The Amazing Spider-Man 2 Criticisms of Pail Giamatti (by other people)

Picard Sisko

Prepare to be Assimilated
Reaction score
I've heard criticisms of Paul G. based on his set photos. Not because he is the wrong choice, but because it looks like he is "goofy." Same goes for Lectro,
but only because it is Jamie Foxx with a combover.

A concern my friends have is that the film will be too corny, but in the style of Sam Raimi or worse, Joel Schumacher's Batman.

Raimi's movies were awesome barring the last one. I've no problem with a certain level of humour. People are quick to forget (or just don't want to admit it), but TASM had some fairly similar moments in between all the mood lighting.

That's true. We had Peter on the subway, Peter breaking his alarm clock and his sink,
the intern being dragged out of Oscorp, Gwen's chocolate house, etc.

I think rhino will be abit goofy, just abit though, as I think he is a villian spidey can troll and annoy, obviously rhino will wreck havok and kick spideys butt a fair bit

But again you can't go by set photos to judge a film

I mean, it's a guy in a giant rhino suit stomping around NYC. It's going to be somewhat goofy, so I guess if his personality is a little silly, what the hell?

Also some of the photos of Paul might just be set photos, and not actual footage (like Paul sticking out his tongue at the camera).

I want to see Spidey swooping in saving people in this movie. SM2 train scene style. I want those heroic goosebumps again Webb! Make it happen!

I want to see Spidey swooping in saving people in this movie. SM2 train scene style. I want those heroic goosebumps again Webb! Make it happen!

I hope that happens

And I would want Webb to not make a big deal out of it.Like when he saved that little kid in TASM it seemed like a big deal.
It should feel like Spidey does this on a daily basis

Like that one scene in SM2 which still gives me goosebumps.There's that car chase and a police car gets flipped in the air and is about to land on a group of people when it just stops mid air,cue to it being webbed and Spidey swinging away 'Go Spidey go!!'

EDIT- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnrxJG3tuuA

This is what I meant

Last edited:
I hope that happens

And I would want Webb to not make a big deal out of it.Like when he saved that little kid in TASM it seemed like a big deal.

Like that one scene in SM2 which still gives me goosebumps.There's that car chase and a police car gets flipped in the air and is about to land on a group of people when it just stops mid air,cue to it being webbed and Spidey swinging away 'Go Spidey go!!'

To be fair the saving of Jack in TASM was a big deal as it was the first time he used his powers selflessly and realised all the good he could do with them instead of just as part of a revenge mission.

it's not giamatti's fault if he comes across as corny/cheesy, it's the director's for wanting that performance.

i'm a bit anxious about the humour in tasm2, as it was pretty hit and miss for me in tasm1. cringe inducing sometimes.

I think he's just having fun with it, I mean he dreamed of being the Rhino since he was kid.

I hope that happens

This is what I meant

i think if that "Go Spidey Go" was in TASM2 it would get alot of hate, its abit of a corny delivery

I hope that happens

This is what I meant

Maybe because it was a big deal for him? :doh:

It was his first, big moment embracing the role as Spider-Man, rather than continuing his vigilante persona by looking for Uncle Ben's killer.

To be fair the saving of Jack in TASM was a big deal as it was the first time he used his powers selflessly and realised all the good he could do with them instead of just as part of a revenge mission.

This guy gets it! :woot:

I've heard criticisms of Paul G. based on his set photos. Not because he is the wrong choice, but because it looks like he is "goofy." Same goes for Lectro,

A concern my friends have is that the film will be too corny, but in the style of Sam Raimi or worse, Joel Schumacher's Batman.

Pail Giamatti? Goofy?
13544__bigfat_l.jpg

Well, we already know there's a scene where he gets his pants pulled down and is running around in his underwear. Goofy? Cheesy? Childish? Yes.

Raimi's movies were awesome barring the last one. I've no problem with a certain level of humour. People are quick to forget (or just don't want to admit it), but TASM had some fairly similar moments in between all the mood lighting.

Yes it certainly did. A lot of people (particularly immature young people who don't know any better) think that making something dark, gritty and serious equate to being mature.

It's OKAY to have some fun too. Take a look at Man of Steel. Completely po-faced, joyless, dark, serious...but no more less "mature" than SM2.

There will be some silly moments with the Rhino (as there should be imo), but hopefully in the context of the film it's not too over-the-top. If it ends up more like Raimi's films then I'll abandon this new series entirely and wait for a fresh vision that isn't a retread. I may be a toothless old man looking for change on the beach by the time that happens though.. So hopefully we get a solid/inspired effort this time around. Put up or shut up time for Webb and co. I'm tired of the mediocrity from this studio since '07.

Last edited:
I am not talking about the aftermath

I wasnt a fan of the whole 'put the mask on,it'll make you stronger'

That was one of my favourite parts of the film.

TASM had some goofy moments too (like ''crootch!''), but it was handled well so it didn't came of as goofy, it came of as funny. I believe that Raimi did not want stuff to be goofy, he just wanted some humour, but he failed because Tobey has zero comedic delivery, so it came of as goofy instead of funny.
Thad being said I trust them it will be handled well in TASM2, because I think they are going to make Aleksei goofy, but when he becomes Rhino he will stop being goofy and become menacing.

you didn't have goosebumps when he saved the kid?

I am not talking about the aftermath

I wasnt a fan of the whole 'put the mask on,it'll make you stronger'

why not? I thought it was great because he did not save the kid by just using his superpowers, he saved him by giving him hope and bravery

Exactly. He saved a kid in a way I haven't seen any superhero do in any previous film and it worked out great

I also liked it all because it shows what a great actor Garfield is; afterwards when he's watching Ray and Jack hug it out I love how even though he's wearing a mask you can feel his emotion.

And, bringing it full circle, it's because of Webb's stellar casting in TASM that I have no fears about the casting in TASM2, not even for Paul Giamatti! :awesome:

Lectro?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"