Contest Of Marvels II Sign-Up Thead

um...

since absolutely no one is interested in a new and improved DTL, i'll be joining this(if thats alright)

AnnoyingSilence said:
um...

since absolutely no one is interested in a new and improved DTL, i'll be joining this(if thats alright)

#16 :D

Im not sure what ive gotten myself into. :(

Pain. Blood. Sweat. Tears. Basically say goodbye to a year of yer life.

Hi, remember me? I was in the the first contest and did quite well if i remember correctly. I cant believe its already been a year (more than), I wish i had the time to do it again. Good luck to everyone whos signed up.

Recruiting will probably end on Thursday, then everyone will have about 2 weeks to work on their lists.

could you give a site where we can find stats on the characters for those who would like to do research

DarkHellRider said:
could you give a site where we can find stats on the characters for those who would like to do research

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Marvel_Comics_characters

http://www.superherohype.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108478&page=1

The first is Wikipedia's list of Marvel characters, and the second is a list DBM made in 2004 for sites to visit for Marvel information. Some don't work anymore; but, if I have to find out something, it's pretty good. I also visit:

http://www.mutanthigh.com/choice2.html

It's a pretty good site for pretty much every mutant around.

Sometimes the hard to find characters can be found here:

http://www.comixfan.com/xfan/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=47

Hope that helps. Most characters in our list of 512 should have a bio somewhere. We got rid of a lot of Season 1 characters with limited biographies that made them hard to debate for or against.

Dang...the list is the hardest part of the game for me. I always break my picks down by picking out who I would love to have on my team the most, and I come up with a good 70-80 characters. Then, I do characters I wouldn't want that much. Dang, this is going to take a while.

I already compiled mine last week. I may just revise it fer Thursday.

WOLVERINE25TH said:
I already compiled mine last week. I may just revise it fer Thursday.

How many did you do? Don't tell me you got all 512 in order!!!

Phaedrus45 said:
Dang...the list is the hardest part of the game for me. I always break my picks down by picking out who I would love to have on my team the most, and I come up with a good 70-80 characters. Then, I do characters I wouldn't want that much. Dang, this is going to take a while.

Use copy/paste. Speeds up the process a lot. ;)

DarkHellRider said:

You could also look at the last few pages of the discussion thread for this season. We had links for a number of the characters posted there.

Question for Wiegeabo and Trigger. When we were making the list of characters, did we purposefully have two versions of Northstar? I see Northstar - X-Men version and Northstar - Agent of Hydra version.

If we talked this over with JH and wanted it this way, I'll keep it. But, if not, I say we get a replacement player.

I think we had talked about it, but I can't remember what we said. I'd say go with the classic since it's probably more well known. Maybe pick up one of those last characters we dropped off at the end.

Nah, only 70 or so.

Ya know, I think we should increase th' handicap this time and really go with th' LATEST version of each character. Just to shake things up.

WOLVERINE25TH said:
Nah, only 70 or so.

Ya know, I think we should increase th' handicap this time and really go with th' LATEST version of each character. Just to shake things up.

That would be lame because it takes about half of the mutants out of the game. Hmmmm...depowered rictor vs hulk...who's gonna win :whatever:

Most of it's pretty easy to figure out the powers for. All mutants are before House of M. Then, other's we have noted.

Ok, let's drop Agent of Hydra Northstar and give Trigger the character she most wants, Flatman.

The biggest problem with going with a most recent stage of a character instead of most well known is the amount of information on them. We could go with Agent of Hydra Northstar, but more people know about him the other way, and it's easy for find information on the net.

Another note concerning characters: Anything that happens in a Marvel Comic after recruiting is done cannot be used in an argument. The reason for this is because during the course of the contest, new powers or alliances may come that could effect the game, like Rogue developing a new power or Iron Man suddenly becoming a bad guy. (Remember, being a superhero or a villian can totally effect the outcome of a debate. Doctor Doom would go all out, but Silver Surfer's passive nature hindered him somewhat last season.)

So, Mutants are Pre-House Of M.

With everything mixed up at Marvel, we should probably also include everyone is pre-Civil War.

If any character has gotten any type of amnesia due to a current storyline, or they are basically being written out of character, it should be expected to ignore it, i.e. Eternals current storyline or characters from Thor.

If everyone could look over the list and see any possible problems, lets discuss that, too. For example, Beta Ray Bill hasn't really been seen since his miniseries ended. I would scratch him having a human host body, since it's only been seen one issue.

Well, I've got a list of 200 characters so far. After I printed out the entire list, it made it much easier to just cross off after making initial marks, then going to notepad. I should be done by tomorrow. After I send my list to Wiegeabo, I will get the brackets finished. Then, once all the lists are in, I'll post brackets. (Brackets come after, because knowing who's going to face who would probably effect lists.) If people finish their lists quicker, we'll start the contest sooner, too.

Now, I noticed we have two characters who were War in the X-Men Villians section. One is Gazer. Is the other the very first War?

Im almost done with that complete list. :o

haven't we got like two weeks yet. My list won't be done till the end of the weekend at the earliest. Sorry if this holds people up :csad:

Phaedrus45 said:
Ok, let's drop Agent of Hydra Northstar and give Trigger the character she most wants, Flatman.
While we're at it can we drop Spiderman 2099 and put up Vengeance form Ghost Rider:woot: :cwink:

Couple of things about the draft lists. We've got 16 people, meaning 32 characters for each of us. If you're not going to have the full 32 characters, let me know when you submit your lists.

And no matter how many characters you want, your list should be at least 75-100 characters long at a minimum. Actually, a 150 character minimum would be better. But only if everyone submits a complete 512 list will we be sure everyone gets an equal number of characters (if that is the goal). And all your characters should be in order by how much you want them.

It's probably not necessary to say all that, but we had problems last year with people not understanding how draft lists work. So they made very short lists and didn't rank them in any particular order, meaning they didn't get characters they wanted and/or not very many characters.

This season, we dropped characters that were similar to make way for new characters. For this reason, Vengance got voted out this time, and Spider-Man 2099 was added. The only way we'll be knocking characters off the final list is if they are repeated....like the two Northstars.

Wiegeabo, do you remember the reason for two War characters? Is the original War different from Gazer?

BTW, if you can only come up with a certain number of characters you really want, ideally 150 minimum...just go through the list and put in the left over names to get to 512. That will make Wiegeabo's program sort throught the characters and make sure you get a full roster.

And, yes, Hippy Fascist, you will have 2 weeks to finish the list. Just some people are doing it early to get it finished with. I was just letting everyone know that if all lists get submitted, then I will post the brackets and we can start the competition earlier than expected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"