Comfort movies

DyeLorean

...and the plot thickens
Reaction score
In this topic forget the words "bad" or "good". This is all about feeling.
Which are your comfort movies? Those that when you're having a bad day or you just don't want to see something new, you pop on your player to make you feel safe again?

Sneakers, Hot Fuzz, Begin Again, Moana, Mistress America, Haywire, Lincoln, Pineapple Express.

The Prestige too. Not sure which Pixar, more specifically than the others, so just count the majority of them. Ditto Wes Anderson’s work.

Edit: True Grit (2010). Paper Moon. The Drop.

Last edited:
I like watching animated films such as Up, Finding Nemo and The Secret Life of Pets.

Reactions: CJ
I'll put Michael Mann's Heat on pretty often. The Other Guys if I want to laugh. I once watched office Space several times in a day in between naps when I got depressed once.

The Peanuts Movie -- not a perfect Peanuts film (A Boy Named Charlie Brown, Snoopy Come Home, and Bon Voyage are better, not to mention the early specials) but has a little of everything great about them.

Spirited Away -- the best animated adventure ever made. Like all Miyazaki's best work, a kind and decent film that manages to make goodness exciting, a rare cinematic achievement

Only Yesterday -- the best animated feature ever made, period. Takahata's masterpiece, a perfectly animated, paced, directed, voice-acted film about how memories follow you all your life and corner you until you're forced to deal with them (the Japanese title is Memories Come Tumbling Down).

Millennium Mambo -- a dreamlike meditation on growing up at the turn of the millennium as a young woman looks back ten years at the choices that almost destroyed her. Wonderfully acted by Qi Shu, beautifully directed by Hou Hsiao-Hsien.

Rebels of the Neon God -- a portrait of 90's Taiwanese youth that oddly mirrors my American one, down to the arcades and mysterious but nice pretty girls.

Poppoya -- a beautiful ghost story in which a dead daughter returns to teach her father how to move on with his life. Underrated gem.

Last edited:
The Back to the Future trilogy, American Pie 1, 2 and Reunion, GOTG 1 and 2, American Psycho, The Breakfast Club, Ferris Bueller, The Last Starfighter, and if I can throw a TV series in there, Sense 8.

Office Space, Scream, Space Jam, Jurassic Park, and Animal House

BTTF is a film I can come back too again & again and it feels like, when I watch it, it's for the first time all over again. Never tire of seeing this film. Maximum enjoyment from watching it every time.

That or any Spielberg really.

Biggles : Adventures in Time, purely for it's nostalgia value. Underrated classic in my book, and killer soundtrack. 80's cheese at it's finest.

Here is the trailer for this 'classic' film....

Last edited:
  1. The Girl Who Leaped Through Time
  2. The Lion King
  3. The Green Mile
  4. Shawshank Redemption
  5. The Help
  6. RoboCop
  7. Batman (1989)
  8. The Punisher (2004)
  9. Street Fighter (1994)
  10. Batman the Movie
Lots of 'The'

Reactions: CJ
I forgot The Lego Batman movie. I don't care if it is Lego, it's still one of the best Batman films ever made.

Biggles : Adventures in Time, purely for it's nostalgia value. Underrated classic in my book, and killer soundtrack. 80's cheese at it's finest.

Here is the trailer for this 'classic' film....

I had a copy on tape....but it broke years ago. Haven't seen the movie in 20 years. It's one of those that I want a copy but keep forget to look for it. Need it for my Peter Cushing collection.

Guardians of the Galaxy vol 1

I love this movie, because at the end they save the universe with the power of friendship. Doesn't get any better than that. Never get tired of this film.

About a Boy

That is a great movie. Although they gloss over a lot of it with humour its quite an emotional film.

That bit at the end where Will realises that his life is utterly meaningless, that's heavy.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey. Less dark and weighty than the other films in the series, and it truly emphasizes the values of home and family. Good comfort movie, in my opinion (made so, specifically, by Martin Freeman being so perfectly quaint and whimsical).
Though I feel like, after a few more viewings, Antman & The Wasp will also prove to be a good comfort film for me.

Guardians of the Galaxy volume one. That movie came out and actually helped me get out of a dark time when I needed it most. I feel it has a fun factor to it and is just enjoyable. Also the original Ghostbusters. Always enjoy that movie.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey. Less dark and weighty than the other films in the series, and it truly emphasizes the values of home and family. Good comfort movie, in my opinion (made so, specifically, by Martin Freeman being so perfectly quaint and whimsical).
Though I feel like, after a few more viewings, Antman & The Wasp will also prove to be a good comfort film for me.

Glad you enjoyed Unexpected Journey, I was in it for 7 seconds ( I was an extra, hopefully you enjoyed my performance...LOL, blink and you'd miss me.). TBH I prefer LOTR, but I couldn't get into those because I was living too far from where they were made. I think everyone in NZ knows somebody who worked in those films. I stood behind Martin Freeman in the cafeteria line for tea one day, he really has those Hobbit mannerisms in real life (especially the way he stands). BTW Andy Serkis is world's nicest guy !

Guardians of the Galaxy volume one. That movie came out and actually helped me get out of a dark time when I needed it most. I feel it has a fun factor to it and is just enjoyable. Also the original Ghostbusters. Always enjoy that movie.

Same page with GOTG VOL 1. At that time I was working 70 hour weeks and under a lot of pressure. Saw GOTG in 3D and it lifted my spirits. Strange eh, because it starts with such a sad scene - something I could personally relate to, cause my mum passed pretty much just like that- but then Pete's dancing in the ruined temple and somehow the mood just lifts. Yeah GOTG is def my number one comfort movie. Very glad to hear it lifted your spirits during a tough time.

Last edited:
Mamma Mia!
Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again
Clueless
Enchanted
The Devil Wears Prada
Julie & Julia
Spy
Bridesmaids
Charlie's Angels
Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle
Wanted