Cover Girl Has Been Cast

A solid look that fits Duke? Duke never looked like an under 30 reject from a boyband. Harsh as that may sound, it's a fact: He looks nothing like the traditional appearance of the G.I. Joe team's First Sergeant!

"Harsh as it may sound"? Do you think I'm hurt by your opinion of what you think Duke should look like?

As several people have stated, it's not unfathomable for someone Tatum's age to reach Duke's military rank, if not a higher ranking than that. So pissing and moaning about him being too young doesn't really fly. To say nothing of this idea of how a military officer should look. The whole "He's too pretty looking to be in the army" argument is just rather laughable. I just find it all kind of narrow-minded, presuming to know how a person in the military would and wouldn't look. As to imply there's never been anyone in the military that could possibly look comparable to Tatum, it's ridiculous.

"Harsh as it may sound"? Do you think I'm hurt by your opinion of what you think Duke should look like?

As several people have stated, it's not unfathomable for someone Tatum's age to reach Duke's military rank, if not a higher ranking than that. So pissing and moaning about him being too young doesn't really fly. To say nothing of this idea of how a military officer should look. The whole "He's too pretty looking to be in the army" argument is just rather laughable. I just find it all kind of narrow-minded, presuming to know how a person in the military would and wouldn't look. As to imply there's never been anyone in the military that could possibly look comparable to Tatum, it's ridiculous.

It's not the rank/age that is bothering me. It's the age of a person who is supposed to be the leader of the worlds top military organization. Most Seargants probably are around Tatum's age but most Seargants aren't the field commander of an elite military organization.

That makes absolutely no sense.
You make no sense.

People would be more impressed with a bigger, more star studded cast - much like how they were impressed with the G.I. Joe universe as a kid.:wow:

You make no sense.

People would be more impressed with a bigger, more star studded cast - much like how they were impressed with the G.I. Joe universe as a kid.:wow:

They're impressed with GI Joe! A Big-name cast is irrelevant when measured against the popularity of the property being adapted. If GI Joe is the big property we all remember it to be, and believe it continues to be, It's not going to matter who's cast in the roles. If you're going to scoff at the cast because the stars aren't high-profile enough, than you were never a real GI Joe fan in the first place.

It's not the rank/age that is bothering me. It's the age of a person who is supposed to be the leader of the worlds top military organization. Most Seargants probably are around Tatum's age but most Seargants aren't the field commander of an elite military organization.

Come to think of it, it doesn't really matter, because I'd hesitate to think that GI Joe was ever meant to be a completely accurate portrayl of any aspect of the U.S. Military, anyway.

Most Seargants probably are around Tatum's age but most Seargants aren't the field commander of an elite military organization.

Maybe that's the point? To show that Duke is such a dynamic soldier and leader that he's risen through the ranks and earned the respect of the brass despite his age?

Without big name actors the film won't seem as big as it did when a lot of the fans were younger.

Please. Transformers had Shia Labeouf as the star of Transformers. The only thing he was known for before that was playing a goofy kid on Even Stevens on the Disney Channel. People know what GI Joe is, just like they knew what Transformers was, which made it a big deal without having big named actors. And yes, I know Jon Voight was in Transformers. Think of Dennis Quaid as the Jon Voight of this movie.

Whoa, easy there, the "harsh" comment wasn't directed toward you. I'm saying my referring to Tatum as a boyband reject may seem harsh in general, but that's what he looks like.

I've been in the army...and I can safely say: No...I've never seen a First Sergeant as young (or young-looking), as Tatum. They all...ALL...look about late 30's at best. As an NCO, he could pass for a Staff Sergeant. And I'll grant you, he could also pass for an officer. But not a First Sergeant (or any NCO of higher rank).

Oh, I also never said Duke can't be played by a "pretty boy", Thomas Jane is kinda "pretty" but way more qualified to play Duke.

They're impressed with GI Joe! A Big-name cast is irrelevant when measured against the popularity of the property being adapted. If GI Joe is the big property we all remember it to be, and believe it continues to be, It's not going to matter who's cast in the roles. If you're going to scoff at the cast because the stars aren't high-profile enough, than you were never a real GI Joe fan in the first place.

Dude, trust me, I was a G.I Joe fan. What I'm trying to say is that I want this trilogy to be BETTER than X-Men, BETTER than Batman, BETTER than Spiderman, BETTER than Transformers, and BETTER than Star Wars. That's not going to happen with this cast, it just won't. Maybe it will make more $$$ but it won't be better than any of those.

Now, if they had:

Matt Damon as Duke
John Depp as Cobra Commander
Christina Ricci as Baroness
Clive Owen as Flint
and
ROADBLOCK!

Then it has the potential to be outstanding.:oldrazz:

Whoa, easy there, the "harsh" comment wasn't directed toward you. I'm saying my referring to Tatum as a boyband reject may seem harsh in general, but that's what he looks like.

I've been in the army...and I can safely say: No...I've never seen a First Sergeant as young (or young-looking), as Tatum. They all...ALL...look about late 30's at best. As an NCO, he could pass for a Staff Sergeant. And I'll grant you, he could also pass for an officer. But not a First Sergeant (or any NCO of higher rank).

Oh, I also never said Duke can't be played by a "pretty boy", Thomas Jane is kinda "pretty" but way more qualified to play Duke.

Personally, I feel that physical appearance comes a distant second behind personality. Even if someone looked the part, if they don't act the way the character is supposed to, it just wouldn't 'feel' right. And from what I heard, Tatum is supposed to be hardworking, eager and willing to learn; all aspects which seem to fit what Duke represents in G.I. Joe (the all-American boyscout image).

Dude, trust me, I was a G.I Joe fan. What I'm trying to say is that I want this trilogy to be BETTER than X-Men, BETTER than Batman, BETTER than Spiderman, BETTER than Transformers, and BETTER than Star Wars. That's not going to happen with this cast, it just won't. Maybe it will make more $$$ but it won't be better than any of those.

Now, if they had:

Matt Damon as Duke
John Depp as Cobra Commander
Christina Ricci as Baroness
Clive Owen as Flint
and
ROADBLOCK!

Then it has the potential to be outstanding.:oldrazz:

Ugh. You don't need an all star cast to make a great movie. All that will do is make people want to see it more. That doesn't mean it automatically makes it a good movie or gives it more potential to be outstanding. Get your head out of your ass.

2is9zti.jpg

Smmmmmmoking! :bow: :heart:

Personally, I feel that physical appearance comes a distant second behind personality. Even if someone looked the part, if they don't act the way the character is supposed to, it just wouldn't 'feel' right. And from what I heard, Tatum is supposed to be hardworking, eager and willing to learn; all aspects which seem to fit what Duke represents in G.I. Joe (the all-American boyscout image).
I've never discounted personality (which is why Nathan Fillion was my personal choice). And I hope your right about Tatum. But these casting directors have so many resources to choose from. They can't find someone who fit's both in personality and appearance?

atleast now this movie will have eye candy... that's one good thing, right? :huh:

say, hopefully Cover Girl's outfit will be form fitting..

Ugh. You don't need an all star cast to make a great movie. All that will do is make people want to see it more. That doesn't mean it automatically makes it a good movie or gives it more potential to be outstanding. Get your head out of your ass.

No, but you do need someone better than the master of *****baggery Channing "Not a single blond hair on my head or any other thing that makes me look remotely like Duke" Tatum to play an iconic hero like Duke. :o

Since when did Duke become 'iconic'? Superman is iconic. Batman is iconic. Optimus Prime could even be considered iconic. Duke isn't even close.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"