College...do we really need it?

Pssh, references are for people who can't come up with anything on their own.

Darren Daring said:
Pssh, references are for people who can't come up with anything on their own.
You're just mad because he obliterated you with such finesse.

Calvin said:
Check and mate. What an obscure reference :up:

I didn't think anyone would catch that. You get 10 Conspiracy Bucks, redeemable at TheSumOfGod Giftshop.

jag

No, whoever he referenced obliterated me, jag's just talking about his pecs.

I think college is very useful for some careers, but everything I learned from college came from outside the classroom. I'm not using any of the knowledge I learned inside the classroom in my job right now. That being said it was the best four and a half years of my life. I understand people not going
ito college because of the cost, but if you have the means go because it can be a great experience if you make the most of it. It's also the most unique experience you can ever have, you're completely surrounded by people in your age group, they only time that'll happen other than the old folk's home.

Which do you think would look worse on your resume?

Little experience or no Bachelor's?

While your in college, you can at least get some work experience while your there, either working at campus shops or through internships. It also helps you build friendships that could save your career later on in life, as well as developing leadership skills. That is, of course, if you use the university's programs well.

And frankly, screw the money. I'd rather be a poor scholar than a financially stable truck driver. Why settle for simple mediocrity?

People go for college for two reasons - to have freedom from their parents and to step up in that last semester to barely pass in order to get the bachelor's. Bachelor's degrees and degrees in general have always supposedly been the only way to get a decent career, but I've seen far too many people in high paying spots minus the education to do so, and too many guys I've gone to school with that have bachelor's working at Mickey D's. I have yet to get my degree, but I take classes on occasion at age 28, and I may get it one of these days, but I'm doing decent right now as a web marketing manager at a semi well known software company, so you know.

Calvin said:
You don't need to be rich. My stuff cost me about 100 bucks total, for the weight bench and weights and a heavy bag.
Well you'd need a squat rack and a bench press (you can also use these for deadlifts), and I would say thats non debatable (the exercises are too important). Then you'll need a free weight rack...probably that goes up to at least 50lbs dumbells plus all safety equipment and probably a stretch mat. Then you'll need cardio, running and swimming can take care of that. So right now a complete home gym looks to run you well over 1000 dollars for a home gym.

jaguarr said:
I didn't think anyone would catch that. You get 10 Conspiracy Bucks, redeemable at TheSumOfGod Giftshop.

jag

Good one.

ShadowBoxing said:
Well you'd need a squat rack and a bench press (you can also use these for deadlifts), and I would say thats non debatable (the exercises are too important). Then you'll need a free weight rack...probably that goes up to at least 50lbs dumbells plus all safety equipment and probably a stretch mat. Then you'll need cardio, running and swimming can take care of that. So right now a complete home gym looks to run you well over 1000 dollars for a home gym.
No, like Jag said, there are plenty of ways to accomplish that stuff without buying equipment. Seriously, there are a lot of things you can do with household s**t to accomplish a fairly comprehensive workout. You won't get 100%, but you can get 95%. And beyond that, unless you're gunning for Mr. Universe, who cares?

ShadowBoxing has obvioulsy never watched Rocky IV. :o

Erzengel said:
Masters aren't always beneficial. I have a degree in civil engineering if I went for a masters it would pigeon hole me into a certain field that I may not want to be in after a few years. My best bet would get a mba so I could run my own company someday. But I hated schooling and never really applied myself as much as I should. I could have gotten A's but settled for B's and C's.

thats how im actually amright now, i just settle for stuff. your thinking about starting a compnay?

Maybe I'm not quite sure yet. I'm very happy where I am and I'm just trying to get my PE right now.

I think I"m gonna go mug someone and see how that goes.

dialog-vega1.gif
Well, if you guys are trying to get into Aeronaugtics, space and technology engineering, or biology and genetics than you need a an advanced degree. Now if you guys are just trying to make some good money than all you guys need are certificates, permits, and licenses. I'm ASE Certified and all I had to do was study for this test for 6 months and have atleast 2 YEARS OF EXPERIENCE. Now I got it and can work at any dealership for 60,000 a year.

dialog-vega2.gif
6 months of studying people!! Most high school and college counselors will try to rip you off by telling you that you NEED atleast a bachalors degree to be making that kind of money. I'm also working on getting my class A license which allows me to drive construction machinary and cranes. All this for just under $3,0000. You can also get a real estate license as well for $4,000 and sell 2 houses for $8,000-10,000.

Calvin said:
I think I"m gonna go mug someone and see how that goes.

Start with Bison he seems to be making good money. :) :up:

Vega_10.gif
I don't even HAVE pockets in this uniform. So good luck trying to take anything of any value.

Take his shoes and maybe his hat then.

dialog-vega2.gif
K' now that was just uncalled for! My hat is like the Ark of the Covenant. You DON'T touch it and live.

The Runaway said:
If college was really as important then why is it that 20-30 years ago, you could make a life for yourself with just a high school diploma. Now it seems that if you don't get a college degree, you are a failure. I think this is a little unfair to today's younger generation and puts even more pressure on the next generation. No wonder there are so many sucicidial emo kids out there. Comments? Rebutals?
Suicidal emo kids cant deal with real life. They ***** about problems that aren't real problems. College is the least of their worries.

Calvin said:
No, like Jag said, there are plenty of ways to accomplish that stuff without buying equipment. Seriously, there are a lot of things you can do with household s**t to accomplish a fairly comprehensive workout. You won't get 100%, but you can get 95%. And beyond that, unless you're gunning for Mr. Universe, who cares?

And even then, look at the overall costs involved if you DO invest in some gym equipment. I've got a powerrack, some mats, a bench, a kabillion weights (adjustable dumbbell handles so no need to keep buying new DB's when I need them) and an elliptical machine plus various accoutrements like canvas straps, gloves, powerhooks, Grizzly Belt and the like. I've got maybe $1700 or so invested as I've picked all this stuff up here and there. The upside is that it's mine. I can use it whenever I like and take it with me when I move. When you start looking at what gyms charge for a membership, I've already recouped my investment several times over. It's money in MY pocket, not some gym who is going to scream when I chalk up and start doing heavy dead lifts or cleans and scaring the cardio bunnies and a-holes doing curls in the squat rack.

jag

The Runaway said:
If college was really as important then why is it that 20-30 years ago, you could make a life for yourself with just a high school diploma. Now it seems that if you don't get a college degree, you are a failure. I think this is a little unfair to today's younger generation and puts even more pressure on the next generation. No wonder there are so many sucicidial emo kids out there. Comments? Rebutals?
20 or 30 years ago the job market was far different than it is today. The job field is much more competitive and its no longer the primarily a manufacturing or skilled labor market it used to be. We have almost full employment now, however most of Americas new and rising fields are in the technical and service related job market. Technicians, analysts, computer programers, service representitives, and people with new and innovative solutions are becoming the norm. Some of this is due to outsourcing, something that would have been considerably more expensive in the 1960s, 1970s and even the 1980s. Communications and the global network just wasn't where it is today. Also job security was not so much of a question back then. We did not live in as fast a world 10 years ago and certainly not a fast paced a world 50+ years ago. Now downsizing, restructuring and changes in management and protocals are more prevelent than ever. Its not good enough to be on the ball anymore, you have to be ahead of the curve, into the jobs of tomorrow. So thats why the basic intelligence given to you by High School just is not enough anymore. Furthermore America has the best Graduate schools and undegraduate colleges in the world, so take advantage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"