Superman Returns Comparison between Superman and Richard

Strange said:
Richard is like the human version of Superman, i doubt he would ever become a villian.

you never know...sometimes the greatest villains are the fallen heros

Lucifer anyone??

Superman79 said:
you never know...sometimes the greatest villains are the fallen heros

Lucifer anyone??

You are right and Lucifer fell over jealousy so maybe.

Strange said:
Jason draws a picture of Superman flying and he is holding onto Lois, who the kid labels mommy, and she is holding onto Richards hand, who he labled Dad and Richard has a hold of Jason's hand, who he lables me. It pretty much shows Superman rescuing them and flying them to safety and Jason gives the picture to Lois. So in the kids eye's Richard is his Dad and I don't see that really changing.

like I said in another thread...after all this hook-up/marriage/parenting drama is over this kid is gonna need a butt'load of therapy... :rolleyes:

I'm not disputing that Richard isn't the boy's father. That has been my point in the beginning when people were trying to use Singer's comments to prove it couldn't possibly be Superman's. Anyway, he has been raising the child since birth, at least according to the novel, so for all intents and purposes he is the boy's father.

Personally though, I would just like to see Clark and Lois form a bond and raise the child as a couple...which means Richard needs to exit stage left. I don't like the blended family idea, but I could deal with it. I think the heroic death suits him better, but that's just me.

charl_huntress said:
I'm not disputing that Richard isn't the boy's father. That has been my point in the beginning when people were trying to use Singer's comments to prove it couldn't possibly be Superman's. Anyway, he has been raising the child since birth, at least according to the novel, so for all intents and purposes he is the boy's father.

Personally though, I would just like to see Clark and Lois form a bond and raise the child as a couple...which means Richard needs to exit stage left. I don't like the blended family idea, but I could deal with it. I think the heroic death suits him better, but that's just me.

I agree. But at the same time, a bitter hateful villian woudl work for me too.

I haven't seen the movie, but I do agree that at some point in the sequels, Richard will have to go. Superman can't make a move to Lois because it'll make his character look bad; Lois can't make a move because it'll make her look bad. A heroic death for Richard sounds appealing, but it can easily be a cop-out, not to mention it makes Supes look like he's a consolation prize since the 'real love' has passed.

My opinion, Richard will have to be the one to step out. He and Lois' relationship will have to dissolve because he knows that no matter how hard he tries or she tries to make it work, she's in love with someone else. It'll make Richard look noble for accepting that fact, and also give Lois and Clark the opportunity to be together.

Oh, and in additon to Richard leaving...can we get the kid a freakin haircut for the sequel??? Please?!?!

Superman79 said:
Oh, and in additon to Richard leaving...can we get the kid a freakin haircut for the sequel??? Please?!?!

maybe Superman will use his heat vision to give the kid a hair cut and then he accidentally fries his brain.

Strange said:
maybe Superman will use his heat vision to give the kid a hair cut and then he accidentally fries his brain.

Intriguing....it might just work...

You'd get rid of the kid, AND you'd add the fact Supes would feel so horrible, creating more angst and depression drama that everyone seems to love so much...hmm...

What ever happens just cut his damned hair!! That is one thing I CANNNOT stand about the kid is how he looks like a scrub. The only thing worse would be to give the kid a mullet

Strange said:
Richard is like the human version of Superman, i doubt he would ever become a villian.

Being emotionally destroyed by lost love makes a man do crazy things, go through crazy changes. Not everyone has the willpower of Superman ya know.

Strange said:
Jason draws a picture of Superman flying and he is holding onto Lois, who the kid labels mommy, and she is holding onto Richards hand, who he labled Dad and Richard has a hold of Jason's hand, who he lables me. It pretty much shows Superman rescuing them and flying them to safety and Jason gives the picture to Lois. So in the kids eye's Richard is his Dad and I don't see that really changing.

In young Jason's eyes it will go like this -

Richard = Johnathan Kent
Superman = Jor-El

Superman79 said:
I agree. But at the same time, a bitter hateful villian woudl work for me too.

Naw...remember this is the man who has been raising Superman's son and sleeping with his woman. Let him stay a good guy, just kill him off.

charl_huntress said:
Naw...remember this is the man who has been raising Superman's son and sleeping with his woman. Let him stay a good guy, just kill him off.

I disagree......it would be much more emotional and psychological with Richard as the villian, and thats the kind of villian that will be needed for the sequel.

Plus, killing him off is a copout, and copouts suck!

retconned said:

Richard = Johnathan Kent
Superman = Jor-El

I agree. I think the child will take what values he learned from Richard, and when he dies it will make living up to those values just as important as living up to the heroic deeds of biological father, who will now be raising him:up:

See how that works out!

retconned said:

Richard = Johnathan Kent
Superman = Jor-El

see, I can't stand that. Lois and Superman HAVE to be together I don't care who says what...Lois and Superman end up together which means that Richard is GONE...to where and how, I don't care.

retconned said:

Richard = Johnathan Kent
Superman = Jor-El
EXACTLY what I was hoping someone would see. Very good. :up:

retconned said:
I disagree......it would be much more emotional and psychological with Richard as the villian, and thats the kind of villian that will be needed for the sequel.

Plus, killing him off is a copout, and copouts suck!

Killing him is a copout? Why because people like me are predicting it. What if Singer makes his death really unexpected in the movie, so you don't see it coming. I don't get this cop-out thing because that could be applied to almost every element of a story. You could say green K is a cop-out, but you probably wouldn't unless someone did it in a totally expected way. It's all in execution, and I think Richard dying, unexpectedly to save someone would e a fitting end to his saga.

As for a pyschological villian, I say save that for Bats. Why does everyone want to see a Batman villian in the Superman universe. Bats' villians don't work. They are crazy because he is crazy. I'm not saying we can't have a crazy, whacked out villian, but...well...that all just sounds like Batman. I'd rather see Doomsday than some Joker-esque copykat

Superman79 said:
see, I can't stand that. Lois and Superman HAVE to be together I don't care who says what...Lois and Superman end up together which means that Richard is GONE...to where and how, I don't care.

They definitely need to be together:up:

Richard will get "John Jamisoned" if you know what i mean. Lois will simply leave him hanging, and Richard is no fool [i hope not] he will relise standing in supermans way is not a good idea.

Poor guy cant catch a break in the X-men movies jean looked like she wanted logan, and in (thats right my girlfriend made me watch it and i admit it was good) the notebook he lost out to the other guy now Supes.

ReTrO JuNkIe 42 said:
Poor guy cant catch a break in the X-men movies jean looked like she wanted logan, and in (thats right my girlfriend made me watch it and i admit it was good) the notebook he lost out to the other guy now Supes.

you watched the Notebook.......lol:eek:

Have you seen Broke back mountain as well bro? lol

Eros said:

LOL...I know I am one of the FEW girls who have not seen The Notebook. LOL...I heard it's good and it probably is, but I'm not a fan of Sparks.
LOL...I haven't seen BBM either because it's a common romance except the hero and hero are homosexual, nothing new about that IMO.

As a huge romance reader, those tales simply don't appeal to me, which is one of the reasons I would prefer Richard White to die. That type of blended family stuff is nice in real life but it doesn't play well all the time and doesn't usually work in a romance, and I especially can't see it playing well in a Superman movie. Huge amounts of angsty romance like Danielle Steele and Sparks isn't my cup of tea either. Smallville is starting to rack up point in that department, but that's here nor there.

Yes, he could become a villian. That could be interesting, but that would negate him being a Superman copykat. He's a good guy for a reason. He should go out like a good guy in the end.

Eros said:

come on notebook is a chick flick and brokeback is a di... uh well you get it and with all the sports and cartoons my girlfriend has to put up with i owed her that . Just in case you didnt get my point I WOULD NEVER WATCH Broke back mountain :)

charl_huntress said:
As a huge romance reader, those tales simply don't appeal to me, which is one of the reasons I would prefer Richard White to die. That type of blended family stuff is nice in real life but it doesn't play well all the time and doesn't usually work in a romance, and I especially can't see it playing well in a Superman movie. Huge amounts of angsty romance like Danielle Steele and Sparks isn't my cup of tea either. Smallville is starting to rack up point in that department, but that's here nor there.

Yes, he could become a villian. That could be interesting, but that would negate him being a Superman copykat. He's a good guy for a reason. He should go out like a good guy in the end.

I agree that whatever happends to Richard, he should stay honorable. If Richard is the human version of Superman (just to say), then wouldn't him turning evil mean that under the same circumstances, Supes could, too? That's just my view.

I do think they need to have romance and inner-conflict, however. Maybe not as big an Danielle Steele, but enough to bring some depth. Though I will agree that Smallville's is getting very tiresome. Let's just kill Lana and get it over with.

charl_huntress said:
=Personally though, I would just like to see Clark and Lois form a bond and raise the child as a couple...which means Richard needs to exit stage left.

nahhhh i wanna see supes tag something NEW!!!!:up:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"