Cobra Kai - (The Karate Kid Spin-Off)

I just got into this show this year too and I was floored at how good this is. And yes, the fight scenes between these young kids runs rings around stuff like Iron Fist and the Defenders.

Yeah, while kids aren’t all the best actors and some of their dialogue and motivations are bad, they do well with the fight choreography. Much better than crap like Iron Fist.

The first three Karate Kid movies are on Netflix now. Gonna have to watch Part III before season 4 hits.

what about 4th one I know they had 1 to 3 before the new season started but not 4th.

I just checked they have all 4.

Ugh... not another cliffhanger. At least it has a good chance of getting a season 5 even if it is Netflix who usually cancel after 3-4 seasons...

Yeah this is one of their bigger shows that gets a lot of attention, and it's probably not that expensive, so I think it's safe for now.

I don't think a cliffhanger is something to brag about though like it's a good thing...

lol

Yeah, I never understood the hype of a cliffhanger.

"Everything you're about to watch is just leading to more unresolved issues! You'll never get a proper conclusion!"

I need to watch the 3rd movie because I don't remember anything about it.

I did like that season 3 resolved some questions I had from the second movie.

So I watched the Next Karate Kid on Netflix. If Hilary Swank shows up for Season 4, I am curious how they would fit Julie Pierce (her character) into the show when she had no connection with Danny other than Mr. Miyagi.

I'm kind of dreading the cliffhanger. I honestly don't think they can drag the Kreese thing out much longer. I'm loving it so far as it is, especially with Terry Silver coming back, but the ultimate resolution seems to be defeating Kreese and getting Robby back with the "good guys" (possibly Tory as well, though she would be the more difficult of the two to reach based on where they both are now). That makes for a compelling storyline with a lot of dramatic potential and emotional scenes, but I don't know how effective it will be past this point without making it really annoying and drawn out. They apparently have plans for six seasons, but this arc has just enough gas for one, but not any more IMO.

I don't know what they'd fill the last two seasons with, unless they are bringing in Silver specifically to replace Kreese as the Big Bad and his villainous plots are entirely different. It will take some work to top Kreese though. The whole saga of the child abuse and manipulation that he started with Johnny and is continuing with Robby and Tory was a heavier gut punch than I was expecting.

So I watched the Next Karate Kid on Netflix. If Hilary Swank shows up for Season 4, I am curious how they would fit Julie Pierce (her character) into the show when she had no connection with Danny other than Mr. Miyagi.

I think Ralph Macchio confirmed at one point that Daniel and Julie met off-screen at Mr. Miyagi's funeral. I think we would have heard by now if she was involved (unless she's part of the cliffhanger?) but it would be neat to see her at some point. I've seen some theorize that she'd be a good mentor for Tory, which I'd like to see. And definitely an influence Tory desperately needs

Last edited:
I think Ralph Macchio confirmed at one point that Daniel and Julie met off-screen at Mr. Miyagi's funeral. I think we would have heard by now if she was involved (unless she's part of the cliffhanger?) but it would be neat to see her at some point. I've seen some theorize that she'd be a good mentor for Tory, which I'd like to see. And definitely an influence Tory desperately needs

It's not like Hilary is against doing TV, she's done it before, and in fact was on a Netflix show where her character went into space that wasn't picked up for a season two. Tory is similar to Julie in a way, as both were disruptive teens. It's likely that Julie though turned her life around and is likely married with children and having a good job. That movie isn't great but it's a guilty pleasure of mine and I would like to know what happened to her character.

So I watched The Karate Kid Part II and episodes 4 and 5 of season 3 in which Danny went back to Japan. It gave Danny a resolution to his stories from the second movie. Kumiko traveled the world with her dance troupe, eventually lived in London and came back when her aunt got sick. Chozen fell into a state of depression after he lost to Danny, but his uncle helped him get back up off his feet and apologized to Daniel for everything he did and Danny forgave him, which gave him peace of mind. The girl he rescued from the Typhoon helped save his career.

It's not like Hilary is against doing TV, she's done it before, and in fact was on a Netflix show where her character went into space that wasn't picked up for a season two. Tory is similar to Julie in a way, as both were disruptive teens. It's likely that Julie though turned her life around and is likely married with children and having a good job. That movie isn't great but it's a guilty pleasure of mine and I would like to know what happened to her character.

So I watched The Karate Kid Part II and episodes 4 and 5 of season 3 in which Danny went back to Japan. It gave Danny a resolution to his stories from the second movie. Kumiko traveled the world with her dance troupe, eventually lived in London and came back when her aunt got sick. Chozen fell into a state of depression after he lost to Danny, but his uncle helped him get back up off his feet and apologized to Daniel for everything he did and Danny forgave him, which gave him peace of mind. The girl he rescued from the Typhoon helped save his career.

Yeah I really hope Hillary does some episodes for the reasons you listed.

Them utilizing stuff from the sequels, even the bad ones, in neat ways is one of the shows strengths. Chozen's arc in particular was very well done.

lol

Yeah, I never understood the hype of a cliffhanger.

"Everything you're about to watch is just leading to more unresolved issues! You'll never get a proper conclusion!"

I just hope it doesnt overstay its welcome. In this post GOT world we live in, I've grown incredibly cynical that tv shows just cannot maintain their quality past the 5 season mark. I'd hate to see this show go down like GOT and many many shows which were spectacular in their first 4-5 seasons and then fell off a cliff after.

I have faith in this show’s writers and producers, but I would’ve ended this show at season 4. The way this last season played out it’s like they’re gearing us up toward a series finale, but alas. Just hope they don’t become a parody of themselves.

Xolo Mariduena deserved a Emmy nom for that ugly cry he did when he told Johnny to get out his hospital room. Homeboy was snubbed.

‘Cobra Kai’ Emmy Nomination: Co-Creators On Best Comedy Nom & Season 4 – Deadline

Although Heald wouldn’t tease much as to what fans can expect from the upcoming Season 4, he confirmed that shooting has been completed and all episodes are currently in post-production.

“We shot during the thick of [the pandemic] and it was our most difficult production from the standpoint of dealing with the Covid pandemic during an already ambitious shoot,” he said. “We have never been prouder of a season that we’ve put in the can. We’ve seen it and we know we’ve got the goods. We cannot wait for the fans of this franchise to see everything we did this season knowing everything we went through to put that into place. It’s an amazing memory we’ll all have knowing that it was a battle and we won.”

Season 3 set up an unavoidable battle between Samantha LaRusso (Mary Mouser) and Tory Nichols (Peyton List) a la The Next Karate Kid. But would the trio consider making that a spinoff onto its own or weaving it into Season 4 or beyond?

“Sam and Tory are two of our favorite characters in the series and their rivalry is a fresh one that certainly cuts to the core for both of them,” said Hurwitz. “We’re eager for people to see how it plays out in Season 4 because there’s certainly no love lost between those two at the end of Season 3 and there’s a lot more between them going forward. We think it’s a very special season for both those characters.”

It was announced in late May that Thomas Ian Griffith would reprise the role of Terry Silver, the Karate Kid Part 3 baddie who is always there when his old buddy Kreese (Martin Kove) needs him most. So what is he looking like these days?

“People are going to have to tune in to Season 4 to find out,” Schlossberg shared with a laugh. “For now we’ll say we’ve been looking forward to working with Thomas Ian Griffith for a long time and we were very patient with ourselves to find the right moment, and Season 4 is that moment.”

Watching the original series of films… all of these villains and their subordinates are essentially forking nuts. Same with this show.

I just hope it doesnt overstay its welcome. In this post GOT world we live in, I've grown incredibly cynical that tv shows just cannot maintain their quality past the 5 season mark. I'd hate to see this show go down like GOT and many many shows which were spectacular in their first 4-5 seasons and then fell off a cliff after.

Demetri did compare Sam and Robby to Danaerys and Jon in season 2....

Hope that doesn't end up being somewhat prophetic lol.

It’s kinda funny that it was nominated for Best Comedy Series, because I would say it’s only about half a comedy. Though I think Orange Is the New Black also regularly nabbed that nomination too and that show was much more dramatic than this, lol.

It’s kinda funny that it was nominated for Best Comedy Series, because I would say it’s only about half a comedy. Though I think Orange Is the New Black also regularly nabbed that nomination too and that show was much more dramatic than this, lol.

Yeah it's definitely hard to think of it as a straight up comedy. Most of the comedy this last season came from some of Johnny and Miguel's interactions (like the Facebook "photoshoot, coming up with the nonsensical Eagle Fang name, etc), but I can't think of much else that wasn't pretty dramatic and/or dark: Kreese's backstory and psychological manipulation/abuse of the kids, his trying to kill both Johnny and Daniel, Tory's home life, Miguel recovering, Sam's PTSD, the home invasion, Robby's entire situation, etc.

Maybe they should come up with a "Dramedy" category.

I think it’s because those shows don’t have a clear beginning, middle, and end in mind. They just keep going until they run out of stories to tell or their ratings drop and then get canceled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"