Constantine General Discussion Thread - Part 1

http://www.deadline.com/2013/09/dc-comics-constantine-daniel-cerone-david-goyer-nbc-warner-bros-tv/
Adaptation Of DC Comics’ Constantine From Daniel Cerone & David Goyer Lands At NBC
By NELLIE ANDREEVA

EXCLUSIVE: Warner Bros. TV and DC Comics are on a roll this development season with a third high-profile project. Constantine, a drama based on the characters in DC Comics’ John Constantine stories, has sold to NBC with penalty. It is written/executive produced by The Mentalist executive producer Daniel Cerone and David S. Goyer, the go-to writer for Warner Bros.’ feature DC adaptations. Constantine centers on John Constantine, an enigmatic and irreverent con man-turned-reluctant supernatural detective who is thrust into the role of defending us against dark forces from beyond.

The character, which first appeared in 1985 as a recurring character in the horror series The Saga Of The Swamp Thing, was created by Alan Moore, Steve Bissette and Jamie Delano. He was portrayed by Keanu Reeves in the 2005 feature Constantine and is rumored to be featured in the Justice League Dark feature Warner Bros. has in the works with Guillermo del Toro.

Constantine joins Warner Bros. TV/DC’s The Flash at the CW, a spinoff from hit Arrow, and a Gotham City/Commissioner Gordon drama at Fox, which has a series commitment. WME-repped Goyer has co-written The Dark Knight, The Dark Knight Rises, Batman Begins, Man Of Steel and the upcoming Batman vs. Superman. On TV, he is the creator/executive producer of Starz’s Da Vinci’s Demons. WME-repped Cerone is the creator/executive producer of Canadian drama Motive, which aired on ABC this summer and is awaiting a second-season renewal.
Alright, now this is one I agree should probably be a cable thing.

Loved the pilot. Can't wait to see more. :up:

How many episodes were ordered?

Loved the pilot. Can't wait to see more. :up:

How many episodes were ordered?

13 so far, but NBC preemptively ordered a few more scripts a few weeks ago, so I imagine that has to bode well.

Originally posted by The Question
Offering an in-universe justification doesn't necessarily fix things. Telling a story long-form is all about building up a rhythm and familiarity with the audience. In-universe justification or no, throwing that off early on might hinder people's ability to get into the show.

Even though I know absolutely nothing about the Constantine/Hellblazer characters and mythology, it was pretty obvious to me that the final scene introduced us to Liv's replacement, so I don't think there's going to be any audience disconnect whatsoever.

Great. I hope that if they do get an extension, they're still able to keep the story tight. I don't want the show to suffer from being drawn out.

Great. I hope that if they do get an extension, they're still able to keep the story tight. I don't want the show to suffer from being drawn out.

Seeing as Cerone mentioned Ep. 10 in the works regarding Chas, it shapping to have the 12-13 episodes before it passes the mic to Hannibal

Seeing as Cerone mentioned Ep. 10 in the works regarding Chas, it shapping to have the 12-13 episodes before it passes the mic to Hannibal

Bryan Fuller has actually said that Hannibal won't be back until April or May. So I think we'll be getting more than just 13. Maybe not a full 22, but more than 13.

Bryan Fuller has actually said that Hannibal won't be back until April or May. So I think we'll be getting more than just 13. Maybe not a full 22, but more than 13.

That late? I had it pegged for a February return.

Still, I'm down for 13-20 eppys

Constantine - Meet Zed Martin (Sneak Peek)

[YT]IS9tpAcFDD0[/YT]

I can see why they got rid of Liv but I'm not sure Zed looks much better.

I think Zed looks interesting. I'm not familiar with the Hellblazer comics yet, so I don't know anything about her. But the tease of her at the end made me look forward to seeing how the connection between her and Constantine plays out.

Zed is a Hellblazer character where as Liv was made up for the show.

Yep as Fallen Angel said Liv was a character made up for the show while Zed was Constantine's love interest and sidekick from the initial Delano Hellblazer comic run.

Using Zed means they can directly adapt storylines from the comic. Liv seemed like a pretty cliché character from the little we saw of her.
I can see why they got rid of Liv but I'm not sure Zed looks much better.
If they are going to borrow heavily from the comics like they said they will then Zed should be awesome. The character is outgoing and has some magical abilities of her own. Zed is central in the conflict between the Resurrection Crusade and the Damnation Army.

Can't wait for Mnemoth the hunger demon from Hellblazer issue one to turn up. Mnemoth was one of my favourite demons.

I hope they adapt the 'Waiting for the Man' issue. That issue was genuinely creepy.

Other than Liv, and a somewhat distracting harpsichord score, I pretty much really liked everything, especially by network TV standards.

And I actually think having Liz as a one-off character works. Constantine's always stumbling through people's lives and dealing with their problems. Liz is just one example.

Glad we're getting Zed next. The drawings of the classic covers was appreciated too, and felt most appropriate for the first episode. I don't need to see them again though.
I wonder what else they'll adapt from Original Sins? The one-off stories seem perfect for the first handful of episodes.

Last edited:
I'm hoping the writers will bring Liv back for a guest stint at some point, especially if the series is a success and ends up being renewed for multiple seasons.

I'm hoping the writers will bring Liv back for a guest stint at some point, especially if the series is a success and ends up being renewed for multiple seasons.

Come to think of it, they could always make her related to Marj and Mercury

Other than Liv, and a somewhat distracting harpsichord score, I pretty much really liked everything, especially by network TV standards.

And I actually think having Liz as a one-off character works. Constantine's always stumbling through people's lives and dealing with their problems. Liz is just one example.

Glad we're getting Zed though. The drawings of the classic covers was appreciated too, and felt most appropriate for the first episode. I don't know need to see them again though. I wonder what else they'll adapt from Original Sins? The one-off stories seem perfect for the first handful of episodes.

Cerone mention adapting #1 as Episode 4 (and will be super faithful adaptiation) as quoted in the last thread

^ Huh? Please elaborate because I don't get the reference.

Marj is John's other girlfriend aside from Zed and Mercury's her teenage daughter. Both play a pivitol role in The Fear Machine arc (#14-22)

^ Thanks.

As I noted, I'm completely ignorant when it comes to the Hellblazer/Constantine characters, comics, and mythology. :)

Premiered with 4.34 million viewers with 1.4 in the demo (down 0.1 from Grimm). Not bad. I hope it holds.

Premiered with 4.34 million viewers with 1.4 in the demo (down 0.1 from Grimm). Not bad. I hope it holds.

Overnight ratings then. I wonder how the Live+3 and Live+7 factor into it and the following episodes?

Going by the comics they should probably bring her back to kill her off.

One of the main tropes about Constantine from the comics and was mentioned in the pilot is that his supporting cast tended to get killed off.

Friends, family and girlfriends. Even Constantine's acquaintances like his land lady brother of someone he dated once gets killed off in the comics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"