Colin Farrell IS The Penguin

Discussion in 'The Batman' started by Kane52630, Nov 5, 2019.

1. Gothamsknight A Dark Knight

I do wonder how they'll incorporate batman's presence into the show because I'm sure there will be at least a peek of him considering the stuff penguin is up to.

2. WayneMB Registered

YESSSSSS

3. Green Goblin Crawling on walls

Is this an origin story?

4. Sawyer High King

I’m less asking about actors and more about characters. There aren’t many solo Penguin stories to go by, so I’m curious if this will mostly be a mob story, if there might be a rogue or two in the mix, etc.

5. Sawyer High King

With the way Reeves has described The Batman, the film essentially sounds like Oswald’s (and Selina’s and Riddler’s) Year One, so I’m not sure I see the necessity in going further back than that. Personally, I think it makes more sense to use this as a bridge to the next film.

emielaen likes this.
  6. Invader Joker Registered

I honestly think it'd be brilliant to introduce Harvey Dent in the show as the new DA that's trying to stop Penguin's tracks. It'd be a good way to use that character again without having to do a TDK style movie origin all over again.
    I feel the other characters will be mostly mobsters, with the way this was described as Scarface inspired. Though some of the mob underlings may be part of the rogues gallery, Firefly can easily work into that for example.

Iceman and emielaen like this.
  7. Green Goblin Crawling on walls

Maybe it'll take place after The Batman but with flashbacks to his past which will further expand on his history etc.

WayneMB and shauner111 like this.
  8. Mistah K88 Registered

One of the things I worry about Penguin is that they'll suck the fun out of him trying to remain "realistic". His concealed weapon umbrella (gun, knife, gas) is something that I fear might not make the cut. Also I wonder if he'll still be a charming gentleman who can paly both sides of crime, the mob's old guard, and the new freaks and weirdos that pop up. I hope he gets to keep making appearances in future films. While I'm not too interested in a series about him where Batman isn't a blip on his radar, I do feel that it may be a way to bring more colorful mobsters around.

9. DKDetective Elementary, Dear Robin (he/him/his)

I don't think that is something to worry about. Reeves found a way to give Catwoman a whip, so I can see Oswald gaining some form of umbrella weapon either here or in the future. Reeves clearly has more appreciation for the iconography and tropes of the comics than say Chris Nolan. However, in accordance with Reeves' gritty noir aesthetic for this film, I wouldn't expect really heightened, fantastical umbrellas like what Burton gave DeVito. I would expect more of a single shot concealed umbrella gun (like the classic cane guns from the 19th century) or a play on a concealed sword in a cane from the same period.

Oswald is definitely going to be "fun"... Reeves seems to let Farrell chew scenery and channel his inner Joe Pesci/Tony Soprano, and I expect the character will be have lots of the black humour for which those characters/actors are known.

CaptainWagner and chintai80 like this.
  10. chintai80 oh hi.

this makes sense from a character standpoint as well.
    he's probably paranoid about being assassinated if he gets to the top of the criminal food chain.
    he'll want to have some concealed weapons on hand to defend himself, with the element of surprise as his advantage.

DKDetective likes this.
  11. Lautox Registered

A bulgarian umbrella

MilkmanDan and DKDetective like this.
  12. Invader Joker Registered

https://www.moviemaker.com/the-batman-matt-reeves-detective-story/2/

Colin Farrell, like Reeves, first knew Batman from the campy TV series. One of the more outlandish characters in the Caped Crusader’s rotating rogues gallery of villains was The Penguin, portrayed by a scenery- and quellazaire-chomping Burgess Meredith as a grumpy, gaudy parody of an aristocrat, with a top hat, tuxedo, tails, monocle, long cigarette, and predilections for birds, ice, and bat-traps that never quite work.

Reeves saw him differently.

Colin Farrell’s Oz, who prefers not to be called The Penguin, is the shady proprietor of The Iceberg Lounge, a Gotham underworld hangout, doing the bidding of reclusive crime lord Carmine Falcone.

“There’s a certain amount of brokenness in Oz that, I think, as a reference, not for me performance-wise, but just emotionally, as a reference for Matt — I think Fredo from The Godfather was a bit of a reference,” says Farrell.

Played by John Cazale, Fredo Corleone is the weak son of Vito Corleone, who is stepped over by his more capable younger brother, Michael Corleone (Al Pacino), and in turn betrays him. Farrell’s performance is by no means an imitation of Cazale’s — he’s doing something entirely new, and is unrecognizable thanks to the work of makeup artist Mike Marino. But he shares Fredo’s sense of being stepped over.

“Matt was just talking about somebody who had very real and very lofty ambitions, but never really had the opportunity or the chance to explore them, and was maybe looked upon as someone who was handicapped, whether it was psychologically, intellectually — Fredo was frowned upon as less than the other brothers, and maybe Oz as well, in his life, was looked upon as somebody who wasn’t capable,” says Farrell. “And so that’s one of the things that fuels Oz.”

DKDetective likes this.
  13. SquirrelBallZ Registered

It’s like year one a little because Selina Kyle is making her first appearance sorta as Catwoman, but there’s been numerous citing of long Halloween as major inspiration, which is considered year two.

It is a year one for them though, I think it’s because Batman is just not like “old” completely they have attempted to make the character more contemporary but he’s still like retro future. Nirvana is not exactly new, gosh that’s like 30 years now almost but 90s is relevant or trendy again for some I guess. Batman is like 28 in year one, he would have probably had a grunge phase.

14. signalman Registered

DeadlyUmbrella.png

15. StarLord <<<<<<<<<<

16. antsman41 Unseen Arkham Prisoner

...didn't see until now, that he's got some gold teeth.

17. Gothamsknight A Dark Knight

18. WatchProtect Registered

I wonder if Penguin works FOR Falcone or just with him. Besides the Funeral scene they're not really seen together, I originally thought Penguin was an underling but with the Club, the docks scene ect and the above description sounds like he's mostly a solo act.

19. WayneMB Registered

he is Falcone's lieutenant

#844 WayneMB, Feb 18, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2022
    WatchProtect likes this.
  20. StarLord <<<<<<<<<<

Sounds like the idea of The Penguin having a cigarette holder is out the window! :funny:

He couldn't even get the thumbs up for an unlit cigar.

Gothamsknight likes this.
  21. RokMeAmadeus Registered

It's supposed to be a "Noir" film. Name ONE Noir film where nobody is smoking lol. The MPAA is a joke.

3rdstone likes this.
  22. Eddie Dean Jokerfied

Name one? What about The Batman?

WatchProtect likes this.
  23. Gothamsknight A Dark Knight

When did the smoking thing become an issue?

24. JackWhite Third Man

It's why we needed that R rating!

WatchProtect and Gothamsknight like this.