Contest Of Marvels II Sign-Up Thead

Don't remember why there's two Wars.

I've got to look over the program this weekend. But since I don't think we made any changes to how the draft will be performed, it should be good to go. Which means anytime all the lists are in, we can get to drafting.

Just so everone knows, here's how the program works. It takes everyone's list and randomly orders them, keeping this order throughout the entire draft. When it looks at a list, it starts at the top and moves down until it finds a character no one else has. Then that character is added to your final list.

Now here's the tricky part. If your list is too short and all the characters in it are taken, then your done with the draft. The program will check your list, see no one is available, and skip over you. This means you can have fewer characters than others, and those with longer lists can end up with more characters. But, as Phaed said, the way to avoid this is just stick the rest of the characters you don't care about at the end of your list. If everyone has all 512 in their list, then we'll all get the same number of characters.

And a request on the draft lists: Make sure each character is on their own line, there are no numbers or anything other than the names, and there is no punctuation--parenthesis are ok, but spaces can especially confuse the program. What's most important is that every name on your list look exactly the same as it does on the master list because the computer won't be able to tell two characters are the same if any differences exist.

If I have time, I'll go through the master list and create a version that everyone can copy/paste from so the program can read it. Otherwise I'll at least put up a sample so Phaed or someone else can put together a program friendly list.

Just stopping in while at my mom's. The two Wars are differant characters. Gazer is one, but the other is the original War from back when Angel first became Death. He had that robotic horse he flew around on, and he could create explosions by clapping his hands (kind of a focus on something, clap his hands, and then an explosion happens in the area).

And I think we actually agreed to the Agent of Hydra version of Northstar as the main one, and the X-Men version was just left on the list by mistake, but I'm okay with accepting the X-Men version if everyone else is. The main thing with the A.o.H. version is that he's a villain, thus more ruthless with no limitations.

I'm cool with either Northstar. If we agreed on the Agent of Hydra version, we'll stick with it.

As for the lists, make sure that if you want limited characters you say that's what you want. I would like to make sure, just in case if I get a roster list and I fill in the blanks.

Give me limited or fill in my blanks with th' remainin' characters I didn't mention in whatever order...either way.

Here's an example list with just the first bunch of characters from the main list. If all the lists, including the master list, are in this format, then I won't have to do any work to get the draft list program working. (It'll probably be easiest to put the master list in this format and then we can just copy and paste without having to worry about formatting.)

Aurora(WeaponX)
DiamondLil
Guardian(MacHudson)
MadisonJeffries(WeaponX)
Murmur
Northstar(X-Men)
Puck
Sasquatch
Shaman
Snowbird
Wildchild(WeaponX)
Talisman
Windshear
RanarktheRavager
TheMaster
Attuma
Bulldozer
BlackKnight(DaneWhitman)
BlackPanther
Bloodwraith
CaptainAmerica
CaptainBritain(KelseyLeigh)

The 32 I put on the first line is the number of characters I 'wanted' in this list. Basically, if you want to limit the number of characters you get, just put that number on the first line (putting something like 512 will be like saying you have no limit).

Now, if no one cares how many characters they want, then we won't have to worry about it. But, in case we do have to worry about it, this is probably the easiest way to handle it.

For anyone who would like to see one of the four threads we did last season for CoM, just follow the link below. Make sure you go deeper in the thread, as the first few weeks we were really experimenting with the formula.

http://www.superherohype.com/forums/showthread.php?t=189744

A really good example of someone who could really debate very well, look for some of Powderman's posts. Not only was he excellent at this, but he made the others really step up if they were facing him. Sometimes it got heated, and sometimes you really get pissed off; but, I think we were all able to shrug it off when the week ended.

Phaedrus45 said:
For anyone who would like to see one of the four threads we did last season for CoM, just follow the link below. Make sure you go deeper in the thread, as the first few weeks we were really experimenting with the formula.

http://www.superherohype.com/forums/showthread.php?t=189744

A really good example of someone who could really debate very well, look for some of Powderman's posts. Not only was he excellent at this, but he made the others really step up if they were facing him. Sometimes it got heated, and sometimes you really get pissed off; but, I think we were all able to shrug it off when the week ended.
O thanks I was actually looking for this because I was rather confused aas far as rules.

So, I just got back from my comic store. Those who know me know that I get everything Marvel puts out each week. Not much problem there, except for the fact that I live in Washington state, and one box of comics went to California and another to Arizona. But, the good news was that only 2 Marvel comics were in those boxes. The bad news???? Guess what two comics were the ones not delivered. Yep, you guessed it. Astonishing X-Men and CIVIL WAR #4!!!!!!!

Dammit!!!!! I've avoided the bought/thought thread all day, and only looked in on a couple threads today, just to avoid the supposed big shocker. So, now I have to avoid threads for another day AND not read any of today's comics that tie in with Civil War. Also, I have to hope for a little luck. The box delivered to California will arrive tomorrow. HOPEFULLY, Civil War 4 will be in that box. Otherwise, I have to wait for Friday for the one sent to Arizona.

On top of this, I came soooo close to getting in an accident. My light was green, and just as I was about to go through the intersection in my truck, a car went through his red light out of nowhere. I braked, sliding as it rained for the first time in ages, he sped up, turning left where I was coming from...I still can't believe I didn't hit him. I must have literally missed him by a fraction of an inch, I kid you not! It had doom written all over it. Really, after that happened, I went to the comic store and thought, "It figures that CW4 wasn't here. Not my day."

I haven't been able to get a comic (buy or download) for a while now, and I'm seriously behind, so I just dodge all comic threads besides the ones I'm subscribed to. I'm about two issues beind on Astonishing, and that's killing me, and I REALLY want to know what happens in Civil War 4, but I'm staying away from spoiler threads too.

I want my internet back :(

I am tempted to join...if there is room but my time s not my own and i do not know what my regularity will be.....but I am tempted to say yes with the above caveat.

If you think you'll be around for 5 months, and if you think you can spend about 10 minutes a week between Friday through Tuesday giving each character you own that is fighting that week a one paragraph reason why you think they'd beat the snot out of your opponent, I'll sign you up.

For now, I'll make you the #17 slot, and if we don't get a list from you, then we'll know.

Ok, recruitment is officially over. If someone wants to join that you know before all the lists are turned in, then we can add some additional players. Just have them PM me.

This kills the Sign-Up Thread. Later today, I'll start a new Contest Of Marvels II Discussion Thread. This thread will run throughout the contest, and is used for any questions you have regarding the contest. Also, like last season, it's open to discuss anything in. If you did something cool that weekend, if you want to vent about some crap in your life, or if you just want to talk about comics, it's a great sounding board.

Once the contest starts, we will have four seperate threads, same as last season, for the 8 brackets. Bracket 1 & 2 will be in Thread 1, Bracket 3 & 4 in Thread 2, Bracket 5 & 6 in Thread 3, and Bracket 7 & 8 will be in Thread 4. Each bracket contains 64 characters. Each week, we will have sixteen matches, four in each thread.

Phaedrus45 said:
If you think you'll be around for 5 months, and if you think you can spend about 10 minutes a week between Friday through Tuesday giving each character you own that is fighting that week a one paragraph reason why you think they'd beat the snot out of your opponent, I'll sign you up.

For now, I'll make you the #17 slot, and if we don't get a list from you, then we'll know.

Ok how do I provide a list...or maybe I should just check this forum for rules

Ahura Mazda said:
Ok how do I provide a list...or maybe I should just check this forum for rules

The rules and list are in the first few posts. And I put up a couple of basic requirements about the lists at the top of this page, and near bottom of last, that you'll want to check out.

wiegeabo said:
The rules and list are in the first few posts. And I put up a couple of basic requirements about the lists at the top of this page, and near bottom of last, that you'll want to check out.

Just read those thanks, te only question is it does not seem very clear what the deadline for the lists are....mine will take a few days at least if not more, and some seemed to be in a rush to get it in a few days ago!

Ahura Mazda said:
Just read those thanks, te only question is it does not seem very clear what the deadline for the lists are....mine will take a few days at least if not more, and some seemed to be in a rush to get it in a few days ago!

2 weeks from today :up: sooner if possible

hippy fascist said:
2 weeks from today :up: sooner if possible

Thanks I should be able to do that and I assume the only character allowed are the ones listed on page 1 so....ummm I guess I cannot use rune Thor or War Hulk or hmmm..... don't know Pre-retcon Beyonder?

Oh well ;)

Ahura Mazda said:
Thanks I should be able to do that and I assume the only character allowed are the ones listed on page 1 so....ummm I guess I cannot use rune Thor or War Hulk or hmmm..... don't know Pre-retcon Beyonder?

Oh well ;)

nope, also you have to rank as many as possible, ideally the whole 512 or you may end up short of characters

hippy fascist said:
nope, also you have to rank as many as possible, ideally the whole 512 or you may end up short of characters

Got it...don't know if I will do all 512, but given that we are 17 would not a list of 510 make more sense?

Ahura Mazda said:
Got it...don't know if I will do all 512, but given that we are 17 would not a list of 510 make more sense?

so how long have you been posting here then :whatever:

hippy fascist said:
so how long have you been posting here then :whatever:

Ok so I know logic is not always what prevails the most on these forums but it is never to late to start :)

We need a power of 2 since each round in the tournament will eliminate half the characters. With 510, we'd hit an odd number and have problems.

You don't need to rank the whole 512, just as many as you can. Then just stick all of the leftovers at the end of the list so it's 512 long.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"