City of Crime - What went wrong?

Dark Detective

Civilian
Reaction score
I checked this out from my local library a little while back (I guess libraries don't have a quality control system). Anyways, I read this ridiculously long piece of garbage thinking it would get good at some point, or maybe eventually make sense. Instead, it just kinda sucks. I thought it would be interesting to talk about this book and see if we, the fans could rework the story in a way that well . . . works. Anyways, if you've read it, talk about what you liked (a little) and hated (a lot) and formulate some suggestions. This book really isn't worth the effort but I've got nothing better to do, and maybe you don't either. I'm a Bat-fan, and I can't stand a story that doesn't do him justice. So, let's put this one under the microscope and see what we would have done better.

I have the tpb but I haven't read it yet...I heard good things about it though...is it really that bad?

haha yeah it is a pretty beefy book

this book is the epitome of s#!t batman books.

I found the plot quite hard to follow. One thing I will admit I did like: Batman appears mostly as a shadowy form, he doesn't actually appear until a good ways in. I actually liked this for some reason.

I'm tired of hearing "what went wrong" with City of Crime. Focus on the positives, damn you! :cmad:

City of crime is seriously the worst TPB I've ever read. It was torture.

What went right- interesting concept of the city being a key player in the story, the city itself was given as much focus as the characters.

What went right- interesting concept of the city being a key player in the story, the city itself was given as much focus as the characters.

I was kidding. Bash City of Crime as much as you want. :up:

I am the only one in the world who likes city of crime
the villains were creepy because they could be anyone
the story really was about Gotham

but what went wrong??

HOW MANY TIMES do we start a arc where batman is determed to get the ones that killed a kid only to find out at the end THE END that they didn't kill the kid it was someone batman never expected because batman's not the greatest detective out there. and I liked Broken City but It did the same thing

I hate it in movies were "It was all a dream...."
so that's my problem

but City of Crime is the best portrayal of Gotham

Meh, it was a good portrayal of Gotham, but the story made no sense and meandered, I have no idea how this got past the quality control at DC. I bought it because it was big and looked interesting, instead I got the most annoying TPB ever. And that includes Hush Returns!

Hahaha. But seriously, how do you think this story could be retold so that it's not a complete piece of crap? Can it be done?

anything can be done

you know what would be funny

City of Crime 2: This One Doesn't Suck

City Of Crime 2 - The One With The Story That Makes Sense.

It could be done, if they took out like half the pages. I thought the first few bits with Penguin and Wesker was pretty cool, but the stupid mud creatures sucked.

City Of Crime 2 - The One With The Story That Makes Sense.

It could be done, if they took out like half the pages. I thought the first few bits with Penguin and Wesker was pretty cool, but the stupid mud creatures sucked.

Yeah, at least Hush showed that it's not impossible to right a good story with new a new villain.

If you want to read a good story about Gotham, read 'Dark Knight, Dark City'. Batman issues 452-454. It's great, and features the best. Riddler. Ever. Also good, but not as good, is the the crossover 'Destroyer'. It starts in Batman 474, then Legend of the Dark Knight 27, with the last part in Detective 641. The art features a Gotham City designed by Anton Furst. It's worth the lackluster story.

That sounds good, I always see Gotham itself as a character anyways, the whole 'what kind of city allos not only the freaks, but also The Batman?'

Hush showed that a new villian can be introduced easily, sadly, City Of Crime seemed to meander around the subject aimlessly...

Who was the artist and writer?

Dark Knight, Dark City was Peter Milligan and Kieron Dwyer (with Mignola covers). Destroyer was Breyfogle/Aparo on Batman, O'Neil/Sprouse on LOTDK and Grant/Aparo on Detective. So you can't go wrong there. :up:

I actually quite liked it--until the final execution of the plot at the end. It was too quick, and the explanation for all of it just wasn't quite what I was hoping for.

Really? I could see from last five chapters what it was all leading towards. To me though, it just seemed like it didn't have a resolution. I dunno, it's an interesting read, but there's just no story...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"