Clerks II - Moved forward a month

black_dust

FrEaK-A-ZoId!!!
Reaction score
“Clerks II” Movin’ On Up!
Friday 12 May 2006 @ 10:56 am

“Clerks II” is coming out EVEN EARLIER THIS SUMMER!

In a ballsy move that says “**** you: we’re a five million dollar flick and we’re coming out in the ****ing middle of the summer, *****es!”, Weinstein Co. has upped the “Clerks II” release date from August 18th to JULY 21st! The wait is now almost a month shorter, folks!

Why the move? Getting into Cannes changed everything. Since the film will have its world debut on May 26th, the Weinstein folks thought it’d make more sense to get the film out there sooner, rather than later. They found a weekend in which there wasn’t any flick that directly compete with the movie for an audience, and staked their claim.

Now, we’re opening against some pretty big flicks (”Lady in the Water”, “Monster House”), but nothing that’s appealing directly to our core audience. So while we’ll never open at number one (those two flicks alone are pretty mass-appeal movies), we stand to make a decent chunk of change and wind up somewhere in the top ten.

Good news for me, great news for anyone who’s been patiently waiting for “Clerks II” to open.

Peep the release schedule changes here… and also here.

(Note: those links list the film’s title as “Clerks II: The Passion of the Clerks”. That’s incorrect. It’s still simply good ol’ “Clerks II”.)
—————

Also, a nice (if back-handed) shout-out to this site can be found here.

Good move or not? Could be going up against some big movies, or it could be the big movie!

It looks funny, just...not funny like his other films. Or maybe it's the cast that bugs me, or not being in black & white, but I'm not terribly excited for Clerks II.

Flame on! said:
Cleaks, lol.
Im working on it :p Morgs not on anymore.

Excuse = Typing in the dark and 2.45am :(

Edit : Thanks to whomever changed it!

Back to topic.

What will Mr Smith blame it on this time if it bombs, Jersy girl was a result of BenAfer spliting up, so he says and that Gili flop

I thought it was just to get away from SNAKES ON A PLANE.

Good. The earlier it comes, the sooner it'll pass back into oblivion.

Stupid move. July is blockbuster season. To throw a low budget indie into the middle of that, no matter how big the cult following is suicide.

Gamma Ray said:
Good. The earlier it comes, the sooner it'll pass back into oblivion.

As much as I like Kevin Smith's work...I agree...it is best that this passes into oblivion. This movie is a desperate panic move after Jersey Girl failed.

Matt said:
As much as I like Kevin Smith's work...I agree...it is best that this passes into oblivion. This movie is a desperate panic move after Jersey Girl failed.
For some reason it angers me to violence just watching the preview for this sack of bastard. :mad:

Of course, I get like that for all movie trailers. :O

great news, cant wait

This movie will make Kevin smith cool again.

Big Clerks II News...

For those doubting the quality of the flick, peep this.

"Last night, we debuted "Clerks II" at the Cannes Film Festival.

With all the vitriol surrounding some of the press screenings of flicks there this year, I was pretty terrified "Clerks II", also, might be greeted by a chorus of French Boos (and I ain't talking about champagne).

However, after last night, I say "VIVA LA FRANCE!"

When the flick ended and the credits started rolling, a standing ovation began that lasted a full eight minutes. It was surreal and wonderful, and it just kept going and going. I looked to Harvey (Weinstein, our boss), that old Cannes war-horse, to see if the cast and I should start heading out of the theater: as it was two in the morning and the applause wasn't showing any signs of stopping. But from two aisles back, he responded with a waving "No" finger at me, mouthing the words "Don't move." So we all stayed put.

By the time the credits ended, I figured the audience was done applauding as well.

But they weren't.

They just kept on clapping. And thankfully, not only did Zack and Joey get the whole thing on tape to prove it all happened (watch for it in a new "Train Wreck" video blog, up this weekend), but Roger Friedman over at Fox411 was there was well, documenting what I have to say was one of the twenty most amazing moments of my life.

The applause finally stopped after eight minutes. Harvey was over the moon about it. "In my thirty years of coming here, I've never seen a standing ovation last that long at a midnight show in Cannes," he said. "Ever."

En route to the theater, I prayed that the notoriously fickle Cannes' audience wouldn't boo the flick. During the screening, I prayed that the film would keep playing as gang-busters as it had been playing up 'til that point, and that the audience stayed with us, rather than succumb to mid-flick naps. After the screening, I started praying that I never forget that insanely special moment that I shared with Jeff, Brian, Rosario, Mos and Jen - when time seemed to stand still, and at the world's most famous film festival, we all stared wide-eyed (and wider-smiled) at a room-full of cats staring back at us (with equally wide smiles and palms cooked red from non-stop applause) who really, really "got" what we were trying to communicate with "Clerks II".

Life comes down to a few major moments. Last night was definitely one of them.

"Clerks II" - July 21, in theaters everywhere. "

Oh, and check out Roger Friedman's glowingly positive review here. Be warned, it's full of spoilers.

I dunno about you guys, but I'm getting pumped for this flick.

The trailer didn't wow me but perhaps there's hope. Aso for everyone else, I disagree with you Matt. It's not really a dumb move at all, if it lands in like number 5 or 6 that weekend it'll end up making all it's money back in one fell swoop. All they got do is advertise it as a comedy and people will come out and see it. Monster House appeals to kids and Lady in the Water appeals to horror/m. night shylaman crowd, if it's advertise as a straight out comedy, a bunch of teeangers with dates will go and see it. Considering the small budget, it's not a bad move at all. Especially if the word is as positive as they say

Brian2887 said:
Big Clerks II News...

For those doubting the quality of the flick, peep this.

"Last night, we debuted "Clerks II" at the Cannes Film Festival.

With all the vitriol surrounding some of the press screenings of flicks there this year, I was pretty terrified "Clerks II", also, might be greeted by a chorus of French Boos (and I ain't talking about champagne).

However, after last night, I say "VIVA LA FRANCE!"

When the flick ended and the credits started rolling, a standing ovation began that lasted a full eight minutes. It was surreal and wonderful, and it just kept going and going. I looked to Harvey (Weinstein, our boss), that old Cannes war-horse, to see if the cast and I should start heading out of the theater: as it was two in the morning and the applause wasn't showing any signs of stopping. But from two aisles back, he responded with a waving "No" finger at me, mouthing the words "Don't move." So we all stayed put.

By the time the credits ended, I figured the audience was done applauding as well.

But they weren't.

They just kept on clapping. And thankfully, not only did Zack and Joey get the whole thing on tape to prove it all happened (watch for it in a new "Train Wreck" video blog, up this weekend), but Roger Friedman over at Fox411 was there was well, documenting what I have to say was one of the twenty most amazing moments of my life.

The applause finally stopped after eight minutes. Harvey was over the moon about it. "In my thirty years of coming here, I've never seen a standing ovation last that long at a midnight show in Cannes," he said. "Ever."

En route to the theater, I prayed that the notoriously fickle Cannes' audience wouldn't boo the flick. During the screening, I prayed that the film would keep playing as gang-busters as it had been playing up 'til that point, and that the audience stayed with us, rather than succumb to mid-flick naps. After the screening, I started praying that I never forget that insanely special moment that I shared with Jeff, Brian, Rosario, Mos and Jen - when time seemed to stand still, and at the world's most famous film festival, we all stared wide-eyed (and wider-smiled) at a room-full of cats staring back at us (with equally wide smiles and palms cooked red from non-stop applause) who really, really "got" what we were trying to communicate with "Clerks II".

Life comes down to a few major moments. Last night was definitely one of them.

"Clerks II" - July 21, in theaters everywhere. "

Oh, and check out Roger Friedman's glowingly positive review here. Be warned, it's full of spoilers.

I dunno about you guys, but I'm getting pumped for this flick.

I was just going to make a thread about this. CRAZY!

Matt said:
Stupid move. July is blockbuster season. To throw a low budget indie into the middle of that, no matter how big the cult following is suicide.

your post is what's stupid. It isn't really an Independant film. I'm not sure if it was financed by the Weinstein company, but it might as well have been as Kevin has pretty much an open door to get anything he shoots distributed by them nationwide. The Weinsteins are a major studio, a "mini-major" perhaps, but outside of the defenition of independant cinema nonetheless.

Wedding Crashers came out in July, as have plenty of other low(er) budget comedic hits, as well as throughout the other parts of Blockbuster season.

I don't know if you just completely ignored the details of the post which listed the movies it's now opening against, which clearly don't pose a competative potential towards Clerks. The fandom of Clerks in all its degrees has gone way beyond "cult" status by now.

You just don't know how ******ed you sound saying the notion of Kevin and the Weinsteins making back the FIVE MILLION DOLLARS it took to make the movie is not only difficult but the shift of them now doing it in July is actually "suicide".

BT18 said:
your post is what's stupid.

First off no need to get insulting, we're just all stating our opinions...

It isn't really an Independant film. I'm not sure if it was financed by the Weinstein company, but it might as well have been as Kevin has pretty much an open door to get anything he shoots distributed by them nationwide. The Weinsteins are a major studio, a "mini-major" perhaps, but outside of the defenition of independant cinema nonetheless.

(I could be tottaly wrong, I don't work in the 'Biz so anyone who knows feel free to correct me) It depends, Weinstiens might of just paid 5 million for distribution rights in which case the movie by definition would be an independent.

Wedding Crashers came out in July, as have plenty of other low(er) budget comedic hits, as well as throughout the other parts of Blockbuster season.

Last summer was the summer of the comedies to be fair. Also if I remember correctly Wedding Crashers got incredibly good reviews and word of mouth, the trailers also made it look hilarious. I'm sorry but the trailers for Clerks 2 do not look nearly as hilarious. Also there's a big difference between Clerks 2 and Wedding Crashers, well the first is one is a studio flick and the other is independent. And here's the thing studio films to the mainstream are "safe", but ont he flipside by now Kevin Smith might have gain enough recognition for his previous work at least with the teenage crowd, I still hear Jay and Silent Bob spoke of from time to time. The second difference is Wedding Crashers is a straight out comedy while a Kevin Smith movie usually packs some message or question underneigth, and usually uses his movies to soap box, big difference, one is mindless and feel good, the other is obnoxious and intrusive. I'd take Clerks over Wedding Crashers because WC was lacking in some areas but none the less WC was a very entertaining feel good movie hence why it made so much money.

I don't know if you just completely ignored the details of the post which listed the movies it's now opening against, which clearly don't pose a competative potential towards Clerks. The fandom of Clerks in all its degrees has gone way beyond "cult" status by now.

Calm down... Let's look at the facts shall we... M. Night Shyamalan's movie usually open big, on the surface Horror and Comedy don't have the same demographic but think about it for a moment what are the two genres teenagers flock to see? Horror and COmedy, and no one besides teenagers are going flock to see Clerks 2, except for maybe the 20-40 crowd in whcih case they too want to M. Night Shyamalan's movie. Then you have Monster House I suppose that doesn't effect it directly but it still going come in number 2 while Lady in the Water comes in number 1... Please take a look at last weekend's number...

http://boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/?yr=2006&wknd=20&p=.htm

Notice number 3 and 4 are at 11 and 9 mil, everything after that slumps down.

You just don't know how ******ed you sound saying the notion of Kevin and the Weinsteins making back the FIVE MILLION DOLLARS it took to make the movie is not only difficult but the shift of them now doing it in July is actually "suicide".

First off you shot yourself in the foot by being insulting, because Matt merely posting his opinion and secondyou really didn't post anything credible other than the common sense. Now I disagree with Matt in the sense that'll it'll make back it's money but I'll agree wiht Matt if the studios think there going make anything more than usual Kevin Smith fare.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"