College...do we really need it?

Hades said:
Yes, it's depressing. There's a good chance i won't even graduate highschool.
Both my parents are drop outs and they've maganged to be decently sucessfull at what they do. But if i drop out, i'm pretty much screwed.

You should do what I did and finish high school through correspondence, through the mail. I always got good grades during regular high school (a constant average of 95-96% grades), but the f***tarded bullies made my life a living hell, and it kept getting worse, so I essentially said "I don't need this s**t!" and got my diploma at home instead.

TheSumOfGod said:
You should do what I did and finish high school through correspondence, through the mail. I always got good grades during regular high school (a constant average of 95-96% grades), but the f***tarded bullies made my life a living hell, and it kept getting worse, so I essentially said "I don't need this s**t!" and got my diploma at home instead.
So...homeschooling basically?

TheSumOfGod said:
Yep. I.C.S., mother f***er! ;)
I.C.S.?
anyway, i've tried homeschooling before, didn't work out.
oh well, i'll survive...somewhow.

Hades said:
I.C.S.?
anyway, i've tried homeschooling before, didn't work out.
oh well, i'll survive...somewhow.

Or you'll become a homeless crystal meth addict, prostituting himself for whatever loose change a stranger has in his pocket. But then you'll write a book about it and make millions. So cheer up. :)

TheSumOfGod said:
Or you'll become a homeless crystal meth addict, prostituting himself for whatever loose change a stranger has in his pocket. But then you'll write a book about it and make millions. So cheer up. :)
There's always been one thing i've always wanted to do in my life, and if i fail that i figure i'd just join the army..but if that even fails. I'd probably just become a bum, honestly i wouldn't care. Then agian i kind of have a romanticized view of everything...

Hades said:
There's always been one thing i've always wanted to do in my life, and if i fail that i figure i'd just join the army..but if that even fails. I'd probably just become a bum, honestly i wouldn't care. Then agian i kind of have a romanticized view of everything...

Ah yes, the glorious, sweeping love story/epic saga that is the life of a bum...

TheSumOfGod said:
Ah yes, the glorious, sweeping love story/epic saga that is the life of a bum...
Obviously. Eating out of the garbage, sleeping in boxes, eating cats etc.

Actually i always wanted to become a hermit, move to the mountains, marry a goat, and then throw rocks at kids who got to close to my home.

No undergraduate degree means a difficult time finding a job that's going to pay very well. It's the way of the world, whether people really like it or not. In fact, it's becoming increasingly difficult to get promotions without a Master's degree of some kind.

jag

Depends on what your major is. Mine is film, and no...you do not need film schooling.

Holly Goodhead said:
Depends on what your major is. Mine is film, and no...you do not need film schooling.

If you want to work for a studio, you do. :)

jag

jaguarr said:
If you want to work for a studio, you do. :)

jag

Youre wrong. If you know the right people, you can get anywhere in Hollywood.
Film school < Hands on experience via apprentice

Holly Goodhead said:
Youre wrong. If you know the right people, you can get anywhere in Hollywood.
Film school < Hands on experience via apprentice

How many people actually know the right people in Hollywood, though? Not everyone's made an imprint on the Director's couch like you have. :o

jag

jaguarr said:
How many people actually know the right people in Hollywood, though? Not everyone's made an imprint on the Director's couch like you have. :o

jag

Thats their problem. :)

Masters aren't always beneficial. I have a degree in civil engineering if I went for a masters it would pigeon hole me into a certain field that I may not want to be in after a few years. My best bet would get a mba so I could run my own company someday. But I hated schooling and never really applied myself as much as I should. I could have gotten A's but settled for B's and C's.

depends on the job... sure theres always luck to get you foot in the biz, but its alot easier when u have a degree... and you dont have to depend on luck

Holly Goodhead said:
Thats their problem. :)

I see. :) I'm not disagreeing that knowing the right people can make a HUGE difference in someone's career. That's pretty true no matter what industry you're in. But a degree, even if it's in an unrelated field, tends to open more doors than if you didn't have one.

jag

Erzengel said:
Masters aren't always beneficial. I have a degree in civil engineering if I went for a masters it would pigeon hole me into a certain field that I may not want to be in after a few years. My best bet would get a mba so I could run my own company someday. But I hated schooling and never really applied myself as much as I should. I could have gotten A's but settled for B's and C's.

An MBA is still a Master's. :)

jag

I know. I meant getting a masters in the engineering field.

Erz, give me career advice.

Erzengel said:
I know. I meant getting a masters in the engineering field.

:D Your story is similar to mine, actually, though my B.A. is in Communication. About the only thing a Masters in Comm. would enable me to do is teach at the college level and Lord knows I don't want to do that. Look what it did to Daisy. :o I've been hesitant to pursue an MBA as well, because I've seen soooooo many people put themselves through that hell and then get absolutely NOTHING out of it in return where financial and promotional opportunities are concerned. I'm pretty happy with where I'm at in the corporate food chain and don't really want any more responsibility and have too many other things I'd rather pursue with my time than an MBA.

jag

Political Science is a huge field last time I read things about it. Are you interested in going further with your schooling? What part of ps do you like or enjoy american politics, relations or something else?

College is like going to the gym. You pay a whole bunch of money for a gym membership, yet I know people who don't improve one bit from when they first set foot in that gym. In college you get out what you put in. If you think there are better ways to get drunk and have tons of sex then you might also think that there are better ways than signing up for fitness clubs to go socialize. However if you are looking to get in shape the fitness club is your only true option. Similarly if you are looking to be smart and well rounded (and well adjusted) College is your only answer.

College is NOT High School, they do not treat you like a baby and guide you allong. People can coast through college by taking easy classes, cramming, cheating, not showing up for class, etc. Why? because College expects YOU to do the work, not your Professor. They are not going to give you a bunch of homework you are expected to do by tomorrow and a bunch of tests to break up the material for you, they give you generally a midterm and a final (sometimes four if they are nice).

College is the only institution that teaches you to critically think about things because they rarely if ever teach you an opinion, they tend to give you books filled with facts and expect you to analyze said facts. Or they make you read two books from both sides of an argument and expect you to find some common ground. There you learn how to research, analyze, structure an argument, debate, discuss, solve and identify problems. These are things you cannot just get from reading a book.

Erzengel said:
Political Science is a huge field last time I read things about it. Are you interested in going further with your schooling? What part of ps do you like or enjoy american politics, relations or something else?
Hm, both of those. I was thinking about going into grad school for writing though, at a professor's suggestion. Is there anything you can do with the degree to start off with though? I feel like I have to get a scrub job until I get a masters or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"