City Of Berkley Clashes With Marines

The tree-hugging granola crunchers at Berkeley have every right to protest the Iraq war. But disagreeing with the war is far different than disrespecting Marines and other military personnel who fight and die to guarantee the right to protest. Free speech has consequences. Rights come with responsibilities. The best time for antiwar protests is before the war starts, because you can be sure our soldiers and are enemies are watching the news and listening.

In America, you have the right to spout off, but the spouter must be willing to accept the consequences and the disagreement of other people. The Dixie Chicks, for example, have every right to say they're ashamed to come from the same state as the president, even though going to a foreign ally to do it was disrespectful in the extreme. Those who disagree with them also had every right to stop buying their CDs and stop going to their concerts. Hippies at Berkeley have the right to say our fighting troops are reprehensible. Those who support our troops also have the right to speak with their money as well.

The Code Pink protest is just like a silly impersonation of the now universally hated "hippie" stereotype. At first, I thought it was a joke, or a some kind of sham. These people are nuts. I think they're probably hurting the anti-war effort, instead of helping. Instead of dissuading or preventing people in their community from being recruited by the USMC, they're just going to encourage more people to stand up against what they represent.

The Code Pink protest is just like a silly impersonation of the now universally hated "hippie" stereotype. At first, I thought it was a joke, or a some kind of sham. These people are nuts. I think they're probably hurting the anti-war effort, instead of helping. Instead of dissuading or preventing people in their community from being recruited by the USMC, they're just going to encourage more people to stand up against what they represent.

I love code Pink just because they do make the libs look stupid.

Nobody is "PRO-WAR". It's just that some of us realize that there will always be a time to fight for defense of your nation or protection of an ally.

Great power does indeed come with great responsiblity.

Nobody is "PRO-WAR". It's just that some of us realize that there will always be a time to fight for defense of your nation or protection of an ally.

Totally agree.... and I like the way you tied Uncle Ben to it as well.... he would be proud. :)

It's just that some of us realize that there will always be a time to fight for defense of your nation or protection of an ally.
Have we done that since 1945? Kennedy's Vietnam included.

I applaude the people for protesting and denying the Marines access. Hate the Government for starting the useless Iraq war,but hate the soliders for going there even more. Because they can refuse...but they do not.
:dry:

They have the right to protest, and the marines have the right to stay there.

I continue on with my day unchanged

Theres difference between protesting, and the city council voting to keep the marines from recruiting in their city.

BUT, the city council has changed their minds.....$$$$$$ will do that to ya.:cwink:

Have we done that since 1945? Kennedy's Vietnam included.

The Korean, Vietnam, and Gulf Wars were fought in the defense of our allies (South Korea, South Vietnam, and Kuwait)

I love it over there..great city ..matter of fact i was just there yesterday..had to pic up some comics

No, there are lots of people that are pro-war. The problem with them is that they don't know the DIFFERENCE between what is fighting in the name of defense and what isn't.

And I suspect that Arkady says the opposite of what he really thinks is right for comical purposes.

That is true. Hate the Mission if you will. Respect the People that have the Testicular Fortitude to Defend us.

:dry:

Grammatical anomalies aside, I don't see why Berkley is protesting the Marines SO heavily. Are they tricking people to sign up or something? 10 free downloads just sign here...(small print). The Marines have their right to free speech. I get protesting the war, but this is too much negativity that doesn't help the situation and just further separates and drives wedges between Americans.

We've had recruiters for decades and when I was an undergraduate (3 years ago) I loved talking to them and getting their opinions about everything from the war in Iraq to politics to their lives in general. Most of them were VERY down to earth young kids, some of them were trapped in their situation, so it's VERY hard not to sympathize with them.

No, there are lots of people that are pro-war. The problem with them is that they don't know the DIFFERENCE between what is fighting in the name of defense and what isn't.

And I suspect that Arkady says the opposite of what he really thinks is right for comical purposes.

Dude...I was hopin' that you understood my point. I know there are some nut jobs who like war. Just like there are those who would let Hitler live.

I'm not talking about thextremes in either case.

The average Joe, GOP or Dem, is not "PRO-WAR".

Anyone heard the latest thig the city council's saying. "For military, against recruitment"

Saaaayyyy whaaaaaattt? :confused:

I am all for the right to protest, but as with every right it has its consequences when exercised.

I applaude the people for protesting and denying the Marines access. Hate the Government for starting the useless Iraq war,but hate the soliders for going there even more. Because they can refuse...but they do not.

....as a former member of the United States Navy we have something called Honor, Courage, Commitment....How dare you insult the brave men and women who serve their country....?? Honor...holding yourself to a higher standard....Courage to do the things others won't do....and Commitment to your fellow servicemen and women

The protestors are not protesting individual soldiers. They're protesting the war and the instrument in which they're getting soldiers to sign up so they can go die or get maimed for some weird Bush/Cheney agenda.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"