The Rise of Skywalker Countdown to The Rise of Skywalker: The Final Trailer and Theatrical Poster

DarthSkywalker

Your Most Aggro Pal (he/him)
Reaction score
The idea here of this thread is to discuss the trailers and posters that have come before, before the release of the final Saga trailer and theatrical poster hit tomorrow. We can also talk our hopes for both and then we will be able to discuss them.

So what are your favorites and what memories do they hold for you? Here are my favorites:

1. The Force Awakens: Trailer

"Just let it in." Oh I did, I totally did. There have been a lot of Star Wars trailers, but the main trailer for TFA is something truly special. It has everything. The music, the footage, the showcase of both the old and new, while at the same time not seeming to spoil a damn thing. I will never forget the night this came out, and while Star Wars trailers will continue to come in the future, I have a hard time imaging something having this effect on me again.

2. The Force Awakens: Teaser 2

While the original thrown together teaser for TFA got the hype going, this was the trailer that made it all real. It's hard to match the JJ's trailer for energy, as it feels like the music just propels it forward. Yeah, we're home.

3. The Special Editions: Trailer

Before we knew the special editions were the start of something truly horrifying being done to some of the most beloved films of all time, so many of us lost our collective minds at the chance to see Star Wars back on the big screen, with new footage no less! Just bask in the Star Wars goodness with this.

4. The Rise of Skywalker: Teaser

From the wilderness came this teaser that felt like it was made with the confidence of, "yeah we got this". I am usually not a big fan of trailers composed of longer scenes, but mirroring TFA teaser worked well here, and I could stare at Daisy Ridley all day. Oh, and that ending. The Maker, that ending. Play it, again...

5. Revenge of the Sith: Trailer

During the era of the prequels was when trailers started becoming their own little motion picture events all on their own. And the quality of the trailers reflected that. I was not on the hype trailer for RotS like I should have been after AotC, but the Maker did this one make sure I was going to be there opening day. So many promises from so long ago were on display here. There is so much to it, the sound design alone is better then most motion pictures, and the shot of Padme in tears still gets me to this day.

6. The Last Jedi: Trailer

Where it feels like JJ's trailer have been all about the mysteries, the trailers for TLJ seemed far more willing to spoil a bit. Well, more like a lot. The duality of Rey and Kylo make this trailer, but unlike the other best Star Wars trailers, it is missing that end trailer moment. It tries for it, but the scene itself just doesn't really have the punch.

7. Revenge of the Sith: Teaser

Not dissimilar to the how TROS D23 first look brings the nostalgia, the first look at RotS wanted to remind you where you have been and where you were going. Also who can forget Vader's tiny little baby arms? My only regret is they were missing from the film itself.

8. The Phantom Menace: Trailer

Before the dark times, before the prequels were actually released, the galaxy was filled with so much hope. This trailer is a good example of that. Looking back, it is kind of easy to see where things might go wrong, but that doesn't change the sheer impact this trailer had then, or even now.

9. The Rise of Skywalker: D23 Special Look

This all encompassing look at the saga poured on the feels. It lacks the amount of new footage to put it any higher, but that ending sure is something. Also everything just sounds better with Rey's theme.

10. Rogue One: Trailer 2

In stark contrast with what the first two trailers brought, the second proper trailer for Rogue One piled on the hope. No longer haunting, here we were presented with the idea that yeah, as different as you might think this will be, it's still Star Wars. Also the music in this trailer is just so damn pretty.

11. Rogue One: Teaser

Before Battlefront 2 ruined the sounds of the sirens for me, they were the sound of pure dread. The first trailer for the first Star Wars spin off film set a different tone, that the film itself wasn't quite able to live up to. But boy was it memorable.

Last edited:
5. Revenge of the Sith: Trailer

During the era of the prequels was when trailers started becoming their own little motion picture events all on their own. And the quality of the trailers reflected that. I was not on the hype trailer for RotS like I should have been after AotC, but the Maker did this one make sure I was going to be there opening day. So many promises from so long ago were on display here. There is so much to it, the sound design alone is better then most motion pictures, and the shot of Padme in tears still gets me to this day.

Being 6 at the time, I don't remember this trailer very well, so putting it on now was pretty funny. It's just... it's just the whole movie.

I think The Force Awakens: Trailer and Rogue One: Trailer 2 had the most impact on me.

Happy to see the saga continue and super excited to see how different and new these anthology films were going to be.

The force awakens trailers as well as the rise of Skywalker teaser had the most impact on me. TLJ trailers were amazing too, but those really had me actually screaming!

I remember seeing the revenge of the sith teaser on tv and I was 12 at the time.

Fun idea for a thread. I can't rank them all now, but I will say 2 stand out in my mind as all-timers, in terms of the experience of them. To me Star Wars is really about the experience of it, and the trailer releases are often their own experience, so that's why I'm choosing to focus on that aspect of it.

Revenge of the Sith final trailer: Freshman year at college. I remember being so annoyed that I had to sit through The OC to get to the trailer. Me and my friend chatted on AIM throughout, hate-watching the entire episode. I just remember our chat going dead for those 2 minutes of the trailer, and lots of all caps, "HOLY SH**" superlatives following. The shot that stood out the most was Anakin marching on the Jedi temple. I immediately got the sense that it was going to be the most 'different' Star Wars movie to date, in terms of how emotionally heavy it was going to be. It was just so satisfying to finally be getting to the part of the story everyone was waiting for. My friend was more anti-prequels than I was at that point, but it was a great feeling to be united in our excitement for Episode 3 and the birth of Darth Vader.

The Force Awakens first teaser: Black Friday 2014. I went out to see John Wick, but there was another reason why I was really there. A lot of trailers played first, and I wondered if it was really coming. That first desert shot fades in..."There's been an awakening, have you felt it?" My heart skipped a beat. The shot of the X-Wings was unreal, and that final shot of the Falcon didn't make you smile you were probably dead inside. Later in the day, my best friend/biggest Star Wars fan I know was in town for Thanksgiving weekend. He stopped by, and we watched the trailer a bunch of times. He's a hard person to get excited, but he was clearly melting over the teaser. It really felt like Christmas had come early that year.

I will say that while the TROS trailer was a bit more uneventful, and I just watched it on my lunch break at work....hearing Palpatine's laugh reduced me to a child. One of the biggest "Holy sh**" endings to a trailer I've ever witnessed.

This is the Star Wars trailer that I found the most impactful to me personally.

I believe I was 11 and I knew that I was FINALLY going to see ESB get paid off.

Number 2 would be that first Phantom Menace teaser.

So, is there anything in particular anyone wants to see in the trailer tonight? If I had a top 9 list, I'd say something like:

1. Luke Skywalker, first of his name.
2. Confirmation of the Force Flashback fight.
3. The Knights of Ren in action.
4. Proper X-wing action.
5. Rey, more Rey, and bit more Rey.
6. The Emperor in the flesh.
7. Zorii speaking.
8. Leia training Rey.
9. More from the desert battle.

Of the things we know/think we know, there's one thing from the leaks I'd like to see...
tumblr_maeqcpsLgy1rztnb3o1_500.gif

I would LOVE to see something with Kylo and The Emperor, something that establishing the tone of their relationship. If the leaks are legit
the scene where Kylo first visits him sounds like it could be an awesome intro scene for a trailer

Also really want to hear some dialogue from Rey, to get more of a sense of where her head is at in this film. I am sure we are going to see more of her in action, but a key piece of dialogue that has us wondering the full significance would be great.

Regardless of whether those expectations are met, I am sure this trailer will wow. The ST trailers have all been works of art in an of themselves.

I would LOVE to see something with Kylo and The Emperor, something that establishing the tone of their relationship. If the leaks are legit
the scene where Kylo first visits him sounds like it could be an awesome intro scene for a trailer

Also really want to hear some dialogue from Rey, to get more of a sense of where her head is at in this film. I am sure we are going to see more of her in action, but a key piece of dialogue that has us wondering the full significance would be great.

Regardless of whether those expectations are met, I am sure this trailer will wow. The ST trailers have all been works of art in an of themselves.
I definitely want some focus on my girl. :atp:

My top five favorite Star Wars trailers are:

1. The Force Awakens Teaser Trailer 2
"Chewie, we're home" is, to date, the only time I've ever gotten misty eyed at a trailer. I could still watch it over and over again.

2. The Force Awakens Teaser Trailer 1
I was skeptical about them resurrecting the franchise until I saw that they were bringing back Harrison, Mark and Carrie. This trailer put me even more at ease and the shot of the Falcon was the background of my phone for a good year or so afterwards. I can't believe that was almost five years ago.

3. Revenge of the Sith Teaser Trailer
I flipped out seeing this in front of The Incredibles 15 years ago. I knew that Star Wars had lost some of its luster in the public eye with the first two prequels but I was still damned excited to see the trilogy wrap up and witness Anakin become Vader. By the time it came out, I was satisfied with it, and to this day I think it's arguably the best of the prequels.

4. The Phantom Menace Teaser Trailer
The fact that it was the first new Star Wars movie in my lifetime made it something special. The movie may not have met expectations but the hype that trailer generated was all too real.

5. The Force Awakens Theatrical Trailer
It was quite epic on its own, but the music really pushed it to that next level.

Honorable Mention:

That first ever Star Wars teaser trailer.

"Somewhere in space..."

In conclusion, the marketing for The Force Awakens really was something. :o

Well I certainly enjoyed the new ROS trailer. I had a few goosebump moments, and the music ..... wow.

The trailers for the sequel trilogy do a great job of enticing interest while giving very little the story or plot away.

Love any new dialogue from Palpatine.

9 things I really dug from the trailer:

1. Jedi Training:
iBz6dgA.gif

2. All Together:
jbphn5w.gif

3. You're crying:
FrfPabi.gif

4. The ride of the Rohirrim:
wvVotTG.gif

5. Sith Throne:
0fHPQ8Y.gif

6. Icegard:
xB4fPDJ.gif

7. A Star War:
AA1INE2.gif

8. Something to fear:
ZzOj2ho.gif

9. Always:
1OH1IbZ.gif

Nothing about this trailer made me excited. It looks like a CGI mess. I'm not excited about seeing Rey, Finn, and Poe. I'm incredibly sad that I'm not excited for a Star Wars movie.

It's like Crystal Star level of excitement.

"People keep telling me they know me....no one does."

Yup, that'll do!

1. Jedi Training:
iBz6dgA.gif

2. All Together:
jbphn5w.gif

3. You're crying:
FrfPabi.gif

wvVotTG.gif

5. Sith Throne:
0fHPQ8Y.gif

6. Icegard:
xB4fPDJ.gif

7. A Star War:
AA1INE2.gif

8. Something to fear:
ZzOj2ho.gif

9. Always:
1OH1IbZ.gif

1. Jedi Training:
iBz6dgA.gif

2. All Together:
jbphn5w.gif

3. You're crying:
FrfPabi.gif

wvVotTG.gif

5. Sith Throne:
0fHPQ8Y.gif

6. Icegard:
xB4fPDJ.gif

7. A Star War:
AA1INE2.gif

8. Something to fear:
ZzOj2ho.gif

9. Always:
1OH1IbZ.gif

One thing I think has been somewhat missing from the new trilogy is grand spectacle. This looks like RoTJ times 1000 and I'm 100% down with that.

I'm really looking forward to seeing The Battle of Pellenor Fields in space.

I'm really looking forward to seeing The Battle of Pellenor Fields in space.

That was, oddly enough, maybe my favorite shot in the trailer. Because we've really never seen a ground-level battle like that in Star Wars before. The prequels got close a couple of times, but never with that kind of epic, old-school verisimilitude.

That was, oddly enough, maybe my favorite shot in the trailer. Because we've really never seen a ground-level battle like that in Star Wars before. The prequels got close a couple of times, but never with that kind of epic, old-school verisimilitude.

I have a pretty strong vocabulary so it's rare when I have to look up a word, but I had to look up verisimilitude. Well played Sir.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"