. His previous turns as a bloodsucker: Shadow of the Vampire and Daybreakers.

Sounds kind of interesting.

I loved in Shadow of the Vampire when Willem Dafoe would try to bite someone, and John Malcovich would yell the s*** out of him and put him in check.

William is always welcome in any film. :up: Cameo appearance by Goblin, perhaps? :woot:

damn i was thinking Ms. Hayek will become an another type of freak.:o oh well, i don't know about the books, but this sounds interesting.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=45523

Cirque du Freak Set Visit Preview
Source: ShockTillYouDrop.com
May 29, 2008

ShockTillYouDrop.com visited the New Orleans set for Universal Pictures' Cirque du Freak this week and has posted a preview. The Paul Weitz-directed film stars John C. Reilly, Ken Watanabe, Josh Hutcherson, Patrick Fugit, Ray Stevenson, Frankie Faison, Jane Krakowski, Orlando Jones, Salma Hayek and Willem Dafoe. It tells the frightening tale of a boy who unknowingly breaks a 200-year-old truce between two warring factions of vampires.

Click here to read the set visit preview!

I have Yet to read the last 2 books in this series and it's been far to long since I read the Other ones I'm think I'm going to have to start over. Anyway I heard that the 1st Movie will be based on the 1st 3 books

Which if I pull them all out right now are

The 1st book Cirque Du Freak (A Living Nightmare)
The Vampire's Assistant
and Tunnels of Blood.

Sound be interesting to see if this does well maybe we will get more movie if not well who knows we will have to wait and see.

The first one itself could be a stand alone film. I wonder if the film is going to feel rushed since they're squeezing 3 books into it.

yeah i'm kind worried it will be rushed, the first one could definitely be a stand alone film, and if they don't try to squeeze anything in then the 2nd and 3rd could possibly be made into one movie. the 2nd is more dramatic while the 3rd has a little more action.

John C. Reilly is playing a vampire?

:lmao:

I'm sure he will be good, I'm just struggling with the picture in my mind of the man who played Dewey Cox becoming a creature of the night.

I have my reservations on that one, but i won't completely doubt him, i've been proven wrong before. but he really really doesn't seem to have any physical quality of Larten Crepsley. Larten is an old, creepy man while reilly...he just makes you smile

but like i said i've been proven wrong before

John C. Reilly is playing a vampire?

:lmao:

I'm sure he will be good, I'm just struggling with the picture in my mind of the man who played Dewey Cox becoming a creature of the night.
I just hope he gets Crepsley right. It's going to be hard not to picture hims singing that "Walk Hard" song in this movie. :(

i was thinking defoe would've been great for crepsley. he will make a great purl though too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"