Corto Maltese, etc ...

CLARKY

Sidekick
Reaction score
Hey hi
I'm perfectly aware it may be egoistic but what about french films?
I mean I know "your" feelings (and mine) towards american movies etc ... and I know mine towards french movies ... but I don't know what do you think of french films? Do U see it in french or in english?

For instance, did anyone see Corto Maltese in Siberia?
It's a wonderful cartoon! Romance , poetry and adventures!

Or the cartoon "les enfants de la pluie" (the children of the rain) ?
Do you know "taxi" ? the cab transforming into a super race car.
Are you aware of phenomenons (well-founded or not) like "Brice of Nice" or "OSS 117"?
Have you seen vincent Cassel in "la haine" or "les rivières pourpres" (the crimson rivers) ?
Have U seen the beautiful B&W CGI film "renaissance" (rebirth) ?
Does it happen that U want to compare the voices between the french version and the english version? 4 examples the french voice of C.Bale in batman begins is even more threatening than the original.

I initially wanted to know about Corto Maltese and have your opinions about it.
But it would be great if U want to talk about every movies I've named.
:)

I've seen a number of French films, but they're mostly a bit older (70's and earlier). When I watch any foreign film I try to watch it in its own language with subtitles. I hate dubbing with a passion.

The French seem to excel in most any art (I hate you all) and yeah, they've made some stunning films. I don't know much about the newer stuff... but, go France? Yay.

Isn't the Corto Maltese what Vikki Vale did a photo shoot of in Batman '89?

yes it is. Maybe it was an allusion to the book ..

Come on guys nobody care to talk a little about it?
Please.
Nobody knows what I'm talking about?

Amelie is one of my favorite french movies

Irreversible was shocking, but excelently well made

The City Of Lost Children is great, much better while stoned

Doberman is what more american action movies should be like

damn the french and their hypersensibilities!!!!

:) :)
guys thanks for the comments.
yeah crimson rivers is pretty cool.
Plas : I agree with U Irreversible was shocking but so well made! Amelie was really neat as well I agree. Have U seen Audrey Tautou in "Da Vinci code" ?
What about the "russian dolls" , she's in it, have someone seen it ?
And Corto Maltese?

I've only seen her in Amelie (one of my all time favorite movies of all time), Deiu est Grand, je suis toute petite (it was okay, but not that great, and the Davinci code... a friend told me about the russian dolls, I'm going to look for it

as for Corto Maltese, I haven't seen it, but I'll promise I will

by the way, Audrey Tautou is the only woman I'd leave my girlfriend for... okay, maybe not

Well it seems to me U've seen more of her stuff than I did !
Anyway , it would be really cool to let me know if U watch "the russian dolls" (sequel of "the spanish youth hotel" , l'auberge espagnole ).
Same with Corto Maltese, I'd love to hear comments about it.
Thanks for Ur comments bud.

But is there so few people caring about something else than american production ??! :(

Fettastic said:
Isn't the Corto Maltese what Vikki Vale did a photo shoot of in Batman '89?
Yeah I thought that was a fictional place like in Frank Miller's DKR.

CLARKY said:
Well it seems to me U've seen more of her stuff than I did !
Anyway , it would be really cool to let me know if U watch "the russian dolls" (sequel of "the spanish youth hotel" , l'auberge espagnole ).
Same with Corto Maltese, I'd love to hear comments about it.
Thanks for Ur comments bud.

But is there so few people caring about something else than american production ??! :(

apparently, a lot of americans don't care about the cinema done in other countries

As a European it's no surprise that I've watched French films. :p

I loved Amélie. Today it actually came to a limited re-release. I never catched it on it's first run so I might see it now on theaters.

Blueberry was great too. Although it was a bit different from the comics.

Les Rivières Pourpres was good too. I'd like to see the sequel, though I've heard it's not as good as the first one.

Mais ne nous délivrez pas du mal was funny. 70's horror film. Two teengirls decide to became Satan worshippers.

La Moustache was fascinating. I was same time disappointed and excited of the ending. And it has master score by Philip Glass. (Well, it's actually his old Violin Concerto from 80's, but anyway.)

Corto Maltese I haven't seen yet but I really want to 'cause the comics rock. Anna nella jungla would be a cool adventure movie(s). (It's from Hugo Pratt too, the creator of Corto.)

There are bunch of others French movies I've seen but don't remember right now. Well, all the Asterix movies I remember, animation and live action.

CLARKY said:
Hey hi
I'm perfectly aware it may be egoistic but what about french films?
I mean I know "your" feelings (and mine) towards american movies etc ... and I know mine towards french movies ... but I don't know what do you think of french films? Do U see it in french or in english?

For instance, did anyone see Corto Maltese in Siberia?
It's a wonderful cartoon! Romance , poetry and adventures!

Or the cartoon "les enfants de la pluie" (the children of the rain) ?
Do you know "taxi" ? the cab transforming into a super race car.
Are you aware of phenomenons (well-founded or not) like "Brice of Nice" or "OSS 117"?
Have you seen vincent Cassel in "la haine" or "les rivières pourpres" (the crimson rivers) ?
Have U seen the beautiful B&W CGI film "renaissance" (rebirth) ?
Does it happen that U want to compare the voices between the french version and the english version? 4 examples the french voice of C.Bale in batman begins is even more threatening than the original.

I initially wanted to know about Corto Maltese and have your opinions about it.
But it would be great if U want to talk about every movies I've named.
:)

I watched Corto Maltese last year and enjoyed it as a sentimental piece. But I wonder when the TV episodes will be made available. Kaena: the Prophecy was good too but I watched that in English. I'm more interested in watching Princes and Princesses again because the storytelling felt more solid.

I have yet to see "Renaissance". But I do love the style of CGI for the animation. I watched "Crimson Rivers" and loved it that too. It's the first time I've seen Vincent Cassel play a nice guy. The corpses in th film looked so realistic and horrifying. I heard the book was more elaborate but I can't read it anyway.

Rac said:
As a European it's no surprise that I've watched French films. :p

I loved Amélie. Today it actually came to a limited re-release. I never catched it on it's first run so I might see it now on theaters.

Blueberry was great too. Although it was a bit different from the comics.

Les Rivières Pourpres was good too. I'd like to see the sequel, though I've heard it's not as good as the first one.

Mais ne nous délivrez pas du mal was funny. 70's horror film. Two teengirls decide to became Satan worshippers.

La Moustache was fascinating. I was same time disappointed and excited of the ending. And it has master score by Philip Glass. (Well, it's actually his old Violin Concerto from 80's, but anyway.)

Corto Maltese I haven't seen yet but I really want to 'cause the comics rock. Anna nella jungla would be a cool adventure movie(s). (It's from Hugo Pratt too, the creator of Corto.)

There are bunch of others French movies I've seen but don't remember right now. Well, all the Asterix movies I remember, animation and live action.

I'm not sure about watching "Blueberry" because of the hallucination/dream journey scenes. Does it still make Blueberry a strong hero?

Did you watch "Arsene Lupin"? One critic said he was played too cold-heartedly to be the 'gentleman thief. I'm hoping someday they'd make a film about Fantomas or the Black Coats.

Rac said:

the sequel is really not that good

Red Mask said:
I'm not sure about watching "Blueberry" because of the hallucination/dream journey scenes. Does it still make Blueberry a strong hero?
If I recall correctly Blueberry did win the "dream battle". Mike wasn't a "junkie" if you meant that, but I don't remember why they took the trip.

Red Mask said:
Did you watch "Arsene Lupin"? One critic said he was played too cold-heartedly to be the 'gentleman thief. I'm hoping someday they'd make a film about Fantomas or the Black Coats.
Haven't seen Arsène Lupin. Fantômas?

Oh yeah, I've seen Taxi 1 & 2. They're crap. But better than the U.S. remake.

Rac said:
If I recall correctly Blueberry did win the "dream battle". Mike wasn't a "junkie" if you meant that, but I don't remember why they took the trip.

Haven't seen Arsène Lupin. Fantômas?

No, I was worried that Blueberry might be too artsy from the dream scenes.

That's the Fantomas I meant. :up:

Red Mask said:
No, I was worried that Blueberry might be too artsy from the dream scenes.
Well, it might. It depends on you're own opinion. After the dream sequence it's basically back to normal.

Rac : I think Blueberry is actually a lot different from the comics.
hey what are the american remake of "Taxi" ? I've never heard of that. What is the title? Who's in?
Red Mask : yeah Renaissance is pretty good. The story itself is average but the whole design/images/colors are really great.
About Corto Maltese, I've seen the dvd box of all the episodes. Actually they have adapted the others comics : la maison dorée de Samarkand (the golden house of Samarkand) , et les Celtiques (the celtics) .

I've seen Arsène Lupin and I found it pretty bad.Romain Duris was good but I think the story was crap.
Did one of you two see La Haine with Vincent Cassel? It's strange , cool but really stange.
hey thanks for sharing Ur thoughts. :up:

CLARKY said:
Rac : I think Blueberry is actually a lot different from the comics.
Well yeah, it actually is. Like the opening credits say "slightly based on".

CLARKY said:
hey what are the american remake of "Taxi" ? I've never heard of that. What is the title? Who's in?
Queen Latifah plays the taxi driver... Do I need to say more?

bump.
come on guys.

hey doe anyone know a tv serie known as "KAAMELOTT" ?

mmm, nope

I saw Haute Tension last week, again

and my opinion is still the same, the French really know how to make any kind of genre the right way

bump
wait to see "hill has eyes" , the remake of wes Craven ; it is totally creepy.
Hey does any of U know that the director of "Gothika" (with Halle Berry) is the lover of Amélie in "Amélie" ?? Name is Matthieu Kassovitz

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"