Constantine General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sawyer

Definitely Not 40
Reaction score
http://www.deadline.com/2013/09/dc-comics-constantine-daniel-cerone-david-goyer-nbc-warner-bros-tv/
Adaptation Of DC Comics’ Constantine From Daniel Cerone & David Goyer Lands At NBC
By NELLIE ANDREEVA

EXCLUSIVE: Warner Bros. TV and DC Comics are on a roll this development season with a third high-profile project. Constantine, a drama based on the characters in DC Comics’ John Constantine stories, has sold to NBC with penalty. It is written/executive produced by The Mentalist executive producer Daniel Cerone and David S. Goyer, the go-to writer for Warner Bros.’ feature DC adaptations. Constantine centers on John Constantine, an enigmatic and irreverent con man-turned-reluctant supernatural detective who is thrust into the role of defending us against dark forces from beyond.

The character, which first appeared in 1985 as a recurring character in the horror series The Saga Of The Swamp Thing, was created by Alan Moore, Steve Bissette and Jamie Delano. He was portrayed by Keanu Reeves in the 2005 feature Constantine and is rumored to be featured in the Justice League Dark feature Warner Bros. has in the works with Guillermo del Toro.

Constantine joins Warner Bros. TV/DC’s The Flash at the CW, a spinoff from hit Arrow, and a Gotham City/Commissioner Gordon drama at Fox, which has a series commitment. WME-repped Goyer has co-written The Dark Knight, The Dark Knight Rises, Batman Begins, Man Of Steel and the upcoming Batman vs. Superman. On TV, he is the creator/executive producer of Starz’s Da Vinci’s Demons. WME-repped Cerone is the creator/executive producer of Canadian drama Motive, which aired on ABC this summer and is awaiting a second-season renewal.
Alright, now this is one I agree should probably be a cable thing.

Make an offer to Paul Bettany, or if they've got really big bucks- Ewan McGregor

FOX apparently approached Bettany when they were casting Ichabod Crane for Sleepy Hollow, so it might not be out of the question.

nah it's in a good place...NBC pushes the envelope...look at Hannibal

Hannibal is more the exception than their usual type of series. But there's always a chance...

With Goyer's involvement in this, as well as DC's attempt to start a shared universe with Superman vs. Batman... could they end up using the same actor for this and the film GDT is planning?

All it takes is one

Hannibal is more the exception than their usual type of series. But there's always a chance...

With Goyer's involvement in this, as well as DC's attempt to start a shared universe with Superman vs. Batman... could they end up using the same actor for this and the film GDT is planning?

Would be cool. I wish we were seeing Del Toro's name in here somewhere to be sure.

If using this as a launching pad for Justice League Dark is even a possibility, it would make even more sense for them to find a feature film quality leading man.

Last edited:
DC's TV guy needs to take a break...or move to the film division.

With Arrow and Flash at the CW, Jim Gordon getting his own show at Fox, and now Constantine airing on NBC... does this mean that they can't do crossovers? Or is it that none of these shows take place within the same continuity?

With Arrow and Flash at the CW, Jim Gordon getting his own show at Fox, and now Constantine airing on NBC... does this mean that they can't do crossovers? Or is it that none of these shows take place within the same continuity?

Do they need crossovers? Constantine was outside of DC's continuity for decades anyways.

I have a hard time believing all these shows are connected to each other, let alone to what they're doing on the big screen. In fact, I'm almost positive if they were connected then DC would have announced something to that effect by now. So, I'm pretty sure these shows aren't connected.

That said, it's really not that important for DC to connect their stuff. Their comics and universe have never been as connected as Marvel's...the argument can be made that they're really meant to standalone honestly, outside of Justice League related comics, Batman and Superman, and mega events that result in reboots.

What they can do is, if they ever find themselves using the same character in Arrow/Flash or this Constantine show, they can just use the same actor...although there really shouldn't be that much overlap between this, Gotham, and those two shows honestly.

Hope we hear something about Booster Gold soon.

Done right, this could be damn good. Surprised at the development, but definitely interested.

I have a hard time believing all these shows are connected to each other, let alone to what they're doing on the big screen. In fact, I'm almost positive if they were connected then DC would have announced something to that effect by now. So, I'm pretty sure these shows aren't connected.

That said, it's really not that important for DC to connect their stuff. Their comics and universe have never been as connected as Marvel's...the argument can be made that they're really meant to standalone honestly, outside of Justice League related comics, Batman and Superman, and mega events that result in reboots.

What they can do is, if they ever find themselves using the same character in Arrow/Flash or this Constantine show, they can just use the same actor...although there really shouldn't be that much overlap between this, Gotham, and those two shows honestly.

Hope we hear something about Booster Gold soon.

Well, they can't really announce stuff like Constantine or Gotham until they've actually landed at a network.

I'd much rather they just be their own thing. Share universes are actually quite limiting.

Constantine getting his own television show?! Hell yes. This honestly made my day.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i236/Aftermath6/****sm_zpsdfd8e36b.gif

I know it's a punchline by now but....still no Wonder Woman. :/

Well, they can't really announce stuff like Constantine or Gotham until they've actually landed at a network.
I wasn't talking about announcing the shows, I was talking about announcing plans to create a shared live action, or at least just TV universe...and they haven't.

Speaking of shared universes, I'd love to see a scene with Constantine and Batman in live action. Just a dream unless Del Toro will be given the chance to direct Justice League Dark.

I can't help but think this is gonna disappoint. If it were say, a BBC or BBC-A co production it would satisfy long time fans, but instead WAY too many changes are bound to happen. From his cancer to his deal with demons to... Damnit, it's Constantine... Dude should not be on American network tv at all.

(Breathes deep) OK. I got the negativity out of my system. So, who's going to be cast as JC? Keanu? (Damn... Guess I can't stop being negative.)

I can't help but think this is gonna disappoint. If it were say, a BBC or BBC-A co production it would satisfy long time fans, but instead WAY too many changes are bound to happen. From his cancer to his deal with demons to... Damnit, it's Constantine... Dude should not be on American network tv at all.

(Breathes deep) OK. I got the negativity out of my system. So, who's going to be cast as JC? Keanu? (Damn... Guess I can't stop being negative.)

Keanu Reeves? As CONSTANTINE? That is the worst casting ever. They'd cast him and he'd end up being American with black hair for no reason whatsoever. DC would never allow that to happen.

Please all the british dudes are taking all the good roles on American TV anyhow

FOX apparently approached Bettany when they were casting Ichabod Crane for Sleepy Hollow, so it might not be out of the question.

Did not know that. While I like the guy they got. I would have loved it if they went with him. Wonder if Guy Pearce is up for tv work.

What interesting news to wake up to on my birthday. :woot:

I think Constantine is the kind of character who could work better on TV than on film. And if NBC treat this like Hannibal, this could be great.

As far as casting goes, my heart remains with the choice of Paddy Considine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"