The Rise of Skywalker Daisy Ridley as Rey (IX)

There's nothing wrong with Rey being a nobody. That can definitely work.

On the other hand there is a lot right with her having Skywalker blood given that is a major theme of the series till that point. Much of the hype created from the last scene of TFA was based on that possibility for many. ANH & ESB could have been great even if Darth Vader wasn't Luke Skywalker's father, but it certainly made the home run that much more likely.

I have no problem with Rey as a nobody.

The problem was, JJ made her heritage a mystery box to begin with, and ultimately, I don't think it should have mattered.

In that sense, I agree with RJ on that.

Her turning out to be a Palpatine, then her taking the Skywalker name at the end for good measure, just seemed like a lazy attempt to make sure the mystery box had a conclusion in which she was related to somebody famous.

I feel he should have left well enough alone , but he wanted to make that connection so , what's done is done.

It's funny but I think JJ retconned his own film!
Some of the things done in TFA were undone in TROS. I vividly remember during the aftermath of TFA Pablo Hidalgo saying that Rey was not a Skywalker, the only Skywalker in the film (apart from Luke and Leia, obviously) was Kylo. They were very adamant on that.
Then at the end of the saga we have Rey 'becoming' a Skywalker. Terrio said in an interview, that you can 'choose your own ancestry'. Yet in TFA Lor San Tekka says to Kylo 'You cannot deny the truth that is your family'.
I think what it boiled down to was that Terrio is a huge Luke/Leia fan. Apparently as a kid he 'shipped' them ( and they say reylo is bad, at least it isn't incest). As they are of course canonically siblings he couldn't make them a couple or give them a child, so he made them a couple in the afterlife and gave them an adopted child in Rey. Han Solo didn't exist in his little universe. How he must have hated ROTJ. TROS is Terrio's little fanfiction on the big screen, he himself stated that he made the film his eight year old self would have wanted to see. Question is whtether the paying audience wanted to see it as well.

Thing is that it all would have worked, making rey a "nobody", a skywalker, a palpatine...if you would have committed to one from the very start.
But you have pretty much 3 movies putting you each of those paths one way or the other and then wanting it to be all of it.

Again the problem is that they had no clear line from the beginning.

You put focus on who she is but dont know yourself...thats a big dumb mistake they made.

Thing is that it all would have worked, making rey a "nobody", a skywalker, a palpatine...if you would have committed to one from the very start.
But you have pretty much 3 movies putting you each of those paths one way or the other and then wanting it to be all of it.

Again the problem is that they had no clear line from the beginning.

You put focus on who she is but dont know yourself...thats a big dumb mistake they made.

Ultimately this was the problem, but things were still recoverable after TFA. I am normally against this but Johnson should have had some more restrictions placed on him in terms of where the story was going.

Daisy is starring in Chaos Walking, interesting role.

I know we may have gotten off of the wrong foot in the past. This film with Spider Boy doesn't fill me with much confidence to be fair.

Kristin Scott Thomas, Daisy Ridley, Nina Hoss Headline ‘Women in the Castle’

This project does. It will be nice to see her get her acting chops around something different. I have seen some suggestions she may even don a German accent. Kristen Scott Thomas is such a wonderful actress. The whole project looks promising, let's hope it holds the production date for early next year. Also, another thing, it will be nice that Daisy will mostly be acting around women rather than men. It will be nice for her to step out of her male co-stars shadow. The project sounds like a proper adult film.

Last edited:
Both Daisy and John seem to have some interesting projects lined up, maybe not blockbusters but things which will stretch their experience, which is a good idea. I wish them well.

daisy-ridley-in-tatler-magazine-february-2021-1-1.jpg
daisy-ridley-in-tatler-magazine-february-2021-0-1.jpg

Of course she did, she can't very well go against the director, he's a friend and she may very well have to work with him again sometime. I myself doubt very much if Ben Solo was slated to die from the beginning, as I've said before I think it was because Abrams wasn't happy that viewers loved Kylo Ren when he wanted them to love Rey, hence her character being bumped up to the expense of everyone else in TROS.

Off topic, Daisy has now come off social media for her 'mental health', can't say I blame her.

There's nothing wrong with Rey being a nobody. That can definitely work.

On the other hand there is a lot right with her having Skywalker blood given that is a major theme of the series till that point. Much of the hype created from the last scene of TFA was based on that possibility for many. ANH & ESB could have been great even if Darth Vader wasn't Luke Skywalker's father, but it certainly made the home run that much more likely.

I think it works better. Reason being, her having been a child of Luke or Leia and Han or Kenobi make no sense. Her just being a new character who isn't related to anyone of import is I think the simplest, and easiest explanation.

One last thing to wrap up #starwarsday: I'm really tired of people still bashing Rey as a character and constantly calling her a Mary Sue....

And yet ALICE from the Resident Evil movies gets a free pass?

Y'know, the character who actually IS a flawless badass like a REAL Mary Sue?

The character who is CONSTANTLY UPSTAGING main characters from the games like Jill Valentine, the Redfields and LEON S. KENNEDY without treating them like comrades and more like casual means to an end? Seriously, name me ONE MOMENT in any of the 3 sequel movies where she deliberately one-ups a legacy character just to show off, I dare you?

Who NEVER has any personal doubts, conflicts or internal fears, like how a REAL Mary Sue doesn't? Because all 3 movies DO give Rey faults and concerns that hold her back, namely her search for identity and her vague memories of the past. Y'all just chose to block this crap out.

Seriously, all that's missing for Alice is a ****ing "Chosen One" prophecy. Even Rey never got that tired cliche. So yeah, **** these Fandom Menace/Youtube commenter ****heads and Max Landis is a bitter *****ebag who's not only a rapist but a writer who only ever wrote ONE good script in his entire career and is only in Hollywood because of his far more talent daddy John (who I'd rather see make a comeback than keep his son in the limelight). This crap is getting old. The sequels may not have been perfect, but they were at least TRYING to write their lead heroes as actual characters. Fight the REAL enemy.

One last thing to wrap up #starwarsday: I'm really tired of people still bashing Rey as a character and constantly calling her a Mary Sue....

And yet ALICE from the Resident Evil movies gets a free pass?

Y'know, the character who actually IS a flawless badass like a REAL Mary Sue?

The character who is CONSTANTLY UPSTAGING main characters from the games like Jill Valentine, the Redfields and LEON S. KENNEDY without treating them like comrades and more like casual means to an end? Seriously, name me ONE MOMENT in any of the 3 sequel movies where she deliberately one-ups a legacy character just to show off, I dare you?

Who NEVER has any personal doubts, conflicts or internal fears, like how a REAL Mary Sue doesn't? Because all 3 movies DO give Rey faults and concerns that hold her back, namely her search for identity and her vague memories of the past. Y'all just chose to block this crap out.

Seriously, all that's missing for Alice is a ****ing "Chosen One" prophecy. Even Rey never got that tired cliche. So yeah, **** these Fandom Menace/Youtube commenter ****heads and Max Landis is a bitter *****ebag who's not only a rapist but a writer who only ever wrote ONE good script in his entire career and is only in Hollywood because of his far more talent daddy John (who I'd rather see make a comeback than keep his son in the limelight). This crap is getting old. The sequels may not have been perfect, but they were at least TRYING to write their lead heroes as actual characters. Fight the REAL enemy.

I think you're barking up the wrong tree with this argument.

1. I don't subscribe to the Rey is a Mary Sue notion
2. Alice has NEVER gotten a free pass. Plenty of hardcore Resident Evil fans have complained about Alice being a Mary Sue, nepotism, etc.
3. Sure the Resident Evil movies have a bit of an audience and made decent money, but those movies are a drop in the bucket compared to Star Wars. Resident Evil all the films collectively were probably seen by a fraction of the audience who watched and probably loved Rey in Star Wars.
4. Pointing out Alice to prop up Rey doesn't really work. They aren't making anymore movies about Alice. Also, those movies were widely panned compared to Force Awakens and Last Jedi.
5. But basically a lot of those points have been raised about Alice, and I've never really seen the character get a free pass.
6. I personally loath the Resident Evil films, the writing of Alice as a character and the writing of those films in general. It's even worse as a longtime fans of the game, and this is a game series that has no shortage of action heroines.

I think you're barking up the wrong tree with this argument.

1. I don't subscribe to the Rey is a Mary Sue notion
2. Alice has NEVER gotten a free pass. Plenty of hardcore Resident Evil fans have complained about Alice being a Mary Sue, nepotism, etc.
3. Sure the Resident Evil movies have a bit of an audience and made decent money, but those movies are a drop in the bucket compared to Star Wars. Resident Evil all the films collectively were probably seen by a fraction of the audience who watched and probably loved Rey in Star Wars.
4. Pointing out Alice to prop up Rey doesn't really work. They aren't making anymore movies about Alice. Also, those movies were widely panned compared to Force Awakens and Last Jedi.
5. But basically a lot of those points have been raised about Alice, and I've never really seen the character get a free pass.
6. I personally loath the Resident Evil films, the writing of Alice as a character and the writing of those films in general. It's even worse as a longtime fans of the game, and this is a game series that has no shortage of action heroines.
The reason I used that comparison was because those on the Internet who DO subscribe to that bull**** seem to have forgotten what an actual Mary Sue is written like! I wasn't calling out you or anyone on this board in particular. It just seems like those who follow Youtube jerks like GeeksAndGamers and Razorfist been using that phase to dunk on female leads like Carol Danvers and Furiosa. Rey was just the one that got the most heat because of Max "The Rapist Hack" Landis.

I don't see Alice getting a free pass and anyway, those movies are long done at this point anyway.

Daisy Ridley is filming a new film, far different from her usual stuff, she's playing a young american woman protecting her daughter from her father who's broken out of jail. Thought I would post some pictures of her on set. It's nice to see her back on set in a proper movie and away from sci-fi. Also Ophelia is now available on Netflix, so that is available to a much larger audience.

E4MZH2WVgAEsVom

E5D5zXAXEAAOi3d

E5UkuvCXwAAD005
E5VyE6FXEAM3Bl1
E7LOWa8VEAAf81D
E7LOWuaVcAERVrw
E7LOujBVIAgP0vZ
E7Us0lqXoAU88TA
E7UtAXsWUAIbgyo

Daisy Ridley was a charming discovery and a great lead for Star Wars. Curious to see what her career will bring.

I think she'll return as Rey eventually too. As much as I hate what TROS did with her character, I can totally picture her becoming a villain for a new trilogy now that she's a Palpatine.

I despise Rey, sadly post TROS, but I like Daisy - she has come across as genuine and nice natured every interview I've seen, and those who've worked with her don't have a bad thing to say about her.

One thing I do want to say about Rey, and I think you can make fair criticisms about her character, however, what about the Child?

I think it is a little unfair that the Child avoided a lot of the criticisms that were put forth on Rey.

Specifically, The Child is strong in the Force and knows how to use its powers without any formal training. It already knows how to instinctually use Force heal without ever being taught. Yes, technically the Child is already 50 years old, but still in infancy. But is it really fair to put those type of complaints on Rey and not The Child as a character?

It's absolutely unfair, but Star Wars fans will probably hate on that fact. I'm not trying to start an argument, but we all know the reason some are harsher on Rey than they are on something like Baby Yoda. There's no reason a baby, whether hes 50 years old or not, should be able to use the force so easily, and people forgive it and not Rey.

A lot of Rey's exploits are blown out of proportion as well. And all of her feats she "excelled" in are explained or set up in the movie.

This is an excellent video proving why she's not a "mary sue?"

As a slight correction, Grogu did receive formal training at the Jedi Temple. However, we didn't know that at the time. But he is still very strong in the Force and already highly skilled despite his infancy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

• Lily Adler
    🔥🍨Getting hot scoops🍨🔥 (she/her)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"